Who can compete with SoftLayer, The Planet, EV1?

What other companies are out there?

What datacenters offer the types of pricing/services that SoftLayer, The Planet, EV1 does?

I know there are a lot of small guys out there, but I am looking for Datacenters on the level of SoftLayer, The Planet, EV1.

You should check out layerdtech.com

Hello,

Of course SAGO NETWORKS.
    Thanks,
    Melih Sarioglu
    "Your success is our success."
    www.kebirhost.net

Hello,

I have 11 servers from them and there is no network issue for 2 years. Only one...

Their network is very stable. It is not a small company.
    Thanks,
    Melih Sarioglu
    "Your success is our success."
    www.kebirhost.net

Layeredtech is off the hook , its the best out there i used to have about 17 servers and it was amazing 100 mbps ports are really true unlike other sites its not a dream on fantasy

Layeredtech looks 'OK', but not on the same playing field as the 3 I mentioned above.

Their prices are also higher than SoftLayer for Windows boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Intellect
    Layeredtech looks 'OK', but not on the same playing field as the 3 I mentioned above.
    They have fewer servers than EV1 and ThePlanet, but they have more servers than SoftLayer. Not sure what you're going for, since EV1/ThePlanet don't really have much in common with SoftLayer. (SoftLayer being a new company, with new hardware and a differently tuned customer focus)
    Their prices are also higher than SoftLayer for Windows boxes.
    Ok.. so you need a Windows box. What are your other criteria?

Eric
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

We use BOTH Networks. LT and SL . If you are looking for a total control etc SL is better option. I will prefer SL support over LT. However i will prefer LT Network over SL. Specially for users in ASIA. Pricewise you cant beat LT.
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

sago networks great!

hivelocity low price but standard bandwidth

I want to try softlayer or tailormadeserver if they allow p2p

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco
    They have fewer servers than EV1 and ThePlanet, but they have more servers than SoftLayer. Not sure what you're going for, since EV1/ThePlanet don't really have much in common with SoftLayer. (SoftLayer being a new company, with new hardware and a differently tuned customer focus)
    Ok.. so you need a Windows box. What are your other criteria?

Eric

A good price and a professional image.

LTs website looks like they could be a reseller themselves.

Image is important. I think TP and SL have the upper hand there.

Dont judge a book by its cover, and remember, you get what you pay for.

Softlayer and LayeredTech are comparable, but not with ThePlanet/EV1 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteManaged
    Definently agree.

Quote Originally Posted by advantz
    sago networks great!

hivelocity low price but standard bandwidth

I want to try softlayer or tailormadeserver if they allow p2p
    hivelocity actually looks decent.

I think HiVelocity is good but they do have Cogent in their network.

You can't just ask what dedicated server providers are out there? Give us something to help you with, what specs you need? You need Windows, right? Also what is the use of the server? Do you need low pings, low prices, high transfer?

Answer these and you might get better answers and find the host that fits your needs. There are plenty of hosts but only a few may fit your criteria.

LTs website looks like they could be a reseller themselves.
    hrm...well they're not

I happen to think LT's site looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by pergesu
    hrm...well they're not

I happen to think LT's site looks very nice.
    Depends on what you define as a reseller, I guess.

They're not a reseller in the traditional sense of the word. However, unless you own your own servers, your own datacenter, your own IP network, etc., etc. then your reselling something (i.e. colo space, bandwidth, hardware, etc.) and thus you would be considered a reseller as we all are at some level or another.

Just my $0.02 cents.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

voxel/voxrox

Quote Originally Posted by SiteManaged
    Not having a go, but I assume you arent a Softlayer customer, as if you were than you would see that they arent like LT.

The features they offer are nothing like LT, just because a lot of people have signed up with them doesnt make them a budget host (as servers are $149+)

I can see a lot of similarities between EV1/TP and SL.
    Centation Web Services
    Bristol based web design
    Offering website design, SEO, website hosting, website development and domain registration.

Quote Originally Posted by Veus
    Not having a go, but I assume you arent a Softlayer customer, as if you were than you would see that they arent like LT.

