* Need Help Identifying Mushrooms

Below is a link to the mushrooms that are growing on a large log of an oak tree. I'm curious to know if they are edible or not. To help identify it, heres a little information.

Type of tree: Oak
    State: Ohio
    Weather: Wet

Mushroom Pictures:
    http://nupixel.com/mushrooms/

---------------------------------------------
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    NuPixel - Custom Web Design & Graphics
    Extraordinary, Not Ordinary
    Web & Graphic Design, HTML, XHTML, CSS, Script Customization & Integration + More!
    Click Today! --> NuPixelStudios.com

Without being able to see them in person, it's a little hard to tell, but these might help

http://www.oxford.net/outdoors/Odds&Ends/mushrooms.html

http://www.nifg.org.uk/edible_fungi.htm

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mus...ssentials.html

Guess right, mushroom yumminess. Guess wrong, you die. I'd rather not be the one doing the guessing
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Lol, thanks for the links. I think I'll let you do the guessing!!
    NuPixel - Custom Web Design & Graphics
    Extraordinary, Not Ordinary
    Web & Graphic Design, HTML, XHTML, CSS, Script Customization & Integration + More!
    Click Today! --> NuPixelStudios.com

Best to never eat wild mushrooms unless you're absolutely certain they're edible.

Could be deadly. I have tons of them actually on my land.
    Known as the "Daedalea quercina" or the "Trametes quercina" or the "lanzites quercina", but more commonly as the "Oak Daedalea" or the "Oak Trametes". Almost restricted to oak in North America.

Class: basidiomycetes
    Order: polyporales
    Family: coriolaceae
    Genre: bjerkandera

I remember back in highschool there were these idiotic kids always picking out these mushrooms that grew out of the horse droppings in the pasture next to the school and taking them home and boiling them and claiming to get high off it it like some drug.

Sick.

Frosty. It was actually drugs, I enjoy them myself. They most likely were psilocybe.cubensis mushrooms containing psilocybin and psilocin, two powerful hallucinogenic compounds. It's one of the safest drug available, in the last 2000 years, there are no recorded death that could have been caused by these. There are widespread urban legends about those mushrooms, but none of them are actually true like (i know someone who knows someone who now thinks he's a glass of orange juice and might spill if he moves, they cause food poisoning, they kill brain cells) etc etc...a quick check on snopes and the very reliable http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms.shtml will tell you the truth. They can be absorbed in several ways, namely tea, direct oral consumption (dry or humid), rectally.

Blitz Inc......you do shrooms to get high?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Inc
    Frosty. It was actually drugs, I enjoy them myself. They most likely were psilocybe.cubensis mushrooms containing psilocybin and psilocin, two powerful hallucinogenic compounds. It's one of the safest drug available, in the last 2000 years, there are no recorded death that could have been caused by these. There are widespread urban legends about those mushrooms, but none of them are actually true like (i know someone who knows someone who now thinks he's a glass of orange juice and might spill if he moves, they cause food poisoning, they kill brain cells) etc etc...a quick check on snopes and the very reliable http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms.shtml will tell you the truth. They can be absorbed in several ways, namely tea, direct oral consumption (dry or humid), rectally.

This reminds me of some persons site I used to host that was all about the recreational use of. marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Inc
    Frosty. It was actually drugs, I enjoy them myself. They most likely were psilocybe.cubensis mushrooms...

...They can be absorbed in several ways, namely tea, direct oral consumption (dry or humid), rectally.
    As a general aside, if you're prone to spending quiet evenings at home shoving mushrooms up your ***, that, my friend, is a cry for help.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

The rule of mushroom identification that I was taught:
    1. The ones that are sold in the store are edible.
    2. The ones that grow wild are not.

Carp, I do. And no I don't take them rectally. I usually grind them into fine powder and mix them with chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    As a general aside, if you're prone to spending quiet evenings at home shoving mushrooms up your ***, that, my friend, is a cry for help.
    Makes you wonder how and why the first person to shove the mushroom up their arse did it to find out that you could get high from it

you don't have to try it out to figure it'll work. Psilocin/Psilocybin is absorbed in the intestines. Logically, if you put it there it'll get absorbed too. It's not an effective way of absorbing them though. It'd be a nightmare to stick 2-3 + grams of dry mushrooms up your butt (you should see how much mushroom that is lol)

I don't know for shure. But one thing i know its not a magic mushroom :p

Try em and report back to us

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...