Completly Newbie at Co-Location

Hello, I would like some serious and dedicated help on Co-Location. I own 4 Dedicated Servers and I am paying around $1200 monthly. I seriously want to reduce this monthly fee to at least $600 - $700. How can I do this Co-Location? Should I buy the parts and send them to the Data Center? I need some completly newbie help. I know nothing about Co-Location.

Help is GREATLY appriciated.

Thanks & Regards.

That all depends ... what specs are these servers? Are you able to consolidate some of the servers?
    How much bandwidth are you using? etc..

with 4 servers, you would need 1/4rack, that costs around $150/month. a multi-homed bandwidth can cost $100+ /month. It will be cheaper if you use more

currently, you are spending $1200 for 4 servers, so $300 for each. I am thinking if they are managed or un-managed but big servers? Do you have any experience about server management?

He wouldn't need a 1/4 rack if he purchased 1U rackmounts... just 4U, 5U if he wanted his own switch or his colocation provider didnt provide switch ports.

~$40/U * 4U = $160/month for power/space

That leaves a $540/month budget to get some bandwidth... you should be able to pull this off without a problem.

Like everyone else says your budget monthly is possible. Seems to me that it will be more based on the hardware you can afford compared to what you have now. Let us know what you are using the setup for now and what kind bandwith quality is necessary. As far as server building, it would be best to probably buy a solution from another company. But keep in mind, colocation requires your responsible for the hardware(i.e. failures) I recommend you purchase from a provider that will build and configure the server for you. As far as recommendations for Apaq Digital. Now I have not used him personally, but many say he is great and he is nothing but helpful and very active on these forums. Good luck. Jordan

Dual Xeon 3.0Ghz (2 x 2MB cache)
    4 GB DDRII 400
    2 x 73GB SA-SCSI 10K RPM
    100 Mbps public uplink
    100 Mbps private uplink
    2000 GB Bandwidth
    Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2 (64 bit)

Opteron 165 - 1.8GHz (2 x 1MB cache)
    2 GB DDRI 400
    250GB SATA II
    100 Mbps public uplink
    100 Mbps private uplink
    2000 GB Bandwidth
    Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2 (32 bit)

Dual Opteron 248 - 2.2Ghz (2 x 1MB cache)
    4 GB DDRI Registered 400
    2 x 73GB 10k RPM SA-SCSI
    100 Mbps public uplink
    100 Mbps private uplink
    2000 GB Bandwidth
    Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2 (32 bit)

I am not doing business. I just run my own RPG gameservers.

I would estimate purchase price of $2000 each (will be a little less, but always overestimate)

Your bandwidth looks fine on each... so if you can afford the purchase cost of the servers, then you are set with the colo in your set budget.

You would have some hefty up front expense to get started, but by my calculations...within less than a year you would be ahead of the game, and then saving alot going forward from there.

Quote Originally Posted by MSV_AR
    Your bandwidth looks fine on each... so if you can afford the purchase cost of the servers, then you are set with the colo in your set budget.
    ... or can afford the lease payments on those servers.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

I would only add that for your pricing "2000 GB Bandwidth a server " is on the lower end, considering you are looking at 4 servers. You can get more, you just have to ask....sometimes more than once.

I bet he doesnt use 2000Gb per server though, those were quotes copied from Softlayers server he has now.

BurstNET Calucations are right on. Those are real nice boxes for personal game servers Well anyhow you might want to also take a real good look at your dedicated server bandwith graphs before you decide to colocate so you can you decide on a good amount of bandwith for your needs. Other than that, expect to pay Around $2000 for the opteron and xeon and maybe a little less on the 165. If it were me, I would consider possibly 2 woodcrest machines or 2 amd dual core offering with scsi drives and alot of ram. Just an idea. In the world of colocation space and power=money. Bandwith cost money no doubt, but the first 2 are becoming more and more essential. If I were you I would look in to maybe 2 larger machines versus 3. That way you can probably stay around $300 monthly for some quality bandwith(amount dependent).

Note: Window Server Licenses are expensive, so don't forget to factor that in.

Why don't you optimze to "all" dual core systems??

instead of Dual 248's and Dual Xeon get two single 175 (both the Dual 248 and Single 175 are 2x2.2ghz).

That should save you a few hundred dollars.

Don't know if this is an option for you, but many hardware shops can give you a discount if you purchase identical systems.
    SDCServers.com
    100mbps+ Bandwidth Solutions

But with the amount of ram, and hard drive speed the cpu would be lacking. Not to mention for RPG servers you need alot of all the above in my experience.

I might have missed it, but also where you colocate is a big factor in cost as well.

I am looking into purchasing 2 Dual Opteron with Dual Core with around 4 - 8 GB of RAM and another server but cheaper. Where can I search to buy servers and good prices and all that?

I'd suggest going for 1U Sun X2100's, great box and low on power so you don't have to purchase any additional later.

Purchase any additional what later??

All servers can be low in power, it all depends on the processor and ram you use. Using the new processors (Opteron Socket F/Woodcrest) as well as DDR2 ram would help out.

You can customize a good 1U supermicro barebone for a cheaper than customizing a Sun X2100.

Quote Originally Posted by GELucas
    I am looking into purchasing 2 Dual Opteron with Dual Core with around 4 - 8 GB of RAM and another server but cheaper. Where can I search to buy servers and good prices and all that?
    You could search newegg.com if you know how to build servers...otherwise check out apaqdigital.com (lee is very helpful on these forums), rackmountmicro.com, or interpromicro.com...all I've heard good things about

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx
    Purchase any additional what later??
    Sorry, purchase any additional power later.

Great idea on the Supermicro barebone

Edit: The Sun machines come with an AMD processor and minimal memory for under $800 though, so they are a great deal. Never customize it through Sun though, source your parts from newegg.com etc.
    Last edited by iBuyTheSphere; 09-12-2006 at 12:51 AM.

Supermicro barebone isn't a bad idea...also make sure to get KVM over ip and a power distribution unit to reboot your servers..

Kevin
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003