Basic.. Just a VPS.. Is what I am looking for.

Hello,

I am looking for JUST a VPS. I don't need any CPanel or any other garbage. I just want a VPS. No Apache, or anything like that.

I am looking for a VPS to handle a 12 player private TFC server. It takes up about 100-200GB BW a month. and I would need about a GB of space or maybe even less.
    I would prefer an bandwidth over a un-metered line.

Perfer it in either West or Central.
    Central = (Chicago Perferred)
    West = (CA, WT, etc)

Anyone now of such a thing?

- Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dub
    Hello,

I am looking for JUST a VPS. I don't need any CPanel or any other garbage. I just want a VPS. No Apache, or anything like that.

I am looking for a VPS to handle a 12 player private TFC server. It takes up about 100-200GB BW a month. and I would need about a GB of space or maybe even less.
    I would prefer an bandwidth over a un-metered line.

Perfer it in either West or Central.
    Central = (Chicago Perferred)
    West = (CA, WT, etc)

Anyone now of such a thing?

- Steve
    What about RAM? What type of connection are you looking for? What is TFC? If im correct, most use dedicated servers for games and what not.

TFC = A old HL mod.. It is currently using about 120MB of RAM max'ed..

Um.. A good one.. Well.. 100-10mbps would be fine.. But I am looking for more of a shared connection.. (VPS).. I would like the VPS to ahve 1-2mbps line or capped bandwidth on the 100mbps line.

The VPS runs it perfect.. For such a small not much used game server on a old HL mod.. The VPS will run it just perfect.. I got a Dedi for my other GS 32Player Pub but it is full.

- Steve

Leeware (DC: FDC Servers) and Server Axis (DC: Equinix) are also Chicago-based. I don't have much experience with Server Axis, but I had an account with Leeware for a couple months and he provides amazing service for the money. I would not hesitate to recommend him as long as you have realistic views on running a game server on a shared system.

Eric
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Leeware posted a while back about a customer who wanted to run game servers on his VPS, was told that it wouldn't work well, then complained and demanded a refund when it didn't work well, even after Leeware (against his terms) tried to help the guy to get it going. If I were Leeware, I wouldn't be supporting game servers on my VPSes, as they are probably more trouble than they're worth, from a support perspective.

Clueless and belligerent clients like the guy that started the last Leeware thread will be a drain on any support organization, no matter what they are trying to run. I believe Lee did mention that a few of his clients were successfully running game servers that were realistically scaled down to a shared environment. As long as you can get it running on your own, I don't think it would be a big deal.

Eric
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Typially, where latency is a major factor no VPS will work that well because of the processor scheduling. The processes will need to wait for their time of the CPU, etc. This is not an issue at all for most processes, but for the game servers who care about every ms, it definitely matters. I would not recommend running a game server on any VPS.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Thank you for your comments.. I have gone through and did a trial and did some brenchmarking and found out what Karl is saying is actually true. As every once in awhile the game will freeze.. Due too not enough processor power..

So I have decided to use a local game server host and pay the monthly fee..

- Steve

I recommend VPSLink.com - with them now & love it.

they have it set up so that if you get 128 ram its yours, nobody else can use it.
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.