"A record" - DNS Management

Hi,
    My domain name is registered in "server 1" and I want to point it to "server 2".
    In "server 1" they are currently pointing this domain to DNS IP in "server 2".
    First, Should I create an "A record" in "server 2" or it's "server 1" who's responsable of?
    Second, after pointing this domain to "server 2", what do I have to do? Which means how can I registered this domain in my Account in "server 2" or let's say how can I point it directly to my account?
    Can someone explain to me this process from A to Z? Any advice can help.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by holy_joy; 09-06-2006 at 02:58 AM.

It really depends on how stuff is set up, but it seems I can't really understand what you mean. We will need more details.
    What kind of account?
    Where have you registered your domain name (what company?) - I can probabely guide you ...
    Why is it pointed in server 1 if you want it to point to server 2? ...
    Got Fused?

Could you explain to me what exactly you mean because you questins aren't clear.
    If you want to change your hosting you need than to change your name servers

Hi Siropel,

Why is it pointed in server 1 if you want it to point to server 2
    It's registered in "server 1" and I want to point it to server 2".

What kind of account?
    Hosting plan

Thanks.

Is that a Cpanel hosting plan?
    Can't you just go to your domain registrar and modify the domain to use their nameservers and point the A (and maybe MX) recond to "server 2"?
    If you have your domaing bought with your hostingplan you should ask the host.
    Got Fused?

Siropel,
    Thanks for replying.
    Can't you just go to your domain registrar and modify the domain to use their nameservers and point the A (and maybe MX) recond to "server 2"?
    Yes they are currently doing this in "server 1" and they told me this will take 24 to 48 hours, but what I need to know is very simple: Once this domain is successfully pointing to the new server "server 2", what do I have to do in my hosting account in "server 2" to let this server know that this account is related to that domain name (what I mean, in this nameserver there is maybe millions of accounts, how this server will know that I'm the owner of that domain name?
    Sorry I'm confused a little, but I didn't understand this DNS process 100%.
    Thanks.

You can ask the host to point that domain (record) to your account or you can try do add the domain yourself from the Control Panel altho I'm not sure it will work.
    If you can tell me who are your registrar and hoster or what hosting software they use it will make things alot more simple
    Got Fused?

Morning,

The first thing you should do is lower your refresh time on Server 1 to something very low, such as 5 or 10 minutes. This is the parameter in your DNS zone that is measured in seconds.

Secondly, wait for these changes to take effect.

Next, modify the existing A-Record on server 1 to point to the IP address of server 2.

Finally, update your nameservers to reference server 2.