Question Recommend a Free Script Editor

Can anyone recommend a Free light weight script editor, something as light weight as notepad (ish) but with syntax highlighting and possible Intellisense for use with vbscript and JS mainly. The keyword being light weight, not something that takes 20+ seconds to load.

TIA
    -- Keith - StormHosts
    Professional Microsoft ASP, .Net, MS SQL and Reseller Hosting Since 2001
    Visit our Community at Stormhosts.net

hi
    you can use "editplus" which is light weight as u want......

editplus is not free but it is cheap.

Thank you, I've just download it and it seems perfect, I think the $30 is within my budget.

TY again.
    -- Keith - StormHosts

Crimson Editor is free....
    I used ultraedit (not free, but worth it, IMO)

Crimson Editor

Another vote for Crimson Editor, its lightwieght and does pretty much all you need.

* Customisable syntax highlighting with support for a lot of languages already in there.
    * Remembers what docs you had open in tabs after being closed/opened
    * UNIX support (toggle between \r\n or just \n, can't remember if it does \r only)

Depending on what lanuage you're using you might want to look at some IDEs (Integrated Development Environment). Some have build in hints for the language and functions.. for example when you type '$socket->send(' it will pop up "$buffer, $lengthinbytes, $flags".. can be helpful

Thanks for the ideas, I'm sure I've used Crimson in the past, I've downloaded ultraedit to take a look.

Edit plus is working well and has a relatively easy learning curve. I wanted something for vbscript/asp and JS syntax highlighting. EditPlus seems to support these with intellisense/auto complete by way of additional files.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
    -- Keith - StormHosts

I'm personally using DZSoft PHP Editor. It is pretty easy to adapt with as it is very easy to learn it's interface.

You may want to try HTML-Kit - www.chami.com - It's a little bit on the heavier side, but it's got everything you'll ever need, all for free.
    InvoiceMore - Online Billing & Invoicing
    phpDataMapper - Object-Oriented PHP5 Data Mapper ORM

Quote Originally Posted by Aradorn
    Thank you, I've just download it and it seems perfect, I think the $30 is within my budget.

TY again.
    I am glad you've got it. I really it too and it is very affordable.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've pretty much settled on editplus but I am also playing with the UltraEdit 32 (free evaluation).
    -- Keith - StormHosts

Quote Originally Posted by Aradorn
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I've pretty much settled on editplus but I am also playing with the UltraEdit 32 (free evaluation).
    Evaluate UEStudio rather than UltraEdit32 (same company develops them). UEStudio is much more advanced app (framework) as it's got support for intellisense, versioning software, project management etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, the reason I have not is that my original priority was to find a light weight replacement to notepad something as light but with syntax highlighting and intellisense (a bonus), UltraEdit is already borderline, I think the the Studio would be over.

Once again thanks for the suggestion though.
    -- Keith - StormHosts

I've used both EditPlus and UltraEdit for arround 4 years and UEStudio doesn't seem any slower than UE32. Anyway, EditPlus is also an excellent editor, but it does lack some advanced features.

A great one that is often overlooked is PsPad (www.pspad.com). It's free and has most of the features you're looking for. I don't think it has intellisense but its syntax highlighting works very well. It has tons of other features such as regular expression searching, integration with external programs, a "code browser" that highlights the methods in your code for certain languages, a built-in diff viewer ("compare with contents on disk" is an awesome time-saver for viewing your unsaved changes) and lots more. I use it instead of Notepad for just about everything.