Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheap Co-Location Bandwidth. I need 30Mbps of bandwidth.

Hi,

I currently pay around 725 dollars a month for a dual operton 250 server, with 3 gigs of ram, a 400 gig hard drive, and a dedicated 20Mbps connection. However, I am tired of paying for the connection and the server. I want to build my own server, and just pay for the connection. Can anyone point me in the right direction of good colocation providers in the USA (preferably on the East Coast) that have good prices on bandwidth. I only plan to colocate one server. I need a multi-homed provider.

You will have to remeber on colo bandwidth its not normally oversold so you pay for every bit. As such you might find the savings to be smaller than you thought. You then have to factor in the cost of hardware as well + the fact you would have to repair / replace all the hardware yourself
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

You should be able to find a provider for 30MBPS Co-location for right around the same price you are paying for the Dedicated Server with 20MBPS currently.
    Last edited by sirius; 09-08-2006 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET
    You should be able to find a provider for 30MBPS Co-location for right around the same price you are paying for the Dedicated Server with 20MBPS currently.
    So you mean to tell me I should stay dedicated instead of colocated?? I wanted to upgrade my hardware, and they were talking about a major price increase. For SCSI drives, and upgraded to the latest AMD operton processor instead of the 250's i have.. was going to be like an addition 500+ a month. So i thought in the end it would be cheaper to go colocated. Since i can build the server i wont, and will only have to pay for the connection.

Can someone name places that have good prices on bandwidth??? One of my sites uses 10Mbps of bandwidth (over 3,000 gigs a month) .. and im launching another one. So I definitely need the bandwidth, because ill use it. Please list some good providers with good prices.

You probably will save on colocation, just don't expect it to be extremely cheap if you get quality bandwidth. That being said, what type of bandwidth are you looking for? You already said multi-homed, but do you want something like Cogent, or do you want premium bandwidth?
    James Lumby

If you use 3tb of bandwidth a month , for one site, Colocating is going to be very expensive for you.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Did you want good quality BW or BW that gets the job done and is cheap? Your going to find huge differences in prices, example would be tier 1 bw (level 3, uunet and such) at >$40 per mbps at 30mbps commit, vs Cogent bw at sub $20 perhaps even sub $15 per mbps from some providers at a 30mbps commit.

If your coloing just one server the colo costs will be inexpensive, its the BW quality / cost you will need to decide on. The other person does have a point, remember if this is your hardware you will have to fix / have it fixed. Some places charge large "remote hands" fees to do repairs / onsite work to your server.
    Daniel Pautz - WebNX, Inc. dan >< WebNX.com
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions – Southern California (Premium Equinix Based DC), Northern Utah (Large 120k Sq' WebNX ran) and NYC Based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices on a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP

You can find ATT @ the $25.00 to $30.00 level and Cogent/BTTN at the $15.00 (+ or – a little) level for a 30meg deal……use the host quote.

Theres a few providers here that do $15/Mbit. Should be able to find 1U + Bandwidth for $550~.
    It's Scott!

$100.00 a month for the 1u rental seems a little high, you should try for the $30.00 to $50.00 price range for a 1u.

I don't need TIER 1 bandwidth. I just need something that gets the job done, and something that will allow me to use the full amount of bandwidth needed. I currently host with VOXROX as a dedicated customer. I dont use their premium bandwidth, so cogent is fine. Infact I hear they are the cheapest, I just want a good dead. Can anyone point me to the right host? I dont care about if the equipment breaks, I plan to build a top of the line server with the best parts on the market. So I'm not too worried about that.

Quote Originally Posted by music
    $100.00 a month for the 1u rental seems a little high, you should try for the $30.00 to $50.00 price range for a 1u.
    Don't usualy allow alot of power on those kind of prices.
    It's Scott!

I would definately recommend OrangeFiber. I have been with them for 8 months now and not a single downtime, seriously its been remarkable. When I have a support issue its always been taken care of.

Email their sales guy Mike and mention my SN and he will hook you up with the lowest colo per megabit prices.

