Hardware Diagnostic equipment and software

I'm looking for software and hardware for diagnosing things such as bad RAM, motherboards, power supply and other.

So far I have only come across memtest86 and a hardware device by thermaltake that checks for bad memory. Does anyone have any suggestions for other software or diagnostic equipment?

I like memtest86 and badblocks -v -v -w (will wipe the disk) for hdd's under linux.

I'm not sure how you would test a power supply, other than putting it under load and checking for stable output with a multimeter.

And what components on a MB?

I'd run several "cat /dev/sda | gzip -f9 | gunzip -f9 > /dev/null" and "cat /dev/zero | gzip | gunzip > /dev/null" over and over for 2 days, and if the machine copes without kernel panic and without crc errors. I'd be happy with it.

But if you are looking for what component has failed in a machine, I've found smelling the different bits to be the best option.

Graeme
    Secure your server with http://www.serverangel.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tonkagunner
    I'm looking for software and hardware for diagnosing things such as bad RAM, motherboards, power supply and other.

So far I have only come across memtest86 and a hardware device by thermaltake that checks for bad memory. Does anyone have any suggestions for other software or diagnostic equipment?
    Look up memtest86+ which updated and supports more MBs. I believe memtest86 isn't updated anymore.
    Larry Ludwig
    Empowering Media
    HostCube - Proactively Managed Xen based VPSes
    Empowering Media - The Dev Null Blog

spinrite is great for deciding if a hard drive is screwed or not. the claims of actually fixing problems are a bit overrated in my experience, but for diagnostics, great.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com