Angry Affordablehost...dotAmerica

Well, due to exsisting client pressures I reupped several accounts with Affordablehost. Once again I was let down.... All individual accounts were again resold to dotAmerica.... no warning, saved email deleted, the usual...

Please don't repeat my mistake....

Rich

Hi,

Can you ellaborate on your problem? Did you happen to resignup with affordablehost only to findout they merged?

Google on dotamerica shows: "dotAmerica.com / Affordablehost.com Merge - Grand Rapids,hosting ..."

Maybe you should contact them and see if they can bring your files back through a backup etc..?

Good luck
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Ya u need to elaborate more on your problem...
    best regards,
    loon
    Webhostforasp.net Support Team
    http://www.webhostforasp.net

Affordablehost was sold to dotcanada more than a year ago.

Is this another purchase of AffordableHost by someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix
    Affordablehost was sold to dotcanada more than a year ago.

Is this another purchase of AffordableHost by someone else?
    dotCanada and dotAmerica are the same companies associated with Light Speed Technologies.

More info...

The issue is that existing non-reseller accounts on Affordablehost have been forwarded to new servers under the dotAmerica brand. I received no notification emails; suddenly couldn't access email or my backend... still can't access site management for a couple of sites... I recently reupped three sites under the Affordablehost name - just got finished dealing with a server crash and lost data a couple of months ago... As others have stated, support replies explain nothing... Evidently the list of hosts willing to work competently and responsibly with small clients is dwindling....

Quote Originally Posted by Hoobastank68

Google on dotamerica shows: "dotAmerica.com / Affordablehost.com Merge - Grand Rapids,hosting ..."

"Grand Rapids hosting.." is very misleading and leftover from before they owned it. They are based in Sudbury, Ontario.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Sounds like bad business practices to me if they did not even send you a notice that they were merging.

That is something we would never do as a hosting company, communication is key.

More Info

Just got finished in a live chat with dotAmerica support..... &%%&%*(&^BS

No info, I was referred to sales....

This feels like a bailout money grab....

Tina, I'm looking at coming over to Axishost for a reseller account.... saw your Affordablehost referral page though it's now obselete - no more CPanel accessibility.... I'll have to start from scratch...

The worst part is that the &@#$%@# at AH won't offer any refunds....I just renewed three accounts for a full year....

Quote Originally Posted by richj
    Tina, I'm looking at coming over to Axishost for a reseller account.... saw your Affordablehost referral page though it's now obselete - no more CPanel accessibility.... I'll have to start from scratch...
    Is there no way to tar up at least the website files?

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by gooyah_host
    Sounds like bad business practices to me if they did not even send you a notice that they were merging.

That is something we would never do as a hosting company, communication is key.
    yes... communication is essential for any kind of business
    best regards,
    loon
    Webhostforasp.net Support Team
    http://www.webhostforasp.net

I just discovered my website(s) moved to dotamerica. Never received an email notice or anything. Nothing in the News section of AffordableHost website.
    dotamerica does not have cPanel. Just a cruddy file manager. Hopefully, there is a way to use FTP. Haven't been able to get FTP to work with AffordableHost for a while -- just gave up and started using cPanel.

Anyone thinking of using dotCanada, AffordableHost, dotAmerica or anything else related to Lightspeed Tech shoult think twice

Quote Originally Posted by schurch
    Nothing in the News section of AffordableHost website.

http://support.affordablehost.com/ - its there at the top in big red letters. I noticed it there the other day. Although how they can call it an upgrade, with so many features taken away, I don't understand.

--Tina

When asking a simple question about my DNS, on a new account I set up through WHM, got this <sarcasm> really hepful</sarcasm> reply.

"We currently implemented a software/firewall freeze on all of our servers from now until the end of August. In this time, we will be performing several migrations to a new environment. For this migration to remain as stable as possible, we need to maintain a static configuration on our servers (new software appearing all the time, and/or new ports opening up). So, requests for special perl modules, applications, new firewall exclusions, and the requirement to circumvent/change our existing server environment will need to be resubmitted after the upcoming migration at the end of August, when we will consider new installations/exceptions again."

