Thread: Dropped Domains

Question Dropped Domains

Ok, well as this might not be the *most* hosting oriented discussion, it still is very related to hosting, especially in regards to how hosts treat domains.

Now here's the situation....I wanted to get this domain to host it somewhere, it was expiring...and then set to drop on the 6th. Well on the 6th it was still "dropping", then comes the 7th in the morning...still dropping. Then when I get home from work...the domain was re-registered to a new person. What gives? I am so confused how the process works now.

So you host people...or ones familiar with it.....do you have exact times for dropping a domain name? Is there some way for me to find it out as I have my eye on a few other that should drop shortly?

Can anyone recommend the best way to "snipe" a domain name once it's supposed to drop without having to pay a bunch of money to magically reserve it or try for it on that day?

Any info is appreciated!

one word - backorder

Matt
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

Quote Originally Posted by hg-matt
    one word - backorder

Matt
    Doesn't that cost more than normal....like $20ish? So basically there can always be a line...no way to snipe it out normally?

Quote Originally Posted by AngelusIce
    no way to snipe it out normally?
    More often than not, no.

Many people wish domain names will become available once they expire, just like
    that. But there are certain "rules" in place to accomodate any and all interests that
    are involved, both registrars' and end-users'.

if it was re-registered then wait for 5 days and keep checking on daily basis

if its not available try contacting the new owner and buy it from him

last option is to wait for another year and _try_ to backorder it
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Can anyone recommend the best way to "snipe" a domain name once it's supposed to drop without having to pay a bunch of money to magically reserve it or try for it on that day?
    You might find this thread an interesting read.. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=477474
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    You might find this thread an interesting read.. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=477474
    Thank you Stu, that was indeed a very interesting read and thread, helped out a ton.