Question VERY new. Not doing for profit - hosting

Hello everyone.

I thought I would stop by and pick the brains of some of the most reputable people on the web. I have been directed here by several associates I deal with so, here goes my questions.

I have a Raq4 Cobalt server running about 6 web sites with email. While I DO NOT resell these, I have it for mainly personal use and a couple no profits are on there also.

I had my Raq crash last year and found out several things - first being - I HAVE NO IDEA what to do with a raq to support it SO, several hundres of dollars later, my server was back up in the state it started! THANK GAWD!

I am considering switching to a windows based server.

While I am extremely familiar with IIS and Exchange, I am CONVINCED this is not the best way to do this.

I was considering putting in Apache. While I am not 100% familiar with the command lines of Apache, I can get around.

I LOVE the ease of use I have had in the past when using other providers and signing up as a reseller. Things like the control panels and such. How they integrated into each application so easily and help modify the process.

My questions would be - Does Windows have this ease?

What programs should I be looking at putting on the server for MAIL servers, web hosting, databases and such?

Should I use windows DNS?

If anyone wants to take a few moments to tell me what a fool I am and possible give a little bit of advice, that would be well taken.

Thanks!

Okay, as a developer of both here goes:

Windows is more expensive. You have to pay per CPU

Linux is free, also so is PHP/Apache.

Windows can do ASP.net/ASP which you already know (I hope). No Linux machine can do this without 3rd party software such as ChilliASP (developed by Sun), but expect many bugs for this paid program.

There is NOTHING wrong with using Windows and is not wrong (if that is what you were implying, but after re-reading I think I miss read it).

I use Helm and DotNetPanel. Helm is rather "bulky" with great support for installation, but not product wise. As in it took them like 4 years to release a new version of Helm from 3.2 to 4. And it's still not due (officially) until October. I'm also a member of the forums and get bad replies from officials. In saying that, I mean, if I suggest something I usually got replies against my ideas. When I presented them to DNP I was very surprised 90% of them were already in production and the rest they took into consideration, asking me to explain specifically. Then added them to the to do list. I know they actually have done things too, since I contact them often

I now ALSO use DotNetPanel, this is by far the better solution. They improve this panel on a daily basis (literally) and have updates all the time. By updates I mean improvements, not from bugs etc. They are only 8 months old at this stage and have a rather rapid development. They also listen to customers very well and understand the technology they are using, by that I mean programming/hardware etc.

The above maybe a little biased but it's true. That's in terms of control panels.

Use Windows if you want ASP/ASP.net/Cold Fusion. If you want to install Apache don't bother with Windows. You're just wasting resources and money. Windows is primarily designed for it's own technologies that being .net. I'm not saying that Windows can't use PHP etc, I'm saying, you'll have things on the machine you don't need.

DNS you can use either Simple DNS or Microsoft DNS with the two above suggested control panels. Either will do the job perfectly fine, however Microsoft DNS comes with Windows 2003 ofcourse

For mail servers, MailEnable is fairly popular, but SmarterMail is even better with webmail support. (I think ME might have webmail actually, don't quote me).

FTP I use Gene6 FTP.

Databases: Which technologies do you want to support? They can get resource intensive so becareful.

Really, you need to ask yourself: What is the market you are targeting?

Depending on the above question we can give more specfic answers. At the moment I'm making generalizations based on the general consensus / personal opinion. However, I hope I wrote it in a way which you can consider things for yourself I.E if you want Apache why use Windows?

With Windows, being familiar with just IIS and Exchange won't get you too far. Generally, Windows systems are attacked more, based on security flaws that is. However, the use of dynamic firewalls / virus scanners / anti keyloggers prevents such things. By dynamic I mean, software which prevents a problem from happening. I.E virus scanners can only pick up previously detected viruses, preventing it is better than erradicating it.
    Last edited by Katatonic; 09-06-2006 at 03:37 PM.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic
    I'm also a member of the forums and get bad replies from officials. In saying that, I mean, if I suggest something I usually got replies against my ideas. When I presented them to DNP I was very surprised 90% of them were already in production and the rest they took into consideration, asking me to explain specifically. Then added them to the to do list.
    I know the exact thread you are talking about here and you did not get any bad replies from WHA, you were just told that they were building in support for integration of third party helpdesks rather than building their own helpdesk. You even said at one point that you didn't want it integrated into Helm, you wanted it as a standalone product. They are a control panel company and it makes no sense for them to start building other apps that are already available through third parties and take time away from the developement of their control panel.

Your comment above implies that you expect that when you suggest something, people should agree with you and it should be added. Sure you might have your suggestions being implements by DNP quickly just now, however just wait until DNP grow and then they need to start listening to the suggestions of a lot more people and you will not have your suggestions getting added so quickly. (If at all)

Just use what you are comfortable with. Especially for general use either *nix and windows would be fine.

Money could definately be a factor to consider, if you do not have unlimited funds. If you are able to secure your box enough (or have it done), *nix/apache/mysql/exim/bind are pretty workable. You may add a control panel to save some time here and there.
    SuperRacks Ltd European Hosting
    We serve you with custom services
    Visit our website or ask for a custom quote
    Quality linux and Windows hosting, servers and collocation