Did I have ANY warning that this was happening? Nope.
    Am I backing everything up NOW ready for a bailout? YES!

Don't even consider dotCanada or anything that light speed have heir sticky little fingers in.

Tina, I really miss your helpful support guys!

Tim

freeze on all of our servers from now until the end of August
    By the way, I recieved this on the 31st Aug. No sign that anything has changed yet, and for the record, have certainly not had any sort of notification that whatever they were doing was finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmouse

Tina, I really miss your helpful support guys!

Tim
    We're still here.

What was your question about DNS? Is it something I can answer?

--Tina

I may well be heading your way in the near future Tina!

The DNS issue is, I think, to do with the fact that they have locked everyone's WHM accounts without telling us, thus when I set up the new account in WHM, and pointed the a new domain at the name servers, nothing propogated.

The DNS settings viewed through WHM are exactly the same as for other existing accounts(bar the different domain of course), and these existing domain names point to the same name servers and work perfectly. There seems to be a gap somewhere between my WHM account and the outward facing name servers.

I have tried for a second support ticket today.... Not holding my breath...

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmouse
    I may well be heading your way in the near future Tina!

The DNS issue is, I think, to do with the fact that they have locked everyone's WHM accounts without telling us, thus when I set up the new account in WHM, and pointed the a new domain at the name servers, nothing propogated.

The DNS settings viewed through WHM are exactly the same as for other existing accounts(bar the different domain of course), and these existing domain names point to the same name servers and work perfectly. There seems to be a gap somewhere between my WHM account and the outward facing name servers.

I have tried for a second support ticket today.... Not holding my breath...
    I believe they are still using the in-house DNS system we gave them, to manage accounts. It may be that their "freeze" includes not allowing new domains to go live on their servers. Either that or the technician didn't understand what you were asking for. Tell them you need (insert domain here) to go live in the DDNS system.

--Tina

Well, I had a response, No hello, apology or anything, but they seemed to think it will all be ok soon...

Thanks Tina.

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    I believe they are still using the in-house DNS system we gave them, to manage accounts. It may be that their "freeze" includes not allowing new domains to go live on their servers. Either that or the technician didn't understand what you were asking for. Tell them you need (insert domain here) to go live in the DDNS system.

--Tina
    Tina,

I have to admit, as much as I was disappointed with the sale of Affordablehost and so much pain I had to go through, I still believe you are by the far one of the best person in the hosting industry, I have yet to encounter.

I am extremely desperate and thinking again to give you a try, but I need to know one thing! If you ever decide to do any changes, sale or merger, will you be notifying your clients this time?

Thanks

I would say, probably not (if you were asking me, I would say, definitely not). There is no benefit to buyer or seller in this industry to announce far in advance the potential sale of one company to another. Customers who are fans of the current service may be angry and decide that one unknown is as good as another, regardless of the viability of the purchaser, and move out before the deal is sealed. If the acquisition is based on a percentage of current clients remaining clients, then the loss of a significant portion of clients lessens the deal for both sides. If it is a flat-rate buyout, the buyer may feel undermined by premature announcement by the seller and call off the purchase. The seller then loses a potential buyer they may need for whatever reason, and may have trouble finding another because of it. Clients who moved will then have done so for no reason, wasting time and energy on their part.

Businesses, unless they are public, have no particular duty to relate the internal workings of their business to their clients, and in most cases would be well-advised not to tell clients more than they need to know. One of the problems I see with hosts at WHT is that they run off at the mouth far too much.

Unhappy Problems getting technical support

I'm on one of the AH packages that's been transferred to the DA system. Has anyone else in such a position succeeded in getting technical support? If so, how?

I've been trying for the last few weeks, but just been led round in circles. The DA people are also unreliable when it comes to replying to my enquiries.

And while I'm at it, has anybody managed to get subdomains working again since the transfer?

Stewart.