Thread: dnsreport

Question dnsreport

I think dnsreport.com just added a new criteria:

Fail Single Point of Failure ERROR: Although you have at least 2 NS records, they both point to the same server, resulting in a single point of failure. You are required to have at least 2 nameservers per RFC 1035 section 2.2.

Does this mean I should have secondary nameservers from dnsmadeasy or others?

I did some testing on other domains and this is the message indicating that test Passed:

PASS Single Point of Failure OK. It appears that your nameservers are on separate physical servers, and we did not detect the same firewall in front of all servers. We check this mainly because some people have 2 NS records that point to different IPs on the same DNS server.

Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong but don't the majority of dedicated server have 2 NS that point to different IPs on the SAME server? This is a common thing, right?

Hmmm.... I think (at least I hope) you'll find that it's rare for people to set up a single name server with multiple IP addresses so that it looks like more than one physical server. The whole point of having more than one name server -- which is a hard and fast requirement by many registries -- is so that if one of your name servers becomes unreachable for some reason (it crashes, its Internet connection is interrupted, etc.) the domains for which your name servers are authoritative don't similarly become unreachable. (ICANN take it a step further these days and require that the name servers used by an organization seeking accreditation are in geographically separated locations and different networks.)

my server hs ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com pointing to 2 different ip addresses. most serves are setup this way, right?

I have the same problem.
    FAILSingle Point of FailureERROR: Although you have at least 2 NS records, they both point to the same server, resulting in a single point of failure. You are required to have at least 2 nameservers per RFC 1035 section 2.2.

I would hardly call it uncommon that people simply run one DNS server with two ip addresses on the same server.

It's as dnsreport points out... a single point of failure. But, realisticaly for some people this isn't an issue.

A lot of people they only have one server... It does their dns, mail, web, etc etc etc... So if their server crashes and dies for some reason... having an external dns server pointing entries to the dead server isn't going to help anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Domainitor
    Hmmm.... I think (at least I hope) you'll find that it's rare for people to set up a single name server with multiple IP addresses so that it looks like more than one physical server.
    Sadly this is the case (single server, single point of failure) with 99% of servers running control panels on the net. Luckily server reliablility is generally very high, but that definitely doesn't make the practice right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave
    having an external dns server pointing entries to the dead server isn't going to help anything.
    Except the immediate bounces that happen if an MTA is unable to lookup an appropriate DNS record to deliver mail. Users may be more forgiving during an outage if everyone who tries to email them doesn't have their e-mails immediately bounce back while your main server is down.
    Last edited by spaethco; 09-09-2006 at 05:13 AM.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

For a hobbyist it may be adequate, but for a professional environment it's clearly unacceptable. Read RFC 1035....

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave
    having an external dns server pointing entries to the dead server isn't going to help anything.
    Actually, it would. Services are designed to be reliable. When a server, for example, a mail exchanger, can not be looked up it's a very different case from it (the mail exchanger) simply not responding. In the first case it's possible that the mail exchanger (and its domain) simply doesn't exist while in the latter case it's known to exist but be temporarilly unavailable. Similary with http service, a browser error indicating that your web site can't be located (doesn't exist) causes people to react differently than a message indicating that it's not responding.

I also got this error ? how can I fix it ?

Thanks !