* HELP! At a lose on whats going on?? NEED HELP! :)

Hello,

I have a server that runs several sites.. One of my sites gets more than 10k uniques a day...

The problem is this, during high traffic hours, when there are hundreds of people on my site at once, the site takes FOREVER to load.. I goto my server stats and the server is well within operating range showing NO load or problems..

My site is a Video site.. and the server is on a 100mbps port.. Its through layertech so I know they have a good network, I just cant find the problem..

All videos are approximately 1-3 minutes in lenght..

Question is this... I dont know how to calculate if the 100mbps connection is enough for my site..

If I have 300 people viewing videos on my site at the same time, each video 4-8 megs in size, is a 100mbps connection good enough.. Is there where my problem lies???

PLEASE help... I am getting so much traffic to my site, but I am having major problems with the site loading..

I cant post the site on here due to its nature and WHT rules, but here is my server configuration :

Dual Xeon 3.40GHz w/ hyperthreading
    2 gigs ram
    Dual 160 gig sata drives
    whm/cpanel
    100mbps port

Also right now there are 420 people on my site.. Here is the servers stats :

Server Load 0.21 (4 cpus)
    Memory Used 24.1 %

Also is there a way to verify that my server is on a 100mbps port????

Thanks
    EbizCraftsman.com Hosting & Web Design
    EbizCraftsman.com

Advertise your hosting company here!!

* Moved to Technical and Security Issues....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

You can verify whether or not your server is on a 100 Mbit FD/HD connection or just 10 MBit, however, this is only the maximum. You might very well be connected to a switch by 100 Mbit - but along with 40 other servers, because this is about how many servers you can fit in a rack. And I assume you did not rent a dedicated 100 Mbit line.

So...
    100 Mbit = 12,6 MB/sec (theoretical maximum, usually way less)
    divided by 40 leaves you 0.3 MB/sec. Even if there are just 20 servers sharing the available bandwidth, it goes down to 0.6 MB/sec. Naturally, this only happens if other servers are indeed using this bandwidth. Most dedicated servers barely use any bandwidth.

My advise to you is this:
    once you are experiencing problems again, use a second server to grab a file from your server using wget. It will show you the transfer rates - if they are low, you might have a bandwidth problem.

Just a suggestion, try having your httpd (i assume apache) load more child proccess.

Try to restart the apache once and check if that helps to load the sites faster.
    ESC :wq!

How to find if bandwith is your issue.

do the following to find out if you have a problem with bandwith issues.

maybe you or a friend have another server hosted on another ISP or hosting company.

When your server is not busy upload a 30 meg file to that server and benchmark the upload speed and the time.

Record that information and then do it 3 more times.

then when your server is the busy and you have people downloading files from your site you should upload the file to that same server and benchmark how long it takes and the speed at which you are uploading.

If you notice a considerable decrease on the upload speed then your problem might be a bandwith issue.

Try uploading the file 3 times when your server is busy and just to make sure run the test again when the server is not busy.

Only benchmarking upload speeds you will find out if you are having a problem with your bandwith.

Try that before assuming that apache might be the problem.

Assuming 300 users at 1.5Mb each, you have a demand for 450Mb on a 100Mb port. Assuming you get about 80% of your 100Mb connection in a congested mode, your videos should take 3.6 times as long to download as normally, if everything is tuned up.

What's the average size of your files?
    Specializing in MySQL and website tuning for high traffic sites. cmwsci.com/

Hello,

The average size of each file is about 5-8 megs..

I have done some tweaking.. I have removed all videos from the site and have them coming in from outise sources..

So I am not drawing that much bandwidth.. Now the traffic on my site has jumped considerable.. Even though they are not draining that much bandwidth, I am having constant problems with systems resources going SKY high..

This is driving me nuts.. I am only getting around 15k uniques a day.. Should not be drowning the nice monster system I have
    EbizCraftsman.com Hosting & Web Design
    EbizCraftsman.com

Advertise your hosting company here!!

What does top say? Are you supplying most of your content from PHP? If so, are you running an accelerator, like APC or eAccelerator? Note that Zend Optimizer is not and accelerator.
    Specializing in MySQL and website tuning for high traffic sites. cmwsci.com/