SSN# how safe are we?

They are only 9 numbers long my password to my email account is longer than that and my SSN is more imporatnt!

I wish they would change them or do something to make things safer identity theft is only going to rise. Do you remember when your SSN was on your checks and your SSN was your driving license #? How silly does that sound now.

I have been looking for a new job for the past year and they all want your SSN when you fill out a application i just wonder what do they do with that application when they no longer need it?

They should give everyone a number that only points to your SSN that way no one has the real number needed to open up accounts in your name. The only thing we can do is to pay someone to monitor our credit.

btw why are there 3 companies that keep our credit records? There is equifax, transunion and experian.

I wish i lived in CA where i could freeze my credit report.

I don't know that making it longer or more complex would necessarily cut down on fraud at all.

I agree,

I don't think making them longer or more complex will fix anything. An alarming number of people give the crook the number in some form to begin with.
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

Quote Originally Posted by OpenReaction
    I agree,

I don't think making them longer or more complex will fix anything. An alarming number of people give the crook the number in some form to begin with.
    I didn't really mean make them longer but they should do something about it. All we are is that number.

SSN# used to be completely worthless until businesses decided to use them as a form of ID to establish employment and credit. Blame commerce and capitalist...

In Canada, companies and anybody else for that matter, can ask for your SSN but it is up to you if you want to provide it. Specifically with job apps., you do not need to provide it and unless hired, it should not be provided.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob
    In Canada, companies and anybody else for that matter, can ask for your SSN but it is up to you if you want to provide it. Specifically with job apps., you do not need to provide it and unless hired, it should not be provided.
    I wish they did that here. It's no wonder identity theft is such a big problem when your SSN is easy to get. I think i even seen on the news that in some parts you can get SSN by looking at public records.

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob
    It's actually somewhat similiar in the USA. You don't actually need to have a social security number as a US Citizen, it's entirely up to you/parents to register for one. The entire system was developed to indentify those who were receiving government aide during the great depression.

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius
    It's actually somewhat similiar in the USA. You don't actually need to have a social security number as a US Citizen, it's entirely up to you/parents to register for one. The entire system was developed to indentify those who were receiving government aide during the great depression.
    That i didn't know! I have many times wanted to put on a application my SSN as 11111111 if they hire me id be happy to give it to them.

Yeah curse FDR and his programs that our generation is choking on. I'm not mad about social security just the fact that I'm going to pay into it and not get any because it's not properly managed.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

The entire system was developed to indentify those who were receiving government aide during the great depression.
    Half right (maybe). From the SSA Website
    The Social Security number (SSN) was originally devised to keep an accurate record of each individual’s earnings, and to subsequently monitor benefits paid under the Social Security program. However, use of the SSN as a general identifier has grown to the point where it is the most commonly used and convenient identifier for all types of record-keeping systems in the United States.
    You don't actually need to have a social security number as a US Citizen
    Incorrect
    Again, directly from the SSA's Website
    The SSN is also needed for reasons not connected with Social Security benefits. For example, to be claimed as a dependent on a tax return, to open a bank account, or buy Savings Bonds.
    So, from the day you're born, you need a social security number. At this point, it's used to keep track of you for dependency status.

As you grow older, you will eventually want to find a job, right? Well, guess what you need there? You betcha, you need that fancy little thing called a social security number. Why? Because it is (again) your tax identification number. This is used to keep track of your income, as well as other things. How ELSE would you propose that individuals would be uniquely identified? Name? Sorry, but that's just not really realistic. With millions of people out there, the odds of someone having the same first/last/middle name , while high, it is still pretty probable.

SSN# used to be completely worthless until businesses decided to use them as a form of ID to establish employment and credit. Blame commerce and capitalist...
    No, blame your government, not commerce, or capitalism. Requiring SS#'s for Tax idendification purposes has been around for quite some time. This is a federal requirement, not an "employer" requirement, there is a huge difference.

btw why are there 3 companies that keep our credit records? There is equifax, transunion and experian.
    There is one answer to this, really:
    Absolute power corrupts, absolutely.
    Do you REALLY want only one organization out there with the power to screw up your credit score? I don't think so!!! I sure don't!!! Giving ultimate power to one agency like that is, well, it's not exactly great! The system of checks and ballances has been in place for years, and it works, believe it or not!

Do you remember when your SSN was on your checks and your SSN was your driving license #?
    My first State ID (I don't drive) in Iowa was 6 years ago, and it was on there then. No way I could get rid of it. Since, of course they've removed it from "public" view, but, don't even think they have removed it allll the way!!! You know those little magnetic strips on the card? Most likely they're hidden in there

It is your responsibility , as a consumer to catch up with your credit score, to make sure that everything is "kosher" as it were. This is why the agencies are required to give you access to your report when you're denied something (credit, etc), so that you can actually resolve those discrepencies.

Making the numbers "bigger" wouldn't help anything, hell, it would only confuse most people. In fact, going by your own scenario of "who knows what the employer does with the application" , that wouldn't change anything at all.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Incorrect
    Again, directly from the SSA's Website
    You're sort of correct reading from the SSA website. What they don't tell you though, is that really don't need one. By not applying for an SSN you waive a number of rights. For example, if you don't apply for a SSN for your child, you can't claim them as a dependant. As an adult without a social security number, you face some problems - as such no banking activities, credit cards ... etc. You'll see that some Amish live this way, and others who live on a "self sufficient" system. Though oddly enough, now that Chapter 12 bankruptcy has been introduced to the system, you'll find that even more people are abandoning the life style that doesn't require a social security system, since the farming life hasn't exactly been prosperous.

With that said though, people who do not have a social security number can still get a 9-5 job. You then simply don't get the benefit of any EEOC regulations, or any other employment laws. You can still receive a check, however rather than depositing it into an account, you simply get all the money then and there. Regarding tax time, I don't know - I'd assume they just 1099 you.

How ELSE would you propose that individuals would be uniquely identified? Name? Sorry, but that's just not really realistic. With millions of people out there, the odds of someone having the same first/last/middle name , while high, it is still pretty probable.
    What's funny, is that with the credit bureau's, and social security number's, they usually don't use that to mark your credit report. Instead they use your address history, and name. Ask someone with a common name, you'll see they have all sorts of random entries for other people with the same name. I know a guy who had a really common name, and he eventually got it changed after having so many problems.

With that said though, people who do not have a social security number can still get a 9-5 job.
    Incorrect
    By law, any employee has 30 days to provide their employer with a valid social security number. Even "temp agencies" (such as Labor Ready) who specialize in day jobs are required by law to get this from you.

You can not get a (legal) job in the USA without a social security number any longer. It's been that way for years now
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details