Hosting decision, difficult!

Hi,

When it comes to web hosting I'm not really new to it.
    However, when it comes to high bandwidth high media websites, I am.

About a year ago I set up a website which is now, huge. Thousands of uniques a day and thousands of pageviews.

At the moment I am running a dedicated server with Fasthosts.co.uk with an upgraded 768 kbps data pipe. The problem is this is not fast enough for what I need. All in all I am paying about £75 a month to run a dedicated server which is supplying 100gb a month in files. If I had a faster data connection I'd estimate using about 800-900gb per month.

Is there some other route (possibly still dedicated) for the same price with a better service? I also looked at VPS as an option.

If I was to go the "shared" route I was looking at midphase.com, imhosted.com and hostdepartment.com which all seem scarily "over the top" when it comes to bandwidth allowance.

Thanks in advance and good luck if you read the whole thing! lol
    Last edited by markyis_cool; 09-07-2006 at 10:08 AM.

Well i would stay on a dedicated server but with a server on a 100 MB port, check for example layeredtech datacenter or make a deal with a webhost company within a shared account.

Good luck by finding your web solution,
    Interdit
    Last edited by Interdit; 09-07-2006 at 10:11 AM.
    BPowers.com: Eu Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared hosting with Cpanel/Fantastico
    Live Help: http://www.bpowers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Interdit
    Well i would stay on a dedicated server but with a server on a 100 MB port, check for example layeredtech datacenter or make a deal with a webhost company within a shared account.

Good luck by finding your web solution,
    Interdit
    Right to dedicated so far.
    How much is a 100MB port going to cost? And any recommendations on who could supply it?

Thanks for your comment.

a 100mb port shouldn't cost alot more, get it in Canada, the dollar is weak so you may need to pay £150 a month, but it depends , a host/dc could work something out for you..... i would say $200 - $300 is about right for 1tb bandwidth a month on a decent server and a 100mb port.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

For example some LT specials ending today.

An upgrade to 100MB cost 10$ per month
    BPowers.com: Eu Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared hosting with Cpanel/Fantastico
    Live Help: http://www.bpowers.com

It also depends if you need managed or not, and a control panel or not. If you want with a Dedicated, not managed, no cpanel you could get 100mb port, 1.5tb of transfer a month for ~$75 from LT. If you needed managed/cpanel, your probably looking at $110/$150 depending on who you go with.

-Jason
    Have you considered Semi-dedicated Hosting? 4 - 8 accounts per server. Less overhead than VPS, better performance for the price.
    DopeDomains.com - 15,000 New Domains a day. indexed by Pagerank, backlinks, Hits, and Length.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticServer
    It also depends if you need managed or not, and a control panel or not. If you want with a Dedicated, not managed, no cpanel you could get 100mb port, 1.5tb of transfer a month for ~$75 from LT. If you needed managed/cpanel, your probably looking at $110/$150 depending on who you go with.

-Jason
    Nah, I have been running this Linux server for about 6 months now on my own so Managed is not needed.
    If it has SSH access I am fine with that aswell as something simple like Matrix control panel to use.

Thanks for your comments.
    I'll look into this Layered Tech. Because I've been with Fasthosts for quite a while and not been into the hosting services lately I feel lost lol.
    Keep the comments rolling and thanks again.

The Layered Tech looks perfect but whether I am ready to jump into making a decision TODAY is another story.

It looks alomost identical to the Fasthosts package I currently have with a super fast connection and high bandwidth allowance.

How often to LT have these offers on?
    And is there anywhere else with similar packages?

Thanks again!

LayeredTech has specials going on almost perpetually, the types of servers change (usually monthly, sometimes weekly), and Their Monster sales are twice a year (July and December).

Of course, it seems when ever I actually need to order a server TODAY what I want isn't on sale..

As for other providers, there are literally Hundreds, and if you include resellers (of LayeredTech and other Providers) it gets to be thousands.

-Jason
    Have you considered Semi-dedicated Hosting? 4 - 8 accounts per server. Less overhead than VPS, better performance for the price.
    DopeDomains.com - 15,000 New Domains a day. indexed by Pagerank, backlinks, Hits, and Length.

Additional notes: If Most of your traffic is UK based you may (or may not want to stay on that side of the pond) If your traffic is USA/World based taking advantage of the relatively weak dollar will save you some cash, or get you more oomph for your buck.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by MysticServer
    Additional notes: If Most of your traffic is UK based you may (or may not want to stay on that side of the pond) If your traffic is USA/World based taking advantage of the relatively weak dollar will save you some cash, or get you more oomph for your buck.

-Jason
    Well, all in all a UK based server will probably not gain me much (if any) of an advantage.
    I'd say 70% of traffic is UK based and the rest is as far as the US.
    How much of an advantage would I get from a UK based server? If it's a 100Mbps connection is it really going to be noticable with all the broadband connections? Or is it support based, I know support is going to be odd times around the world.

Thr problem I am having is finding a reliable hosting provider. There are thousands your right but half of them are poor and lie.
    As I said the LT offers looks half decent so I'll keep checking for when I'm ready. For now I'm looking. However, I have backup up my site today ready to transfer!