How do you afford your high bandwidth site?

It seems a lot of people on this message board have successful sites using a large amount of bandwidth (80GB+/month). How do you use the high amount of traffic to generate revenue? (For paying for that dedicated server, etc.)

Are there any banner advertising programs left that can generate good revenue based on sheer volume of hits?
    Last edited by kreativ; 06-12-2002 at 12:30 AM.

Well, actually if you are looking at shared hosting, there are several sites offering what you need for under $50. Some probably under $10.

Today there is actually quite a number of web hosters and thus a high level of competition in the market. Over the years, prices have fallen quite a bit now.

Just check the Special Offers forum or ask for a quote in the Requests forum, I am sure that there would be quite a number of web hosters who would be able to offer what you want within your budget.

Hope that helps.

Edwin
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

http://www.rackshack.net is what they all use

Eddy and Roly,

Thanks for your advice.
    While finding an affordable host is certainly part of it, I was more wondering how people are taking advantage of their highly trafficked site to generate revenue (to be able to pay for the costs of a dedicated server, etc.)

Originally posted by kreativ
    Eddy and Roly,

Thanks for your advice.
    While finding an affordable host is certainly part of it, I was more wondering how people are taking advantage of their highly trafficked site to generate revenue (to be able to pay for the costs of a dedicated server, etc.)
    through membership and donation. We used to run a forum and generate about $400 to 500/month on membership.

isn't alwayswebhosting.com only 10 bucks for 60 gig banwidth? You could check them out

I know of people with anime sites and all there money for the servers come from donations
    VibeHost, A DensityHost Company
    Under NEW Ownership
    Quality, Affordable Reseller Hosting
    www.vibehost.com

Bubble and vibehosts,
    I like the idea of donations, and maybe some special perks on the message board for those who donate.

It beats displaying thousands of advertising banners for a small amount of revenue!

Bubble - Mind if I ask how you handled the donation/membership system? (method of payment, any benefits for people who donate/join, etc.).

paypal has a very nice system for donating
    Under NEW Ownership
    www.vibehost.com

I know a site that uses 1 terrabyte per month, costs him $50,000. That is for a online game, they just eat bandwidth

theres no way a terrabyte would cost him 50k a month thats way to much
    Under NEW Ownership
    www.vibehost.com

How do i afford it, a well paying job
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Originally posted by vibehosts
    theres no way a terrabyte would cost him 50k a month thats way to much
    Vibehost, you might not be aware of what is required in a gaming site from the point of view of hardware and requirements.

just to name a few of the requirements :

just to the router / switch

3 to 5 tier 1 providers ( those are the global players )
    3 to 6 tier 2 or 3 providers ( aol is a tier 2 provider, IDT is a tier 3 provider tier 4 is the regional ISP and tier 5 is the local ISP

so that's minimun of 6 pipes 3 which are a t-3, with a peak burst rate of 70% of the pipe ( t-3 run in the 7000 to 21000 range ) and 3 t-1 as back-up overflow

then you got the BGP4 controls, Why because everyone leaves a slow gaming servers so fast ping time is required

You can not run a gaming server on cogent and expect to have a low turnover.

here is a note: you can have a crappy game design with a fast server and ping times and people will stay and turnover will be low. BUt if you have a slow game server, turnover becomes very high.

this just keeps on piling higher and higher. game server market for the big players of everquest and UO have huge demand.

but here is the catch.

from top to bottom the entire hosting setup cost about 40 to 60 grand in BW, 10K in hardware leasing. the revenue figures are 100000 clients paying monthly 12.95 or 1.295 million. you only need about 10K in users to have a valid profit from the server hosting side.

Mike from adehost
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

This guy owns a web based game, not software. 12 billion page views a month he gets, but he has made the game now p2p so he will cut down on costs and go up in profit.

Originally posted by CritticAge
    This guy owns a web based game, not software. 12 billion page views a month he gets, but he has made the game now p2p so he will cut down on costs and go up in profit.
    12 billion, holy cow. care to tell us whom the site is ?
    Spam hater, and lover of the spews list. Keep the internet clean

Ummm, sure, but dont tell me I am spamming or anything. www.alienaa.com. It use to say 12 billion views but they changed there site (company site, not www.alienaa.com site).

12 billion?

Doesn't that add up to everyone on the planet visiting twice a month

Population Clock

Current world population and climbing

See http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/popclockw

12 billion views a month??? are the site stats public? I would love to see them.

Regards
    www.38h.com - Windows Hosting, Resellers and Dedicated

www.iistalk.net Windows only forum.

Note: Data updated 05-10-2000.

I reckon he is probably counting every page hit by every user.

The Scary Thing Is

in 1996 the worlds population was approximately 3 billion.

woah that is!

To think that we have crammed about 60+/- million into the UK alone

Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    Note: Data updated 05-10-2000.

I think that note is for something else.

If you read the top it says

According to the International Programs Center, U.S. Bureau of the Census, the total population of the World, projected to 6/12/02 at 11:10:22 GMT (6/12/02 at 7:10:22 AM EDT) is

www.38h.com - Windows Hosting, Resellers and Dedicated

www.iistalk.net Windows only forum.

Yeah, page loads. I think at peak the game had 200,000 players. Since then the game has gone stright down for many reason. But anyway, he probably got that figure from when there where 200,000 and each day, a active player would load around.....I would say about 150+ pages.

in 1996 the worlds population was approximately 3 billion.
    You must be mistaken, many people's theory was every 26 years the world population will double nad that is how it was in 1976 it was around 3 billion, I'm not sure how high it was in 96 but it was atleast 5 billion if not 6 billion

This is straight from our US census burea for 1996
    Under NEW Ownership
    www.vibehost.com

Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    12 billion?

Doesn't that add up to everyone on the planet visiting twice a month
    well yahoo does something like 600 million page impressions per month ( may 2001 ) so there might be some truth to this. Most likely he counts every page load

mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

this is definatly possible. I know of a site that does basically the same thing. Has about 1500 players and does about 200-300,000 page views per day.

Just the way it works i guess.

Yeah, but look here: http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/worldpop.html and look how much it starts to slow down after 2005. I guess they're expecting some sort of war... Makes ya think
    Last edited by mlip129; 06-12-2002 at 05:27 PM.

Originally posted by mlip129
    Yeah, but look here: http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/worldpop.html and look how much it starts to slow down after 2005. I guess they're expecting some sort of war... Makes ya think
    No, not really, the USA population is starting a down swing, our population has just about peaked, and the expected growth rate is expected to stall for a while ( stall = less than .50% ).

this is further noted that europe might go and have the same issues.

also there are only so many people that can fit on to the planet. squeeze them enough and you get war's and battles.

mike

Haha, this thread has certainly gone off-topic.