How they really afford ?

How dreamhost can afford their share hosting package for such low cost providing 1TB of bandwidth ?

Is it joke ?

Should i think like ... you get what you pay?

dreamhost is big hosting company ... so where is the catch ?

They can't actually afford it. And it seems as though a lot of their customers are unhappy with their service. Although one thing is for sure, if you come close to using 1TB bandwidth, your site WILL be suspended (not for the bandwidth but for server load, or too many simultanious connections or something)
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by jmcallister
    Although one thing is for sure, if you come close to using 1TB bandwidth, your site WILL be suspended (not for the bandwidth but for server load, or too many simultanious connections or something)
    Do you actually have proof that a user's site was suspended for comsuming a large amount of bandwidth, that really WASN'T causing a high load on the server, or are you just guessing because you hear this a lot?

Maybe I misphrased it. What i ment is along with a customer actually using 1TB of bandwidth, comes more simultanious server connections, or a larger use of system resources. The end customer might not be suspended for using the 1TB of bandwidth, but would most likely be suspended for an increase in CPU usage or something of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Retire
    How dreamhost can afford their share hosting package for such low cost providing 1TB of bandwidth ?

Is it joke ?

Should i think like ... you get what you pay?

dreamhost is big hosting company ... so where is the catch ?
    You are correct. You get what you pay for. There are a few recent threads here that are complaining about them. So I would be careful and not host mission critical sites with a company that offers you too much for too little.

Its really bad...
    Then how can i know which company is good .?

Its really bad...
    Do what you're doing... use WHT and learn from other member's experiences.
    Web Hosting by Brontobytes

Its really bad...
    Those who don't offer insane plans with "too good to be true" written all over them

Doing some research with your requirements will help you find the perfect host for yourself, or you can ask for recommendations from other users who post here based on your requirements and budget.

I have to agree with WN-ALI. Doing some good ole fashioned research can save you a lot of headaches in the future, and in the end you will be more secure with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcallister
    They can't actually afford it. And it seems as though a lot of their customers are unhappy with their service. Although one thing is for sure, if you come close to using 1TB bandwidth, your site WILL be suspended (not for the bandwidth but for server load, or too many simultanious connections or something)
    I'we seen people posting on DreamHost's blog (http://blog.dreamhost.com/2006/05/18...t-overselling/) saing they use their full 20GB of space and full 1TB of bandwith (and got over - and was happy to pay for it http://misc.chiisana.net/dh_bill.png)

There are more than one people stating they use close to 1TB of bandwith and full 20GB of space ...
    I have an account, hope to get to use that full TB of bandwith ...only then I will know for sure
    Got Fused?

I am just thinking how dreamhost will react when any user will consume 500+ GB of bandwidth .. i think if they really provide this bandwidth then it must create cpu resource usage issues.

you don't think its impossible for any website to use 1TB of bandwidth and don't overload their shared cpu resources ?

Its funny...

Do you actually have proof that a user's site was suspended for comsuming a large amount of bandwidth, that really WASN'T causing a high load on the server, or are you just guessing because you hear this a lot?
    You dont need proof, lot of the hosting companies do that and i am sure most of us have been here long enough to experience that , i am sure once u get close enough to even 600-700 GB bandwidth they will come up with lame excuses like too many hits on the site per second, or apache server crashed, or some other things that ur not going to argue about

so yeah research a little bit before u buy from them

I would like to inject my own thoughts here: though Dreamhost is overselling in very abundant quantities, credit is due them whereby they acknowledge overselling. I think the industry may see Dreamhost emerge very soon as the only overseller who both admits to this, and properly manages it. Take a look at their blog and you'll see what I mean.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

yes, I agree with Global, however I have heard dreamhost suspending accounts without notice and giving simple reasons ex: too many connections, server load etc...

This is where the catch is, they give you huge bandwidth and space, however they limit you in things you can host. In reality; you will not use all that space and bandwidth. It's a marketing strategy.
    EHOSTONE INC
    Ultimate Hosting Solution!
    http://reseller.ehostone.net

Quote Originally Posted by desigeek
    This is where the catch is, they give you huge bandwidth and space, however they limit you in things you can host. In reality; you will not use all that space and bandwidth. It's a marketing strategy.
    How can you say that after a user posted screenshots of someone's proof that they've used the bandwidth (and more):

http://misc.chiisana.net/dh_bill.png

Read the thread.

Yep, they are overselling - with lowest prices $8 per Mb/s of non redundant connection there is not way to not ovesell with these prices. Even more, because of that other hosting companies that owns their data centers which are saying "dedicated bandwidth for x dollars per month" are suffering because nobody believes them anymore...
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Despite the fact that I've recently tried Dreamhost and canceled (due to sluggish MySQL for my tastes) I'm going to defend them on this as I think this whole "overselling" critique is getting out of hand... it's become the automatonic mantra of armchair quarterbacks.

To say that it's not doable because of bandwidth costs alone is not seeing the bigger picture. The apparently reliable numbers state that very few of the many will come anywhere close to that level of usage, and they openly admit that they will lose money as far as bandwidth costs for that customer go, but that allowing that to happen will more than likely lead to that customer refering many new ones, especially when they brag and prove that they've been able to use the advertised space/transfer. It's all laws/averages, and sure... it's a gamble for them, but what isn't.

Dreamhost has some problems, no doubt... mostly in their technical setup, but I think their overall business plan is both doable... and pure genius.

Finally some sense from dwrunyon, what i see is a lot of "presumptions" and "hearsay", sure they are overselling like there is no tomorrow, sure they had cpu limits (emphasis on the had), sure they have had problems lately with their setup and power failures, sure they have a sluggish control panel, sure they have slow mysql, sure they have the most rotten e-mail system in the known universe, BUT (and this one is quite large)

They are honest about the overselling and they have repeatedly said that even though a person using 20gb of space and 1tb of bandwidth is extremely prejudicial to them, that they will keep their end of the agreement, also after they decided to change their policy regarding cpu limits, and since then i haven't seen a single complain regarding being banned, blocked or whatever else regarding that, also at least 2 very popular sites (that i know of) that were using Dreamhost and having problems with their cpu limits then commented that support had changed them to a new server or just stop bothering them about that (like feedblr you can see it here http://www.feedblendr.com/blog/ ), everyday you can see that there is a new problem with their setup (a server down, some cluster down, mostly mail problems) but all of this get solved quickly and you can see that at least that server or specific problem does not come back (you can see it here http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/ ), well the control panel is slow, but the options are quite overwhelming (in a good way), from custom dns to jabber, everything is there and it works (sooner or later), mysql is slow, but it works, and you can always create a new mysql account (that goes to the newest mysql server, since mysql is separete from your hosting server) and just transfer everything from the old mysql account (on the old server) to the new....problem solved, well the e-mail thing ... yeah it's a bit chaotic, but we are here for space and bandwidth, and it works fine most of the time.

I have an account there, sure it has just one mysql database, but i have 10 domains there, i use around 14gb of space and around 400gb of traffic, and this is every month since... November, few downtime's, support is always helpful (although slow), the sites run actually quite quickly (even the mysql one), so my point is, it's not perfect but it has a good price and it works quite good (comparing to the likes of site5 it works flawlessly), ohhh and you all should calm down on the overselling thing, especially when you are on the realm of "whatif's".