Thread: Kernal Updates?

Kernal Updates?

Hello

How may i update my server's kernal to latest stable version?

or i must hire a management company to dothat?

details please thank you

it is complicated work so i suggest hire skilled administrator to do that or your server may be unbootable.
    last time i asked PSM to upgrade kernel for my server and i needed to contact DC twice for reboot :d
    VN-SG Hosting | Shared Hosting | Reseller at very affordable price |
    http://vn-sg.com

It's not difficult to explain how to compile a kernel.

The problems will arise in there being numerous kernel options that you probably wont know how to answer wether you want the driver/support compiled in, not compiled in, or as a module if possible.

In a bad attempt, you may compile and install a kernel that is missing support for something important. Say, you forget to compile in the correct network ethernet nic driver... your machine will boot up and be running just peachy... you just wont beable to connect to it through the network. Thus, having some sort of remote serial console ability, or a quick ability to have someone in a datacenter console into the machine and select a different kernel to boot will be important if this is a production machine.

Worst case, it will be missing something important and will kernel panic on boot up.

It would also help to know several specifics:

What OS?
    What Distribution?
    What is the current kernel you are running?
    What control panel software you are using if any?
    Why do you think you need to, or want to upgrade your kernel to the latest stable version?
    What problems are you having with the current kernel?

Many further questions will probably come up based on the answers to those questions...

Have you ask your server provider? If it is unmanaged, get a third party person / server management company to handle it.

Regards
    Charles
    DedicatedPlace.com - The Only Place to be...
    Sales@DedicatedPlace.com * Affordable, No Setup Fee, Fully Managed Dedicated Servers with Daily Remote Backup. External Server Management & Monitoring also available.

* Moved to Technical and Security Issues

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Stable as in the latest stable os released version or the version on kernel.org
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

If you are using Redhat varient (Like fedora, ubuntu, centos, redhat etc) then you can just use the following command to update your kernel:
    Code:
    up2date kernel update
    If there are up2date available, either use yum. Kind Regards
    Mellowhost - Providing High Quality Web Hosting Services since 2007
    SSD Cpanel Shared, SSD OpenVZ & KVM VPS Hosting
    A Hosting Provider with Complete SSD VPS & Shared Hosting.

This message shown on WHM when I logged in today:
    There are several known Linux kernel exploits which may allow local privilege escalation. These exploits have become commonplace in recent weeks and can be avoided by ensuring that your kernel is updated to the latest available version. While cPanel will help ensure your system services and software are up to date, kernel updates are outside the scope of cPanel. Kernels with known vulnerabilities include, but are not limited to, 2.6.9-22 and 2.6.9-34. Please check your running kernel for updates periodically. This will help ensure the overall integrity of your server and data.

does this affect Kernel 2.4.29-am02 #1 SMP ?

Is that an allmanaged server ? You should put in a request to get the Kernel upgraded in that case. That isn't involved in the same kernel exploits, but it's not the latest version.
    BLUETRIDENT.NET - Reliable Shared, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions Provider
    Managed Hosting with Personal Service
    Highspeed Content Servers, Lighttpd, Ruby on Rails, Cluster Servers & Rich Web Application Hosting

how did you know that's an allmanaged server? well, I'm afraid upgrading might break things. some have said not to while some say to use the latest. I really don't know what to do...

"am02"

am = allmanaged?

maybe he has worked on a allmanaged box? or it was a guess
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by ANewDay
    how did you know that's an allmanaged server? well, I'm afraid upgrading might break things. some have said not to while some say to use the latest. I really don't know what to do...
    You just do the following thing. Login in shell using root. And then run the following command:

Code:
    up2date kernel update
    As you are using redhat variant you should get it work. I replied with this in my last post under this topic

And after this update no problem should occur, as it only updates some specifications under kernel.

Best Regards
    Mellowhost - Providing High Quality Web Hosting Services since 2007
    SSD Cpanel Shared, SSD OpenVZ & KVM VPS Hosting
    A Hosting Provider with Complete SSD VPS & Shared Hosting.

hmmm, that seems so esay to update. I've seen other kernel upgrades that are much more complex. still a bit paranoid.

We've had a fleet of them in the past. We still have a few. For your needs, I would SERIOUSLY recommend, you put in a request to the helpdesk to upgrade the Kernel to the latest 2.4x series. If you're not sure what you're doing, you're likely to void the agreement with AM. So put in the request, and they will do that for you.

AM hasn't ever agreed to do our servers with 2.6x kernels - so you prolly can't ask for that series of Kernel - though the performance on this is actually a little faster - I think .

Imran .
    BLUETRIDENT.NET - Reliable Shared, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions Provider
    Managed Hosting with Personal Service
    Highspeed Content Servers, Lighttpd, Ruby on Rails, Cluster Servers & Rich Web Application Hosting

ok, I will put in a request tomorrow at a less busy time. how long should the kernel upgrade take? I wonder why AM won't do 2.6x kernels. Thanks.