2 Issues with new VPS

I recently moved to HostMaven. I setup the one domain and then transfered the others over. The issues I am having are:

1. Quota showing unlimited
    2. DNS on my PC.

The first I attempted by running the script command from SSH and I received the following:
    Code:
    Installing Default Quota Databases......Done
    Quotas are now on
    Updating Quota Files......
            quotacheck: Can't find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted with quota option.

quotacheck: Can't find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted with quota option.

....Done
    Resetting quota for azerch to 200 M
    No filesystems with quota detected.
    Resetting quota for supertec to 500 M
    No filesystems with quota detected.
    Issue #2, I am unable to ping and resolve the IP from my computer. I was able to do so from my router. A linksys WRT54G that has a built in Ping utility. When I ping from the router, it resolves correctly. So I have no clue what else to try besides removing it and flashing the firmware (both of which I did). So I am turning to you guys for help.

BTW, HostMaven is a completely unmanaged service. So I have no complaints about them for this. Thus, since its unmanaged, I have full access to Virtuozzo.

Thanks in Advanced.

Hi!
    This is not uncommon...this is because you are on a VPS...and not a dedicated server. Most of the time...if you create one fictional account...and then re-run the quota setup..you'll be fine.

Have you setup nameservers from within Cpanel? You need to....even if you have to
    go to your registrar and setup yet another dns server alias (like I did)...for Cpanel to work correctly...you can't just have a resolver in the WHM as nameservers.

first name server needs to be the server itself (even if this is temporary). Go into Cpanel setup...set the first nameserver ip to be nsX (X=pick a number) and the second nameserver could already be a nameserver somewhere else...does not really matter...just to get it setup.

Also...it is very common for Cpanel to come with nameservers not working correctly.

Go to /SCRIPTS directory...and run ./fixndc . Restart named...and see if that takes care of the problem. most of the time it does. If this does not fix things...reply back and I'll go into more detail.

Also...give it time to propogate...especially the new nsX.yourdomain.com . This all takes time...but you should be able to start learning what's what with cpanel by just typing the ip address and whatever port you want to use:

by default..cpanel uses

Cpanel-unsecured :2082
    Cpanel-secured: 2083

WHM-unsecured :2086
    WHM-securerd :2087

I really need to make a Cpanel DNS Howto about this...these are very common problems with VPS's and Cpanel starting out.

Bryon

I added another account and ran the script to reset the quotas and still receiving the same error.

I have the following nameservers configured into WHM:
    ns1/ns2/ns3.supertechhelp.com and their corresponding IPs.

Everyone else I know can ping supertechhelp.com or gfxed.com and have it resolve to the correct IP ending in .47. I have no idea why my home computer does not ping it correctly. I have tried multiple DNS in the router and in my TCP/IP.

Right now I am running to the router with DHCP enabled and the DD-WRT firmware v23 SP1 Std.

I am using the 2082 and 2086 ports for cpanel and whm (respectively).

I am also on Adelphia as my ISP, so if someone could test their adelphia connection, I would appreciate it.

TIA
    Aaron

Hi!
    Let me check into a few things. You could do this:

Download megaping and install it on your PC (I presume you are running Windows)
    from http://www.megaping.com

This will brings tons of unix networking utilities...and you will be able to do a traceroute from your computer directly to this VPS...and then can figure out what's wrong..perhaps a firewall config issue?

Good luck,

Bryon

Hi!
    Well...I guess I was just lucky on the quota thing...I'll google it later..I relly don't have time to do that right now.

I suspect a firewall..somewhere...is blocking that IP for whatever reason.

Oh..I took a look at the dns setup from dnsstuff.com..it looks fine.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 09-07-2006 at 10:20 AM. Reason: forgot something

Thanks Bryon. I will look at MegaPing and see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron151
    I recently moved to HostMaven.
    The issues I am having are:

1. Quota showing unlimited

BTW, HostMaven is a completely unmanaged service. So I have no complaints about them for this. Thus, since its unmanaged, I have full access to Virtuozzo.
    i am with hostmaven also and i had the same quota problem which as said previously is common VPS , i submitted a support ticket to hostmaven and stated it wasnt a big issue for me due to what i do with the VPS

anyhow hostmaven fixed the problem for me, so while they are unmanaged hostmaven will provide help/support for issues like this
    (i actually hassle them quite a bit and always find then freindly and helpfull)

Traceroute from MegaPing:
    Hop Time Name Details

----- 2 supertechhelp.com [72.232.208.127] Complete.
    ---- 1 26 192.168.1.1 09/07/06 11:30:34
    --- 32 192.168.1.1 09/07/06 11:30:34
    --- 31 192.168.1.1 09/07/06 11:30:34
    --- 15 192.168.1.1 09/07/06 11:30:35
    ---- 2 Request Timed Out 09/07/06 11:30:38
    --- Error: 11010 Request Timed Out 09/07/06 11:30:38
    --- Error: 11010 Request Timed Out 09/07/06 11:30:41
    --- Error: 11010 Request Timed Out 09/07/06 11:30:44
    So according to this, its failing right outside my router.

Also, I did a DNS Lookup Name and got the following results (using Adelphia DNS server: 24.51.98.194) :
    Name Type TTL Status

----- supertechhelp.com Records: 7
    ---- Query Info Request Completed
    --- Query ID 19778
    --- Type A (Address)
    --- Class IN (Internet)
    --- Rcode 0 (No error)
    --- Local Time: 09/07/06 12:14:59
    ---- Answers Records: 1
    --- 72.232.79.47 A 14043 Address
    ---- Authority Records Records: 3
    --- ns3.supertechhelp.com NS 16454 Name server
    --- ns1.supertechhelp.com NS 16454 Name server
    --- ns2.supertechhelp.com NS 16454 Name server
    ---- Additional Records Records: 3
    --- 72.232.79.47 A 158144 Address
    --- 72.232.79.64 A 158144 Address
    --- 72.232.79.65 A 158144 Address
    Doesnt this mean that the DNS is working but my computer is doing something different?

Hi!
    I would contact Aldelphia directly...I've had very little experience with this. Most of the time..it was something easy..like a missing . in one of the records.

I miss I had more time to look at this..perhaps later.

Bryon

I would pay the 25 bucks for one month and have them fix it.

Hi!
    Did you get this fixed? I'm sorry I did not have more time yesterday. I honestly don't think HostMaven should charge you anything for this...this seems like a setup issue...something they should at least look at as part of the deal...and not charge extra. Did you contact your ISP as well?

Bryon

Tyler from HM contacted me via PM yesterday and he fixed the quota issue. He told me to reboot the server and I did, not Cpanel/WHM do not function. We are looking into the issue and resolving that.

I did not call Adelphia b/c I am prolly going to get a run around, etc, etc. But I will see what they can tell me.

TIA for your help Bryonhost.

Hi!
    Glad to help. It's one of my porpoises in life, it is.

Is megaping not nifty? There are many unix-to-windows tools around.

One of the others is Winrar...which can open almost any archive..gz..bz..even iso's.

A worthy investment, I believe.

Bryon