My site got several index defacement hacks

My site got several index defacement hacks this week from the same hacker.

- I've only one php script which was made and customized for me by a programmer months ago

- My site is running on
    Apache version 1.3.37 (Unix)
    MySQL version 4.1.21-standard
    PHP version 4.4.4
    PERL version 5.8.7
    Operating system Linux
    Kernel version 2.6.17.6
    cPanel version 10.9.0-CURRENT-4

- The hacker did not get a full access to the site because I looked at the ftp access log file and the whole opreration there were done thru my IP addres

What the hacker is always doing: remove the index.php + upload a new index.html page

What is the problem? a bug on the script in my site or on the server itself?

Thanks

Whomever operates the Server needs to beef up their Security.

This probably has nothing to do with your hosting account. The hacker was able to upload & run their files because of lax Security on the Server itself.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob
    Whomever operates the Server needs to beef up their Security.

This probably has nothing to do with your hosting account. The hacker was able to upload & run their files because of lax Security on the Server itself.
    I agree, I would change your root password, your ftp password, and all MySQL DB passwords as well. This will keep future attacks from being a success. Most importantly, tell this to your host and see what they have to say. Also, make sure and back up your data!

sounds like the common php injection + perl exploit that's been going around.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

guys, the hacker did not get a full access to the site. I moved the site to another host, I changed the access info, and he still able to deface the index page

Quote Originally Posted by moh2004
    I moved the site to another host
    There are times when one must say 'exactly' what they mean.

If you 'transferred' your account then odds are you also transferred the infected files.

If you did an upload of backup files from your own computer, to a new hoster, and still were using the hacker files, then something much deeper is going on.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

As website Rob says, the problem is in the software you're running - ie in that single PHP page your programmer wrote for you. I'd be fairly sure that the PHP script has a major security flaw and you should get your programmer to fix it.

To find out how it's getting in you should check out the web logs for the domain in question and see what URLs are being accessed. That should make it fairly straight forward to fix. It's probably just an SQL injection or something similar.