What gets processed first? TCP Wrappers or iptables?

I'd imagine that TCP wrappers are processed first because I get messages in my logs saying that libwrap refused connection from IP.x.x.x, but shouldn't it be the other way around? I have the same IP in my iptables list and I'd have hoped that I don't have to see libwrap rejections at all.

iptables is in the kernel and libwrap is a library for programs. So iptables. If what you say is true then my guess is that iptables isn't catching it for some reason.

Graeme
    Secure your server with http://www.serverangel.com/

That's my thought too.

The IP range in question is 222.122.x.x. So my iptables is 222.122.0.0/16 which I *think* is right (and someone else here agreed with me). Doesn't look like that works though:

# iptables -A INPUT -s 222.122.0.0/16 -j DROP

Is that not correct?

Your IP tables rule looks fine for dropping everything from that range. The only other thing I can think of is the ordering then. Do you have a rule before that rule that accepts all connections to your port?

Like :

Accpet from all connections on port 80
    Drop everything from 222.122.0.0/16

222.122.0.0/16 would still be able to connect to port 80 as it would be matched with the accept rule before your drop rule.

Graeme
    Secure your server with http://www.serverangel.com/

you may try to insert rules not to append.

iptables -I INPUT -s 222.122.0.0/16 -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT -s 222.122.0.0/16 -j LOG --log-prefix "something_for_search"

After that you may check the log to see if that rules is catch something

You could even do the following, if you were really paranoid or something:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING 1 -s 222.122.0.0/16 -j DROP

I actually don't accept anything per iptables. I just have rules that deny, deny, deny (drop).

That is what is probably the most baffling. I know iptables is working because I've tested it, but it isn't working for that range (at least, I still have SMTP attempts but I'm not finding any SSH login attempts any longer). I am going to take the paranoid approach. I haven't seen anything good coming from those IPs.
    Last edited by tamar; 09-07-2006 at 11:14 AM.