Thread: Latency

Latency

Hello all,

Before purchasing the BT Home Hub I had a latency of around 12ms when playing on online games such as Counter-Strike. Now, I received the BT Home Hub my latency has gone to 60ms.

Does anyone know why this may have occured and a way of fixing it?

I tried ringing BT, but got an Indian guy who I told my problem to three times after he asked me the same questions that were worded differently. After being on hold for a bit and him "working on the fix" he told me I needed to ring a different number. I rang it and it was billing. I choosen the option to speak to someone and sat there for 9 minutes at which point I put the phone down.

Advise please?

BT are great... when you get a guy/girl who speaks real English and isn't reading questions off a screen.
    Sean

I'm not an expert on it but you probably should have bought a switch instead of a hub. Not much more expensive than a hub, it handles packets much better. There is a lot more data collisions between computers sharing a hub. When that happens they both wait a random amount of time to resend to avoid another collision.

A switch is as easy to use as a hub. Just plug stuff in and go.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said. A hub doesn't handle collisions well (IIRC)...

I would like to inform you that this could be rectified by turning off 'Interleaving'. In order to turn it off, we need your approval and hence please respond back to us
    That's an email I got from BT. Anyone know what interleaving is, how it would affect my connection, and the size of the effect?

Thanks.
    Sean

Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance