Need web hosting for new e-store (OsCommerce)

Dear all

I am launching an e-store using

• OsCommerce (PHP) shopping cart
    • Around 50 items to start with but will expand
    • Don't expect heavy traffic in the beginning
    • SSL needed
    • Looking for economical hosting
    With the above, what kind of disk space, bandwidth, security features would u recommend ?

Most importantly, can someone suggest some good webhosting that will meet my needs? Really need hosting that provides prompt and excellent support and customer service!

Thanks in advance

Nemo

Do you plan to host many large photos or other files? What amount of traffic do you expect?

Hi,

Most hosts support what you require and it's pretty standard with most cpanel hosting companies especially. Please try using the search function for reviews of companies you have in mind and those within your budget.

Be sure to check with hosts about private SSL as I believe you should get one, not shared SSL. Either purchase one yourself and have your host install it or just signup for a host with privatessl included. You'll also be needing your own IP Address note that as that's usually extra charge on most budget hosting companies.

Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Are you going to use your own SSL? or do you need a shared one?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Yeah..i need private SSL (thanks for the suggestion)

Don't forsee to have a lot of photos...or traffics. But u never know if the business will fly or goes down....heheheh

Looking for more recommendations and proposals

Hosting companies can't do proposal (forum rules), as for suggestion, unfortunately, I can't give you any, because we need to have 1st hand experience with the recommended host (again forum rules) and I don't useded any other host for more than 5 years
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hi nemo, welcome to the forum.

If you are going to get your own SSL Cert (should only be about $50 /yr installed) then you will need a Dedicated IP address for your Hosting account. Make sure to find out if it costs extra.

As to getting started, 100 MB of Web space and 3 GB of Data transfer per month should do you well. Will take awhile before you need to upgrade so startup Hosting costs should be small.

Also, any particular reason you are going with osCommerce? Although well known and popular, most beginners to eCommerce find that ZenCart is much easier to figure out. Something to think about as you will be the one using the Admin section. Paying someone to setup your cart for you might be a good idea also. Do not use a Script installer as they are usually behind the new versions and patches.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Template system of Zen Cart is a lot harder to modify, and the learning curve for Zen Cart is also a lot higher.

In reply, have a Client who had never used a cart script before and in less than 2hrs. was able to pretty much do whatever they wanted in ZenCart. By that I mean setting up whatever they wanted in the Admin section, doesn't include Templating though.

Besides, being familiar with both; osCommerce & ZenCart, ZenCart is much easier to update and Template. You are aware of the new ZenCart 1.3.5 version aren't you? Easiest version to work with so far.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Yes, I know, but if you don't want to make a Zen Cart shopping cart look like any other, is a lot harder to modify than Oscommerce.
    However, as I said , is my personal opinion.

Most hosts support what you require and it's pretty standard with most cpanel hosting companies especially.
    He needs not to limit or focus his search on cPanel hosts, as his needs should be fulfilled by most control panels out there.

THANKS SO MUCh for helping out

Believe me, i went through so many research, asking around, comparisons...etc (thank God I am still sane)...

Initially i was considering CandyPress (ASP), since I have been using ASP based forums and sites all this while, I felt CandyPress will be ideal. But later I found out that CandyPress doesn't has a strong community support, meaning if I have problem (I am not a programmer), i will be in trouble unless i can affort to pay $$$ for people to help (i know i know...to start a business i have to invest something first!)

Then Commersus came into the picture, but still....ASP and I find the admin area is way too confusing!

About most of the people said running on PHP and Linux will be alot faster and robust Vs ASP and Windows....so...

Then I read about and checked out OsCommerse..seems to have a good support community (forum) and cool features, but of course on PHP now. Hence, i started to ask around and also got some offers from Craigslist and OsCommerce forums to help build my site....

But now i read about ZenCart....and one guy just told me that OsCommerce has too many bugs, and ZenCart is better! Btw, is Zencart on PHP only? Can it be hosted in Windows based server? or Linux is better!

Now...i am all undecided again.

Anyone can enlighthen me..on shopping carts and best approach? (i hope i am not off topic here, if yes, i apologize)

What i am afraid is to get bad and expensive after-sales support, hence i always prefer an entity with strong community support!!! People are more willing to help!
    Last edited by nemo456; 09-07-2006 at 10:38 AM.

Zen Cart and Oscommerce are PHP/MySQL based, however, PHP and Mysql works on Windows Servers too.

Anyway, if you go with a Cpanel (linux) host with Fantastico or Auto-Installer, you have both pre-installed without any additional charge, you could test both and finally decide to which likes you better.

Have you conisdered a hosted solution à la Shopify for you eCommerce needs, especially since you don't know whether it will fy or die. Buying Private SSL and paying extra for a dedicated IP address does add up.

edit: http://shopify.com/ (no personal experience).
    Blackcurrant Hosting - Ruby on Rails (Mongrel) Hosting. Watch us fly by standard rails hosting!