Problem moving a domainname

Hi everyone,

One of my clients has troubles moving a domainname to another server. Iam not responsible for this, since iam a designer / developper, but it 'd like to help the client as mutch as i can. In a nutshell i'll explain what the problem is.

- A client bought hosting and a domainname at company A
    - Since company A didn't have all the features the website required the client openend an account at provider B using a different domainname.
    - Since the website on B is completely ready, we'd like to move the maindomainname from A to B.

Company A doesn't have a feature where you can edit the DNS, this needs to be done by them and it's just the question when they'll exactly do it. Company B needs to destroy the account with the current domain to make it ready for the domain currently hosted on A.

As you can see it's very likely there will be some offline time. That is not the worst thing that can happen, but since the company is located in 4 different continents and thus receive zillions of emails on theire account currently hosted by A it has to be moved asap and actually without any downtime. Now i heard something about CNAME but i have no clue what to do.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to move this domain as smoothly as possible?

I think the best way is creating a uregnt support ticket to provider A indicating the new DNS so they can point the domain to provider B. At the same time, the provider B should have set already the new account to host the coming domain name and after therefore you should create the email addresses as the modified account will have the new domain parameters.

When done, make a domain transfer to your own registrar and point again to provider B.

Just a question:
    if you do a WHOIS for the domain name in question, is the email address for the administrative contact under your (or your client) control or is based on provider A ?

In the first case just request a transfer from your registrar and you should be able to manage the transfer.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by ZulloP; 09-07-2006 at 09:08 AM.

Suggestion:

You don't need to edit the DNS at the A company, what you need is to change nameservers/DNS at the domain registrar, if your customer bought it at A, then A should give to your customer access to the domain control panel where he can change that info.

Once you are there, B should park the domain over the current domain (there's no need of delete the account usually), once the domain is parked, then, change nameservers to B's nameservers, and if it possible, then yes, at A, you need to modify the DNS zone to make it point to the account at B IP.

Hope that helps
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, provider B is unable to park the domain you registered at provider A? They have to actually delete your whole account and then recreate it under the other domain?

And provider A won't let you modify your own domain?

Those are all very basic, critically important functions that almost any provider would give you. I would suggest shopping around more carefully next time you are looking for a new provider.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

yeh, all this sounds weird. The sensible thing to do would be to open a *new* account with host B with the "main domainname". Then upload all files etc to that account, then go to the Registrar for the "main domainname" and there change the nameservers.
    If you do that, there should be no downtime.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

nadabrahama you should ask your client to look at hte domain and insure it is theirs i.e. domain profile by viewing a whois site. UISRegistry.com/whois.php will work just enter the domain name and look up the domain profile. after looking up the domain profile if it does belong to your client, your client has the right to contact ICANN to retrieve the domain and send it off to any other webhosting company. however this is all dependant on how company a registered the domain. hope this helps
    Vincent W. - Brooklyn, NY
    http://www.Nusitu.com - New York Based Shared / Reseller Webhosting Services
    99% Uptime Guaranteed - 30day Money Back Guarantee - Instant Setup

Quote Originally Posted by everity
    Just to make sure I understand this correctly, provider B is unable to park the domain you registered at provider A? They have to actually delete your whole account and then recreate it under the other domain?

And provider A won't let you modify your own domain?

Those are all very basic, critically important functions that almost any provider would give you. I would suggest shopping around more carefully next time you are looking for a new provider.
    You are right. And to tell you something funny. Company A is most likely the most expensive and best known webhoster in the Netherlands. Company B is probably in the top 10 of largest shared webhosts in the USA with tremendous support (exept in this case).

Since i don't want to bash any of the companies i won't mention theire name. I've been satisfied with both for years untill this moving problem occured.

Does the client own the domain? If so then transfer to a new registrar where he completely controls the domain. Domains transfer with the old DNS information intact. When the domain is transferred all he needs to do is change DNS info.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Just a side note, a domain name can not be transferred for 60 days after registration.

The domain can be transferred to any other registrar after 60 days if the domain status is unlocked (even they dont have the admin email address)
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

to tide over the problem for the moment, just register a new domain name
    and move all your data to company b server.

Create a redirect page at company a server so that you visitors are redirected
    to the new site.

In the mean time try to tell us if your client has the control panel of domain or was it some 'deal' to buy a space n get domain free till you host with THAT company.