Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Domain Name Tranfer

Hello,
    I need to transfer my domain name to another registrar, but my problem is as follows:
    One of my old employees has registered the domain name.
    Our company is listed as the registrant, technical and administrative contact, but that employee has put his e-mail address and phone number in all fields instead of the company's.
    We have no access to the domain control panel.
    Any help?
    Thank You

Frankly, the domain is as good as his. Try asking him to change the contacts.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Did he leave on good terms or is he a bastid?
    I'd try the nice approach first.
    Write/email and tell him (nicely) that the domain belongs to the company, the company paid for it, and you are going to initiate a transfer from your new registrar.
    If the domain is locked he must unlock it before a transfer can occur. Is the domain locked?
    When it is unlocked you can initiate a transfer from your new registrar. They will send an email to him, if he doesn't respond then it automatically gets transfered to you. It puts him on the spot, and if he is so inclined, he has to take action to stop it. At least you will know where you stand.

That doesn't sound quite right techno. He/She needs to approve the transfer email from the receiving registrar, or it won't get transferrred.
    Signature Under Construction.

Since the domain is registered to the business with his contact details, if he won't let you do the transfer, some registrars will make changes for you upon proof that you are the company owner. I had one client not too long ago who had to do that.
    Mike
    cPanel/WHM scripts at Premier Website Solutions (all your website needs)
    Support young figure skaters in training. juniorskaters.com

Actually, that person is not an employee of ours, he is someone who used to handle all our webhosting and domain registration issues.

The domain is locked.

Premier, how could I get my registrar to change the contact info?

Thank You guys for all of your replies.

Contact the registrar directly and explain the situation. If you can prove you own the domain, probably by faxing or mailing appropriate legal documents, they may change the contacts to you.

Our client had to fax business registration and drivers license to prove she owned the business the domain was registered to.
    Mike
    cPanel/WHM scripts at Premier Website Solutions (all your website needs)
    Support young figure skaters in training. juniorskaters.com

Save the pritscreens of your actual whois. It might be helpful when/if that person changes something...
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

if you are the legal owner (registrant) you dont need his email approval, you can always submit a fax request to transfer/update the whois info
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I contacted the company, they said that I should submit a fax request, but for security purposes, they will contact the current primary contact, and if he doesn't approve, they may not update the info.
    What does that mean?

send them an official letter along with passport copy, tell them the real story that your employee has left and is his email
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Quote Originally Posted by arbet
    I contacted the company, they said that I should submit a fax request, but for security purposes, they will contact the current primary contact, and if he doesn't approve, they may not update the info.
    What does that mean?
    That means be ready to raise hell.

What you described is Network Solutions' policy on handling that specific matter: if
    the "primary contact" (that's what they call the main contact) tells them to deny it,
    then netsol will notify whoever sent the fax that they won't accomodate it and will
    not make any changes whatsoever.

If that happens, that's when it's time to bring it up the chain of command.

As long as you have your name as the registrar, you ae the legal owner of the domain name.

Procedure to update the admin email changes from domain name extension to domain name extension.

You will need to contact the registrar (Not the reseller) and explain the situation directly to them.

Every registrar must take your application seriously and change the admin email to whatever email you want.

Again:

Administrative person: is NOT the owner of the domain name.
    Registrant: is the owner of the domain name and authorized to change any info he wants about the domain name.

The procedure requires some fax documentation some signatures.

The important thing is to find the right authority to contact.

Dont forget the resellers are not the right contact most of the time.
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

Quote Originally Posted by mbulent
    As long as you have your name as the registrar, you ae the legal owner of the domain name.
    This is *ABSOLUTELY* not true. All domains (registered and otherwise) are owned by respective registries.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan

What you described is Network Solutions' policy on handling that specific matter: if
    the "primary contact" (that's what they call the main contact) tells them to deny it,
    then netsol will notify whoever sent the fax that they won't accomodate it and will

Even if I send them all the legal documents proving I am the domain registrant?

If that person is contacted by them, and he denies the whois change, then he could point my domain name anywhere else, and I will lose my brand.

If I should contact network solutions, I should be 100% sure that I will get the domains, or else I am ruined.
    Guys, please help me

P.S: Sorry for my late reply

anyone guys?

So what actions have you taken so far based on the advice you've been given. Where are you at this point in time? Have you submitted the fax request? Have NS comtacted the registrant? Have they turned your fax request down? Where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan

That's it. Have you contacted your "employee"? As Techno said you should try nice approach. Do you know his motives? This situation reminds me of some Swiss company producing translation software where an employee deliberately registered company's domain on his own name. Their story isn't yet over.
    But that might be not your case.

How long have you had that domain for?
    I'm asking because together with faxes of your documents you may show to the registrar invoices of your payments for the domain name where you have your company name.

You might want to read this thread http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=555884

arbet, as stu2 asked what's happened since you first posted about it? If you have
    sent the fax, what is netsol's response?

I have had the domain name since 1998 (actually they are nine domains forwarded to the same domain).
    We have tried all nice approaches with that person, but he still refuses to give the domains back.
    I have not sent yet any fax forms because I am afraid that if netsol contacts the "registrant" , he will do something bad with the domain names.
    Could there be any excuse for netsol to refuse to give us the domains?

You told us already that NetSol told you that if the registrant refused they would transfer the domains? In your fax request I would point out that the email address and phone number belong to the disputed party and that they should send a snail mail to your address (which is in the whois, right?)

Mostly in cases like this, the registrar will not get involved with ownership disputes and will advise you to seek legal advice. But If you can provide enough proof of ownership and have a plausable story, sometimes they will help out. But as Oceanworld pointed out the domains are as good as his, since they're in his account with his contact info. The fact that your company is named as the registrant would be a strong case in court, so you'd better get copies of the whois info and any historical whois info, asap. Be prepared for a long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    You told us already that NetSol told you that if the registrant refused they would transfer the domains?
    NetSol said if the registrant refused, they might not transfer the domains. This is very subjective. I think they mean if I have enough proof, they would give me the domains.

In your fax request I would point out that the email address and phone number belong to the disputed party and that they should send a snail mail to your address (which is in the whois, right?)
    Yes our address is listed in the whois.

Mostly in cases like this, the registrar will not get involved with ownership disputes and will advise you to seek legal advice. But If you can provide enough proof of ownership and have a plausable story, sometimes they will help out. But as Oceanworld pointed out the domains are as good as his, since they're in his account with his contact info. The fact that your company is named as the registrant would be a strong case in court, so you'd better get copies of the whois info and any historical whois info, asap. Be prepared for a long haul.
    Our company is listed as the registrant, and our company's site has been hosted at that domain since 1998, so everyone who types that domain name will clearly know that the site is ours.
    We also have access to several e-mail accounts @mycompany.com
    We have access to the hosting control panel

I also have a question:
    Network solutions suggested a primary account contact change form.
    That means that all the domains in the account will be transferred to me.
    What if that person has other domains in the account that do not belong to me.
    That would be a problem, right?
    Last edited by arbet; 10-20-2006 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arbet
    I also have a question:
    Network solutions suggested a primary account contact change form.
    That means that all the domains in the account will be transferred to me.
    What if that person has other domains in the account that do not belong to me.
    That would be a problem, right?
    Unfortunately yes. I realized this when I "played" around with my own account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast