Hybrid View

Unhappy How to disable this annoying setting!!!

I recently did a windows XP update... you know just the regular updates to stay up-to-date but it installed some incredibly annoying security setting which I don't know how to disable even though I tried reading the instructions on how to do it but still don't see how!

The setting that I'm talking about is whenever I open a website HTML file in order to view it on my desktop in IE... if it contains flash the flash won't load and this annoying tool bar pops up at the top of my browser which says:

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options..."

Here's screenshot of what I'm talking about:
    http://www.jaguarstables.com/ie.html

I have to click and tell it to allow the blocked flash content every single time I open a webpage to view it. This is EXTREMELY annoying, especially when designing site's because of course when designing you are constantly opening the page to look at it... each time I do so I get that horrid secuirty tool bar that pops up and I have to constantly click and tell it to allow the flash content or my site won't load.

How can I make it so that it doesn't do that anymore? It's doing it because of the XP update I just installed.

0 Not allowed!

I think it's under Tools >> Options >> Advanced in IE6. Scroll to Security, and check the box to Allow Active Content to run from your computer. (I use IE7, so I am doing this from memory )
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.
      0 Not allowed!

Fantastic, that setting fixed it! The annoying toolbar has disappeared and I can finally open my pages without it driving me crazy.

Thanks a million
      0 Not allowed!

hey Frosty, did you ever end up buying that Mercedes?
      0 Not allowed!

Acroplex ,

I wish I bought a mercedes... but not yet

One day in the future hopefully I can get one if my new business doesn't make me bankrupt
      0 Not allowed!

Shoot... I have yet another annoying setting which needs to be disabled. This also is the result of my XP update.

I included a screenshot... when accessing my website www.jpwear.com online ... put your mouse over the 3 red flash tab buttons in my header... a very annoying square box shows up and outlines my flash with the following message that pops up:

"Click to activate and use this control"

And I have to click on it in order for it to disappear and load my flash correctly online. How ridiculous!

We have already fixed the OFFLINE flash security problem... but now I need to also fix the ONLINE flash security problem.

When you guys access my website www.jpwear.com ... does it do this to you as well? I am VERY curious about this... it looks so silly.... I hope it's not doing it on other's computers but unfortunately if they are running XP and keep their PC's up-to-date with XP updates I'm sure this ridiculous security setting is on their computers as well. How to get rid of it?

Thanks

P.S- It's only doing it in IE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shoot1.jpg  
    Last edited by Frosty; 09-11-2006 at 01:00 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Microsoft strikes again. They have changed the way Flash is embedded.

See http://www.adobe.com/devnet/activeco...devletter.html and http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/ for a solution.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the response

But great, how incredibly idiotic! Why can't they just leave things be, they find it necessary to create unecessary headaches for others.

I have no idea how to change the actual coding on my site to fix this. Now I have to spend more MONEY to have someone correct this. If I could, I would strangle whomever thought of this genious idea.

I just checked a few other sites that also use flash and I noticed that their sites do not have this problem... only mine does. So I suppose those other sites used a different coding for their flash it appears. So I need to have my coding corrected to be compatible. One more headache and expense I did not need!

Sorry, but already having a bad day... now they irritate me with this.
      0 Not allowed!

Does this work for you in IE? (ignore the broken graphics in the menu on the left)

http://www.acroplex.com/frosty2006/
      0 Not allowed!

Anyhow, download this file http://acroplex.com/frosty2006/frosty2006.zip

Unzip "index.htm" in the home directory and "swfobject.js" as well.

I didn't change any of your HTML other than substitute the EMBED statements with the ones that the new javascript handler uses. It works fine on IE 6.0 on XP and Firefox

You might want to do some HTML clean-up though, e.g. put the Dreamweaver code in a .js file of its own etc.

Good luck
      0 Not allowed!

Acroplex, thanks vey much for your help

Yes, it does work and doesn't do that odd thing with the flash in the link you provided. However there are a couple things awry and a bit off... I'm not sure if it's because you don't have all my coding setup in your example e.t.c. and if these awry things will disappear and be normal once I follow your instructions and do it properly.

See where it says "Copyright © 2005 JP Wear" in my left menu... on my site www.jpwear.com it looks normal. But in your example the text it is written in is HUGE. Also see where it says "Section being updated"... when you move your mouse over it the text is suppsoed to turn red. But in your link showing my site it doesn't. The .css style sheet isn't working in the link you are showing me, that's why. And there is this odd little white area outlining my entire site design... do you see it?

These 3 things are awry in the link that you provided showing my site. But I guess because that's just a quick sample you showed me and these problems won't exist when I unzip and upload those files via FTP, right? Do you see the 3 things that I just mentioned which are awry?

Just double checking... actually hold on... I shall try to inzip and upload and will be right back to report...
      0 Not allowed!

Acroplex,

I just followed your instructions and it looks perfect online

Before it only looked awry in your sample link since you didn't have all the proper coding and were just showing it as an example. But I need to fix my other pages as well... I see that you changed something in my index file... what exact code do I need to add to my other pages to make them work as well?

I'm not sure what code you added or changed in my index file?... so that I can fix my other pages...

But thanks a zillion for your help, I was worried I was going to have to change a bunch of things in my coding to fix this. Thanks very much for taking the time to help!

P.S- the music plays differently on my index file than my other pages so the index file has different coding than the rest... so once I have the correct code for just one of the other pages.. I can then of course use it for all the rest of the pages.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, I think I didn't save the CSS file locally.

