Debian Dedicated Host

Hi was wondering, if anyone knows of any good dedicated hosts that provide debian as the distro.

Currently with easyspeedy and so far their service has been poor, outstanding issue on their part and 2 days it hasnt been resolved, which means my site has been basically crippled ..

Also .. when offered 2TB a month is that better than saying taking a 2mbs line?
    when they say 10mbs uplink .. what do they mean (is this good, cant seem to find any downlink stats on any that i saw)

Check the dedicated offers forum; Dinek just posted some really nice offers a couple days ago for servers with Debian as a standard option; he's a great person, and the service is top-notch.

2 terrabytes is 2,000 megabytes. 2 megabits per second (2 mbps) is just under 700 megabytes a month if used to capacity 24/7... so they're just a little bit different.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

does this mean that if i go 2TB .. i am guaranteed at least 2mbps .. i take it this can fluctuate quite a bit .. i mean my slowest could .. be 56K and highest 10mbps ..for example right. ..

Will check out the forum ..

thanx ..

so why is this uplink speed important then?

Since most of the traffic is outbound make sure the 2TB you are getting is for both and not separate.

Port speed and transfer are two different things; With a port speed of 10 Mb/s in theory you could push 10 Mb/s of traffic at any time. If you pushed 10 Mb/s all month you would use more than 2000 Gb of tranfer.

Port speed is the size of the pipe and transfer/transit is how much data is flowing through it.

As Abe said you may want to check to see if that is 2000 Gb total or 1000 Gb inbound and 1000 Gb outbound.
    Matthew Winship
    15 Minute Servers / Net Access Corp.
    www.15minuteservers.com
    www.nac.net

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexDrive
    Since most of the traffic is outbound make sure the 2TB you are getting is for both and not separate.
    For webhosting most of the traffic may be outbound (and with newfangled stuff like Ajax, even that's less true than it used to be), but email is surprisingly symmetrical, as are IRC servers and a lot of types of games, to say nothing of proxies. It's definately important to find out whether 2TB is really 2TB, or 1TB bidirectional, but just arbitrarily saying "most traffic is outbound" is oversimplifying things a bit... and jumping to conclusions.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Quote Originally Posted by Ankheg
    For webhosting most of the traffic may be outbound (and with newfangled stuff like Ajax, even that's less true than it used to be), but email is surprisingly symmetrical, as are IRC servers and a lot of types of games, to say nothing of proxies. It's definately important to find out whether 2TB is really 2TB, or 1TB bidirectional, but just arbitrarily saying "most traffic is outbound" is oversimplifying things a bit... and jumping to conclusions.
    LOL, I think you should take a chil-phil and don't call me in the morning, you are correct I have no idea what will be his use for the server.

You should have problems with finding a hosting company which offers Debian in the advertisement section of WHT. Now if you need managed solution - then it could be little bit more difficult - you should get some nice reviews about Debian specific support and that could be a challenge.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexDrive
    LOL, I think you should take a chil-phil and don't call me in the morning, you are correct I have no idea what will be his use for the server.
    I should have said the server is used for your bog standard website, with a couple of feeds coming in, total from the feeds is about 10GB a month output will is just webpages and images . ..

Quote Originally Posted by tulix
    You should have problems with finding a hosting company which offers Debian in the advertisement section of WHT. Now if you need managed solution - then it could be little bit more difficult - you should get some nice reviews about Debian specific support and that could be a challenge.
    I spent an hour on there (maybe longer), yesterday it was like being in a maze, some cheap some expensive, was at a loss however as to how you find a good one, hence me starting the thread,

I tried contacting TalkPlanet .. but they did not get back to me ..

essentially .. what i am looking for is somewhere where if i have a problem (not on my part but theirs) they will actually work to get it fixed quickly and tell me what is going on.

This is not the case with easyspeedy, they keep sending me emails saying the engineers are looking at it .. but hey i dont care what the engineers are doing I want to know when it will be fixed ... if you know what i mean .. (not to mention not even bothering to add any sort of comment to the support ticket)

As far as the debian specific support is concerned .. not really need much ..