I want to set up an email only service

I want to offer an email only service for people who may already have a web host but are dissatisfied with their email service.

I have cpanel and WHM and am curious as to the technical aspects of this.

I know cpanel offers an email only control panel, which I will use for their control panel, but I guess part of what I need to know is about MX records. Is this the only record I am going to need to mess with on their domains? Do I need to make any other DNS adjustments?

Also, if they only have their email pointed to us, then how would their webmail url work? A/CNAME records?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Stephens
    I know cpanel offers an email only control panel, which I will use for their control panel, but I guess part of what I need to know is about MX records. Is this the only record I am going to need to mess with on their domains? Do I need to make any other DNS adjustments?
    You'll need to change the MX record to point to your server; you'll also most likely want to change the SPF record, as well.

Also, if they only have their email pointed to us, then how would their webmail url work? A/CNAME records?
    It's really easiest to just have them use servername.yourdomain.tld (or webmail.yourdomain.tld) for webmail, as that's one less thing you have to mess with, but there's no reason you can't add an A record or CNAME for, for example, webmail.theirdomain.tld. It just becomes more of a hassle when you've got people controlling their own DNS (which is a good percentage of the potential customer base; anyone using a dynamic DNS service to host a website on a DSL or cable line whose provider blocks port 25, for example) and you need to change IPs on them. It also makes using HTTPS with webmail a whole lot easier.

That's been our experience, anyway.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Quote Originally Posted by Ankheg
    You'll need to change the MX record to point to your server; you'll also most likely want to change the SPF record, as well.

It's really easiest to just have them use servername.yourdomain.tld (or webmail.yourdomain.tld) for webmail, as that's one less thing you have to mess with, but there's no reason you can't add an A record or CNAME for, for example, webmail.theirdomain.tld. It just becomes more of a hassle when you've got people controlling their own DNS (which is a good percentage of the potential customer base; anyone using a dynamic DNS service to host a website on a DSL or cable line whose provider blocks port 25, for example) and you need to change IPs on them. It also makes using HTTPS with webmail a whole lot easier.

That's been our experience, anyway.
    thank you, so then when i set this up in whm as an account, i would use the regular domain name for their account name? then set up a subdomain name? and adjust the domain records?

the mail service im going to start is set up as a reseller of my main account. so, would i have them log in at

http://webmail.resellerdomain.com or
    http://webmail.myservername.com or
    http://webmail.theirdomain.com ??

Do i make any changes in my WHM dns records?

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Stephens
    thank you, so then when i set this up in whm as an account, i would use the regular domain name for their account name? then set up a subdomain name? and adjust the domain records?
    Correct. Well, you don't necessarily need a subdomain; see my comments below, but creating the account in the main domain name is the best way to go.

the mail service im going to start is set up as a reseller of my main account. so, would i have them log in at

http://webmail.resellerdomain.com
    You could; the advantage is you (should) have complete control of this domain, and can get/create an SSL certificate that would work for everyone, regardless of what domain their email is at.

Same comments as above. The first is probably better from the point of branding; my original comments (in the post above) assumed you were going to be running a single server just for email, which I see isn't the case. Sorry.

You can do this; it may be perceived as more convenient or adding value, or something, but it becomes more of a hassle to administer when dealing with customers who are administering their own DNS, independant of you, and really just pointing their own MX (and perhaps A) records at your server. It also prevents you from using SSL (without warning appearing in the browser, at any rate).

Do i make any changes in my WHM dns records?
    Not normally, I wouldn't think. Typically email clients have and administer their own DNS, so all they're really going to want from you (besides great service ) is what to put in their DNS for MX records, what ports what services are on, and what the URL to the webmail is. If customers decide to use your server(s) for their DNS, then you might need to make changes so their A records point where they want 'em.

thank you
    Not a problem. Always happy to help the competition, LOL.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Quote Originally Posted by Ankheg

Not a problem. Always happy to help the competition, LOL.
    ///Thanks for visiting. Located in Saint Paul, Minnesota///

ack! you werent joking