Changelog:

Add this in the HEAD portion:
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>
    Remove the EMBED objects for Flash 1, then add the following in its place:

Code:
    <div id="flashcontent1">
      This text is replaced by the Flash movie.

</div>				
    <script type="text/javascript">
       var so = new SWFObject("header_flash.swf", "movie", "189", "36", "7", "#336699");
       so.addParam("quality", "high");
       so.addParam("wmode", "transparent");
       so.addParam("salign", "t");
       so.write("flashcontent1");
    </script>
    Remove the EMBED objects for Flash 2, then add the following in its place:

Code:
    <div id="flashcontent2">

</div>				
       var so = new SWFObject("header_flash_menu.swf", "movie", "346", "119", "7", "#336699");
       so.write("flashcontent2");
    </script>

Remove the EMBED objects for Flash 3, then add the following in its place:

Code:
    <div id="flashcontent3">

</div>				
       var so = new SWFObject("flash_footer.swf", "movie", "504", "135", "7", "#336699");
       so.write("flashcontent3");
    </script>
    That's it.
      0 Not allowed!

Acroplex,

Thanks, I shall update the code on my other pages as well tomorrow. Thanks for the help!... now my website will display properly again in IE ... well until they decide to change something else again
      0 Not allowed!

Send my bill to... Bill Gates
      0 Not allowed!

LOL... do you take checks? I "promise" it won't bounce
      0 Not allowed!

Acroplex,

I'm back... I fixed all my pages to load correctly with the coding you gave me and it's loading normally: www.jpwear.com

However something strange has happened when I changed my coding as instructed... you see this page:

http://www.jpwear.com/shoponline.html

The drop down box whereas you are supposed to select what you want to shop for no longer works ever since I updated the codes

Note: Only the "shorts" section is completed... so please ignore the other item options. When you select to shop for "shorts"... it's immediately supposed to take you to that page but no longer works.

I remember you had me upload some type of javascript thing called "swfobject"... it appears that this has somehow interferred and messed up my javascript drop down box?

Hoping you can help!

Thanks....
      0 Not allowed!

You're missing a chunk of javascript:

See

onChange="javascript:formHandler()"
    The formHandler() chunk of javascript should be/have been somewhere at the top.

The flash changes have nothing to do with this.
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Use FireFox - It's much easier.

Mini
      0 Not allowed!

Acroplex,

Sorry I'm an idiot... I had completely forgotten that when I was updating the codes I only updated the code for a single page and then simply copy/pasted the inside content from the other various pages into that code and had forgotten to re-add that line of code to the page for the drop down box page. I will fix that.

But I have just one more site in which I need to update the flash code just like I did for www.jpwear.com but I am uncertain on how to convert it to the newly updated code. Worried that I will cause an error. Do you think you could help me with this final issue? That would be fantastic

My other site has the below 3 flash codes that needs to be updated into the new flash code:

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="163" height="128">
    <param name="movie" value="motion/sec1off.swf">
    <param name="quality" value="high">
    <embed src="motion/sec1off.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="163" height="128"></embed>
    </object>

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="296" height="79">
    <param name="movie" value="motion/sec2.swf">
    <embed src="motion/sec2.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="296" height="79"></embed>
    </object>

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="381" height="148">
    <param name="movie" value="motion/sec3.swf">
    <embed src="motion/sec3.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="381" height="148"></embed>
    </object>

So I updated the above 3 flash codes to the below... did I do it correctly or do you see any errors:

<div id="flashcontent1">

</div>
    var so = new SWFObject("motion/sec1off.swf", "movie", "163", "128", "7", "#336699");
    so.write("flashcontent1");
    </script>

<div id="flashcontent2">

</div>
    var so = new SWFObject("motion/sec2.swf", "movie", "296", "79", "7", "#336699");
    so.write("flashcontent2");
    </script>

<div id="flashcontent3">

</div>
    var so = new SWFObject("motion/sec3.swf", "movie", "381", "148", "7", "#336699");
    so.write("flashcontent3");
    </script>

Now all I need to do is upload the exact same "swfobject" and this site should be correct as well, right?
    And of course add <script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script> to the header...

P.S- For this site I have the flash in a seperate folder called "motion" which is where the flash files are upload via ftp as well... so I was supposed to specify that in the code like I did above, right?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I just re-read my post and I see that WHT added smiles to my codes because it thinks that (: D) is a smile in the coding, opps! Just ignore that...
    Last edited by Frosty; 09-26-2006 at 10:07 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

yes yes and yes
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks mucho for your help

If I may just nail you guys with one last question. Do you prefer the way my page is designed in the first link with the dropdown box or in the second link without the drop down box?

http://www.jpwear.com/shoponline.html

http://www.jpwear.com/shoponline2.html

I can't seem to make up my mind... but I hope the drop down box code will work in ALL browsers for EVERYBODY without a problem because if it doesn't that wouldn't be a good thing in regards to getting sales

At first I liked the drop down box but after my uncle visited my site and had the reaction of "What? Where do I select it's empty the dropdown?"... that has me thinking people who are not that computer literate may have a problem... yikes.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Thanks mucho for your help

If I may just nail you guys with one last question. Do you prefer the way my page is designed in the first link with the dropdown box or in the second link without the drop down box?
    Website reviews is better suited
      0 Not allowed!