Thread: Australia

Australia

Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice on travel in Australia. I'm heading off on a round the world trip early next year and we are just finalising our route before booking next week. Our first stop will be Hong Kong to break up the journey for a few days. Then we will head down to Australia. This is where we need some help!

We were planning on doing Melbourne to Cairns, however to get to Melbourne using our RTW ticket we would have to go via Singapore which is a bit of a pain. Plus the tour ticket up the coast is $300 more expensive from Melbourne rather than Sydney. If we miss out Melbourne we can fly direct to Sydney and then do the tour up to Cairns. The guy in the travel place did Sydney to Cairns and said it was good, but also said he had heard Melbourne was worth a visit! So I need some help from people who have visited Melbourne and Sydney. Are they fairly similar places and is there enough extra to do in Melbourne to warrant $300 extra on the tour ticket, and the extra stop off on the flight down?

Also we have set aside 8 weeks to do the whole coast, does this sound like enough?

P.S. This will be the back packer style trip rather than fancy hotels along the route!

Cheers!

Steve

Plenty of aussies to give you some tips here I bet
    Jan and Bob should jump in this thread anytime time just you wait! I plan on doing an international travel trip sometimes within this decade to visit few countries from Asia to Europe and Australia is definitely going to be on my list as well.
    █• CirtexHosting • Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    █• LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    █• HostV VPS • Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    █• We transfer your sites over quickly! • I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I'm hoping I might find somewhere I want to live for a few years while I'm out there (assuming I can get a visa!). Everyone I have spoken to about Oz and NZ have said they didn't want to come back. NZ in particular seems a lot like the UK, just better!
    Steve

Hahaha you should visit AussieBob while your there!
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••
    | | | |**The Top Web Hosts**
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    Cheap Hosts • Quality Hosts • Coupons • Save $$$

Melbourne has a bit of everything, and a lot of sport.

Early next year? The cricket season will be on (Australia, England and New Zealand will be playing) so you will have opportunities to go to the MCG (~2 km from the city). Unfortunately when I was last there I didn't get a chance, as it was being renovated for the Commonwealth Games. Also there is the Telstra Dome (~2 km). I went to the "Dome" to watch Australia vs Sri Lanka earlier this year, and it was a fantastic experience. The atmosphere in the crowd was great! I'll never forget it.

A lot of historical value in the city as well. If you aren't into going to museums and the like, even a trip on one of their trams will give you a lot of insight. The tram system runs around the entire city, and out to St Kilda, Richmond etc.

Personally, I would go to Melbourne as well, but having said that, Sydney is far better in my opinion. Sydney has all the 'big' attractions, such as the Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Taronga Zoo etc and is very easy to get around. Melbourne is as well, with the trams, but in Sydney, the monorail gets you to pretty much all the major places. The train system is very efficient too if you are looking to go out of the city.

No matter what you decide to do, you will have a fantastic time in the Eastern States

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    Are they fairly similar places and is there enough extra to do in Melbourne to warrant $300 extra on the tour ticket, and the extra stop off on the flight down?
    Hey Steve.

I'm not a big fan of Sydney. It's just "another big city" to me. I'm not overly keen on Melbourne either (I'm just not in to cities ), but for the sake of $300 and another stop I'd suggest you do see Melbourne. It's a much more interesting place than Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    does this sound like enough?
    Probably only just, without knowing the full itinery. The northern NSW coast is fantastic (I could spend 8 weeks just there).

I used to own www.webhostingtalk.com.au and there's a good geographic spread of members on there. You could seek some advice there as well.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by battye
    No matter what you decide to do, you will have a fantastic time in the Eastern States
    And anywhere in Australia

Steve, I guess it depends on where your interests lie. Are you a city dweller that would prefer city life or do you want to see the country?
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    And anywhere in Australia
    You're supposed to say Darwin, We need to extract money from these tourists you know!!!
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

Well as he is coming in the early part of the year, chances are we will still be in the wet season and I am sure he can do without seeing more rain Although rain and 30 degrees has to be better than rain and 10 degrees
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

We're hoping to see a bit of everything really to get a real feel for the country. Doing the whole thing in a mini-bus stopping off at various points.

Sounds like Melbourne is probably worth a visit.

The route we will be doing is:

Melbourne to Wilsons Promontory NP and Foster

Wilsons Promontory NP to Snowy River Country

Snowy River Country to Jindabyne

Jindabyne to Sydney via Canberra

Sydney to Barrington Tops

Barrington Tops to Surf Camp

Surf Camp to Brisbane

Brisbane to Hervey Bay

Hervey Bay to Kroombit Cattle Station

Kroombit Cattle Station to Airlie Beach

Airlie Beach to Magnetic Island

Magnetic Island to Mission Beach

Mission Beach to Cairns

Can't wait to get out there, should be amazing!
    Steve

i just went over your last post some GREAT places in there

as to your orig question i would recommend going to Melbourne spec since it enables you to go Wilsons Promontory NP <---- havnt been there for yearssssssss but it was a beautiful place.