Question Newbie needs a clue

Please excuse my lack of knowledge...I'm very much a newbie to finding my own paid hosting. In fact, I've only been with my current host for about two months. I did no research on them whatsoever...I was just willing to pay the six bucks a month to get the ads off my pages. It's my "starter" site, if you will. However, even with my babe-in-the-woods mentality, I'm starting to realize I can do a lot better then 15 megs for six bucks a month. Thus my search for better hosting begins. I'm not really asking for recommendations, since personal expectations are so different, but I am asking if there are any hosts who should be avoided like the plague. (As in out-and-out frauds and runarounds.)
    And if anyone wants to recommend anyone, I'm just looking for 50-100 megs of space, 2-5 gigs of bandwidth and possible multiple domain hosting. As far as service and support goes, I'm incredibly patient and tolerant so service doesn't have to be top-notch(but above mediocre).
    If anyone would like to email me, my address is [email protected] and I really appreciate anything anyone has to say. Thanks!

~Vi

Question is, do you need that much diskspace? And Bandwidth? Even looking down the road about a year, do you need that much? If you, great. You're right, you can get more diskspace for you're money.

But I am constantly intrigued by how most people judge a host based on the amount of diskspace they provide. I recently lost a potential client because I would not sell them 150MB for $7.50 a month. You know what his site consisted of? 6 pages. About 300 uniques a month.

Anyway, I'm sorry I started my rant on you're particular thread, you didn't deserve it, and it wasn't aimed at you.

I hope you find what you're looking, as I'm sure several people here will be able to help you out.

Very well said James, if you do use more than 15 megs then I highly recommend you do some searches on hosts on this forum and find some you like and then ask for opinions.
    VibeHost, A DensityHost Company
    Under NEW Ownership
    Quality, Affordable Reseller Hosting
    www.vibehost.com

You should go to the hosting requests forum and make a post and explain how much space you need and what you will be using it for and also how many hits you get a month or how much bandwidth you use if you happen to know that.. What I would suggest doing is finding a couple hosts that will offer a plan to give you plenty of room say 150+ megs and atleast 5 gigs transfer to give you room to breath and then do some research on them.. Do a search here and see what you find and ask around.. Wait a couple weeks see all the feedback you get and base your decision on that. Best of luck..

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pirate22
    Question is, do you need that much diskspace? And Bandwidth? Even looking down the road about a year, do you need that much?

I have quite a few graphics on my current site. I don't even have much content(read; stuff other people would be interested in) but I have somehow managed to run through 7 of my 15 megs in the two months I've been there. Also, I do use my space for the occassional pic posted to my online journal, which actually gets more hits than my site does right now.

But I am constantly intrigued by how most people judge a host based on the amount of diskspace they provide.

Right now, disk space is the most important thing to me because I don't know how to use many of the features included in a lot of hosting packages. If I can't use them, and may not have the knowledge to anytime in the immediate future, I don't want to be paying for them. I suppose what I need is someone who can offer me a minimum of features for a minimal price up front, with the option of upgrading later. Does that make any sense?

Anyway, I'm sorry I started my rant on you're particular thread, you didn't deserve it, and it wasn't aimed at you.

Don't worry about it. I understand well the nature of rants. Thank you for pointing out that there are other things I should be looking for in a quality host!

~Vi

To avoid

one of the major pitfalls stay away from host that offer unlimited bandwidth or disk space. There is no such thing and it is a marketing gimic to lure newbies in. Once you decide on a short list come back here and do a search on them, ask around the forum here and ask them to provide a reference or two.
    Also look out for the too good to be true offer, remember if it sounds too good, it is.

Good luck in your search.

Monte