The features they offer are nothing like LT, just because a lot of people have signed up with them doesnt make them a budget host (as servers are $149+)

I believe he was stating it as a company size/history type thing, not the quality/level of service. The Planet/EV1 is huge, no one else can compare, they also have a solid and long history behind them. LT and Softlayer don't come close when it comes to size.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

I do think softlayer sure is getting an edge on the server market, their prices are cheap until you start adding in your basics then it comes to an average server price.

There is just something about huge companies I dont wanna deal with. A server we have for rackmounted.com We have been dealing with the same exact people since the first, They know me on a first name basis, they dont care to boot me into another kernel when I mess up one and get kernel panic, they also will login the box and start like 20 different irc processes for me. I have a feeling a bigger company would not go through all that trouble and probably start charging me for support after x amount of reboots and such.

I just preffer to deal with someone who knows my needs and issues the same person everytime. I would imagine a company like softlayer would have lots of different staff that you would have to explain your situations to each time you talked to one of them.

When my partner put up the money for a cpanel server that was unmetered we looked around, checked out softlayer and was right about to order until I came here and looked in dedicated offers and found ayksolutions, I pmed him on yahoo, said I need a server with this, that, and this. He was like ok here it is. lol.

When we first got that server I went in and done all my usual stuff, recompile kernel and all that. I had done this same ting on the latest gresecurity kernels and didnt notice it but if you enable SMP on the p4 3.2 it will cause it to hang. So I done that and rebooted it and it hung. There was no sites on the server so it wasn't that big a problem so I filed a support ticket with them thinking they would get it the next day. I filed the ticket at like 2-3am , got back up about 5am and there was done a reply in my email saying server was back up. I was like geez, that was cool.

^These experiences is what I think you get when dealing with smaller companies. Some can be better and then some unknown fly by night guys can be a nightmare. If you just want a box to be turned on, put some sites on it and be done with it then I suppose any big dc would be fine. But if you are like me and constantly experimenting and doing security work and research then you probably need a dc you can have a more personal relationship with.

I dont know, it may be where I am from small town country but I feel much more comfortable being able to correspond with the same people everytime. I also dont like all the business like talk ya know like some credit card support center lol. I also dont want to ask a question and get some template response pasted from some knowledgbase. Its not like I want to have some company that will run my server and obey my every whim I just want people that know my situation and will work with me.
    Last edited by jon-f; 09-06-2006 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veus

Actually I am a SoftLayer customer as well as a LT customer. I'm not having a go but I wouldn't make such a claim otherwise. Why the heck would I talk about something I never experienced?

To me personally, the extra bits and bobs at SoftLayer don't really matter and I think it's easy to get over-excited about this and that, just because it's "cool", but the main reliability and stability factors are what's important to me and although it's been mainly very good, Softlayer just don't have the long history track record. Would you care to explain why LT is less good than SoftLayer? My LayeredTech servers have been rock solid for long periods and their infamous support have been just fine too.

Ok, LT support/sales reply to you a little colder manner and SoftLayer will give you coffee, doughnuts, kisses and hugs but they both get the job done, in my experience anyway. IMO most of the hype on SoftLayer is a bit superficial.

People keep saying, oh, the servers are $149+ at SoftLayer so they are not cheap! but that is because they don't sell celeron and semprons, ThePlanet now offering 70 buck servers, they are cheapy budget hosts? I think many people on this forum are too biased and refuse to see outside their little box.. (could say the same to me)

I'm not trying to bash any company, I'm saying the hype is a little exaggerated half the time.

I'm saying this as a happy SoftLayer client. I think they are very good.

But the thread title for me...

Who can compete with SoftLayer, The Planet, EV1?
    If anything, it should be:

Who can compete with The Planet, EV1... SoftLayer?
    Everybody has their own feeling but I'm allowed to express mine.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer
    I believe he was stating it as a company size/history type thing, not the quality/level of service. The Planet/EV1 is huge, no one else can compare, they also have a solid and long history behind them. LT and Softlayer don't come close when it comes to size.
    Ah yes, that's basically what I mean.. Shouldn't have bothered writing all that above.