Register in your country?

Would it be safer and more secure if you register a domain from a registrar in your own country? For instance, i'm in Canada. Let's say i register a domain from a Canadian based registrar, which becomes very popular (and valuable) later on. And let's say the registrar loses or steals my domain. Wouldn't it be easier for me to take legal action against them in Canada (since we're both there), as opposed to a US based company?

I would recommend same country in most instances.

What extension are you thinking about using? .com ? .ca ?

If you choose a good registrar, you will not have to worry much about them losing or stealing the domain name.

Quote Originally Posted by mv808
    And let's say the registrar loses or steals my domain. Wouldn't it be easier for me to take legal action against them in Canada (since we're both there), as opposed to a US based company?
    On those 2 aspects alone, it makes sense to register your domain name with one
    based in Canada.

However, be aware that most registrars have taken excellent care in making their
    disclaimers, limits of liabilities, etc. That won't stop you from taking legal action if
    you have valid grounds to do so, but their legal fine prints can still protect them
    and even give them due cause to sue you.

I agree with bronzedirt, though: you have little to nothing to worry about if you
    choose a good registrar. What you should be prepared for, though, is to pay extra
    if you want extra support.

With many registrars charging about $6-10 per year for .com, they have little to no
    incentive to help you should complex and potential legal issues occur. They'll do
    what they can to protect your domain name, but you should do your part as well.

If you register with a registrar in your own country then you are dealing with them under the laws of your own country, which can often make things easier.

Being UK-based I would certainly never use anything other than a UK-based company to register .uk domains. I am currently using a US-based company for GTLD domains (for largely historical reasons) but would use a UK company if I was starting again.

i dont think so ... this realy doesnt matters ... it more depends on features and controls they are providing with domain

Quote Originally Posted by hitmeback
    i dont think so ... this realy doesnt matters ... it more depends on features and controls they are providing with domain
    It doesn't matter if all goes well and there are no problems or disputes. If there is any kind of problem or dispute (say, a registrar terminating your domain for some alleged "violation") it's much easier to go to court (or refer matters to consumer protection bodies) in your own country than in some place the other side of the world.

Thinking that all that matters are the features on a control panel is pretty naive IMVHO.

its usually closer to reach them incase of problems.

but with your example, its unbelievable that certain company would steal your domain because it ot famous unless its so small and can vanish in a day time
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Ok, what about web hosting, does it matter what country i get it from? Or is that less risky? Would it be easy for me to switch my site to another host if i get shut down?

Quote Originally Posted by mv808
    Ok, what about web hosting, does it matter what country i get it from? Or is that less risky? Would it be easy for me to switch my site to another host if i get shut down?
    If you have control of your domain then switching hosts is no problem. Always make sure that...:

- Your details (and not someone else's) are in the registrant field of the registration
    - Your details (and not someone else's) are in the admin contact field of the registration
    - You don't register your domain through your web hosting company
    - You don't arrange hosting through your registration company

As for "own country vs another country": Anything that involves any kind of contractual relationship (whether it's web hosting or ordering goods) is always best done in your own country because you don't have to worry about trying to get your money back from someone the other side of the world. Cross-border transactions always carry some extra degree of risk. I have ordered goods and services from abroad in the full knowledge of that extra risk, and so far I have not had any problems... but I am always very conscious of that extra risk, and I prefer to use suppliers in the UK if I can.

Domains are ruled by the Registries.
    Registrars must obey the Registry rules.
    Resellers are the few people or companies using registrar systems.

My rules for protection are as follows:

1) Find the Accredited registrar from the folowing list

CA Domains: http://ro.cira.ca/re_choose_en
    COM/NET: http://icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html
    EU: http://list.eurid.eu/registrars/List...rs.htm?lang=en

2) Use their tools to register domain names

- Save money
    - save time
    - direct access to registrar

3) Learn to use Whois

- COM/NET: http://www.internic.net/
    - CA: http://www.cira.ca/en/home.html
    - EU: http://www.whois.eu

4) Make sure your domain name is registrar-locked for COM/NET domains

5) Make sure you proint out or saved the usernames and passwords sent by these authorities for future reference

6) Make sure you are accessible at the admin email adress of your domain name.

The country

Technically: Is not important because you go with the registry for any kind of dispute.

Morally: Important, because you should support the businesses in your own company.
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

Quote Originally Posted by mbulent

The country

Technically: Is not important because you go with the registry for any kind of dispute.

Morally: Important, because you should support the businesses in your own company.

Have you ever tried to get a GTLD registry to resolve a dispute with a registrar??? Or are you simply saying what you're saying because you think that's how things work?

When you register a GTLD domain your contract is with the registrar, under the jurisdiction of the country in which the registrar is based or incorporated. If disputes (especially disputes of a financial nature) cannot be resolved direct the only recourse you have is through the courts of the country under whose jurisdiction you entered into the contract - i.e., the courts of the country in which the registrar is based. If you are in the UK and your registrar is in India then your contract with your registrar is made under Indian law, not UK law nor the law of the country where the registry is based.

No;

i haven't had that experience.

I am speaking from a registrar point of view. I can't speak the on sequences of such issues because i have no law knowledge and experience more than a regular person.

I was trying to share my experince on protecting the domain name so that you would never need a lawyer or court action.

Wherever you open the law suit, they will have to take the dispute policies of the registries.

FOR CIRA: http://www.cira.ca/en/cat_Dpr.html

FOR ICANN: http://www.icann.org/udrp/udrp.htm

CA domain names are very well protected.

The problem lies with the Verisign managed tld's and Verisign policies allowing registrars to start and confirm a domain name registrar transfer procedure without a need for confirmation from the registrant.

So as a registrar, we can start a domain name transfer process for any domain name

if it is not locked,

and confirm the registrar transfer on behalf of the client without a need to access the admin email address or his password.

Once a registrar with bad intentions got the domain name transferred under the registrars account with Verisign, he can change the ownership by his own tools given by Versign (change the registrant).

Please note that there are around 500 ICANN registrars and only a couple of them notorious with this kind of activities. Being aware of these registrars and the way they attract domain name registrants to their system is also necessary.

In order to protect that to happen to your domain name, make sure you registrar-lock the domain name with your registrar.

You are the legal owner of the domain name for the time the domain is registered as long as you have your name in the registrant field of the domain name.

Make sure your name is there under your name and your domain name is kept locked and you should not even worry about losing your domain name.

After that stage of losing the registrant ownership, that would be very costly and almost impossible to get your domain name back if your registrar does not agree or help.

So, tie your monkey tight and don't worry that he runs away overnight.
    Last edited by mbulent; 09-13-2006 at 11:27 PM.
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.