Are you protected?

How many of you are protected? If someone trademarks your domain name would you lose your domain?

why is everyone quiet about this? 28 views and zero replies?

eh 100 people on this forum at any time of day.

28 views isn't a lot.

Not sure, but I don't think so.

I had a similar situation. I registered a domain in 1998, someone created a band using the same name in 2000. They have a recording contract, and are internationally known. They contacted me about a year ago asking what the site was about (It was a private system at the time). I responded and never heard anything else from them. I suppose since I was using it first, they have no claim to it. I believe trademark law says first use, registered or not.

In any case, I think if I would have made an offer to sell, I could have lost it, but otherwise no. I am not a lawyer, but that is my experience.

Well, I am not a business, nor am I a lawyer, but I generally search for trademarks before registering any domains. Most of my domains are adjectives (one's a number, too).

Besides, I would be really surprised if someone trademarks Eroticon Six, or Who in their right mind would trademark the home planet of Eccentrica Gallumbits, the famous triple-breasted whore? No, I think I'm pretty safe
    It makes no difference which one of us you vote for. Either way, your planet is doomed... DOOMED!

I believe this topic falls under the maxim - 'don't go looking for trouble and it will probably not look for you'. In other words, try to avoid infringing on other existing trademarks, common names, etc.

I hold one domain that I established in 1996; several years later a large drug company came out with a new drug by the same name. They obtained the vs my domain. I never heard from them. I had some dreams of them offering us crazy amounts of funds to sell them the domain - which we probably would have done.

We did start getting a lot of nuisance mail and hits on our web site as a result of name confusion, but to my knowledge no one from the drug company ever contacted our company. I suspected they may have been testing us at one point by directing a lot of mail to us to see how we'd respond.

A tactful change to our web site front page dealt with most misdirected surfers.

What's really amazing is how many people find our contact email address after clearly navigating through a site that is anything but drug related -- and then proceed to send their whole life medical history and questions to us.

Kinda makes all the discussions about privacy on the internet moot. I know far more about some faceless people on the net than I ever wanted to.

Would you send your medical history to [email protected]?