I can suggest wiresix at http://www.wiresix.com

They specialize in high bandwidth users and do a very good job.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

OrangeFiber.com / Alphared.com has some really good prices and service. I use them for all of my web services and have had no downtime except reboots and other non-avoidable problems. I use TONS of bandwidth each month and keep a very low bill (More $ In my Wallet!)

I looked around and for everything you want you can get for ~ $500 a month with OrangeFiber.com. I know you can e-mail sales@orangefiber.com for a quick response. I'd say shoot them an e-mail get some final pricing. I must say I love working with a friendly company who gets the job done, and this is what I've always found with them.

In short - I don't think you can go wrong. Low Prices, Great Service, and on a personal note everyone I've talked to has been very prompt and done an A+ Job!, not many places I work with have both, but I guess that's why I put so much faith in OrangeFiber.

Quote Originally Posted by mgphoto
    I can suggest wiresix at http://www.wiresix.com

They specialize in high bandwidth users and do a very good job.
    coloc page doesnt work...

You could scroll the offers section, lots of options out there.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Well I don't know if you'd want Chicago, but FDCServers.net is a cheap unmetered host.

They tell you to expect 5TB-9TB on their 100mbit unmetered for $199.00 so thats about 20-30mbps for only $199/server.

Their bandwidth isn't the best or the most reliable but since you said cogent is fine I'm sure a Cogent, abovenet, telia mix wouldn't be out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by unmgroup
    I currently host with VOXROX as a dedicated customer
    Have you tried contacting Voxel about co-location? It is the parent company of Voxrox, and you'll most likely be able to keep your same IP addresses.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by LifeNIC~
    coloc page doesnt work...

yeah page is missing, the site is nearly two years out of date. We do not advertise and work through referrals and personal client contacts only.

That said, we've got a new site in the works that we should be launching next month to take care of those missing pages

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix
    yeah page is missing, the site is nearly two years out of date. We do not advertise and work through referrals and personal client contacts only.

That said, we've got a new site in the works that we should be launching next month to take care of those missing pages
    Thats good to hear
    A web page is the most important thing in this industry while selling your products

Regards,
    LifeNIC

Quote Originally Posted by LifeNIC~
    Thats good to hear
    A web page is the most important thing in this industry while selling your products

Regards,
    LifeNIC
    Quality of service is as well. Happy customers tends to refer friends and say good things about you.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Quote Originally Posted by Mfjp
    Quality of service is as well. Happy customers tends to refer friends and say good things about you.
    Exactly.

Fortuneatly for us our site isn't how we obtain customers. Happy customers is

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx
    Well I don't know if you'd want Chicago, but FDCServers.net is a cheap unmetered host.

They tell you to expect 5TB-9TB on their 100mbit unmetered for $199.00 so thats about 20-30mbps for only $199/server.

Their bandwidth isn't the best or the most reliable but since you said cogent is fine I'm sure a Cogent, abovenet, telia mix wouldn't be out of the question.
    I hate when companies fluff their unmetered service without telling you how many will be using that 100mbit port. 199.00 might be very expensive if you have other high users on the same port. I was about to signup for their 1Gbit plan for 999 but I could not find any info on their site that says how many users will be using the 1Gbit port... too bad

Quote Originally Posted by registercheaper
    I hate when companies fluff their unmetered service without telling you how many will be using that 100mbit port. 199.00 might be very expensive if you have other high users on the same port. I was about to signup for their 1Gbit plan for 999 but I could not find any info on their site that says how many users will be using the 1Gbit port... too bad
    actually all the bandwidth usage details are quite clearly listed at www.fdcservers.net/tos.html (bottom of the page). You can also contact sales@fdcservers.net
    Petr Kral - FDCServers.net 50+Tbps of internet connectivity https://www.epyc100gig.net/
    10Gbps, 100Gbps, 400Gbps Bare metal servers, VPS, CDN in 24 countries and 36 geo diverse locations
    10Gbps & 100Gbps IP transit in hundreds of locations at best market price

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast