ImHosted.com vs DreamHost.com

They both seem fairly good hosts to me, but I'm wondering which is the best overall in terms of support, reliability and speed and my websites. I'll be hosting severa websites with whomever I chose on the one account, including MySpace resources and a few popular arcades. I've just read a horror story on here about DH but some guy posted in the end which made it seem ok... lol.

Please could you just give me your honest advice from any good/bad experiences you may have had with them, thanks.

Both hosts have had their fare share of good and bad reviews, look around, you mind find others that interest you too!

DreamHost has a lot of reviews around here. Try using the search function.

Just beware that DreamHost oversells a lot, and if you are looking for support, reliability and speed it might be better to look elsewhere.

Just beware that DreamHost oversells a lot
    As opposed to.. Imhosted? They're both overselling by similar, record breaking margins.

Quote Originally Posted by WalesAlex
    They both seem fairly good hosts to me, but I'm wondering which is the best overall in terms of support, reliability and speed and my websites. I'll be hosting severa websites with whomever I chose on the one account, including MySpace resources and a few popular arcades. I've just read a horror story on here about DH but some guy posted in the end which made it seem ok... lol.

Please could you just give me your honest advice from any good/bad experiences you may have had with them, thanks.

what has led you to narrow the selection down to just these two? is it price alone?

Are you considering these because they offer enormous amounts of bandwidth?
    Remember that you won't be able to use all that b/w unless perhaps if you have a totally static html site.

Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

My sites include big flash files (3,000 game arcadex3) and plenty of images and lots of MySpace files and around the site...

What else would you recommend then? I've looked around at plenty of places such as hostmonster, lypha and ******, these 2 particularly caught my eye though. All I want is about 10-20gb space and at least 300gb b/w.

I just emailed DH and within about 5 minutes they'd replied...

"This is not a problem at all. As long as your site doesn't have any
    intensive scripts that are poorly written and cause the CPU load to go
    through the roof / create an unstable shared environment, then you'll
    have no problem being hosted here.

Sharing images don't take up really any resources.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks
    Sam"

The arcade and resource script I use are fairly common and very decent. I'm happy with their efficient support and I just found a code for $97 off, so $22.40 for 12 months hosting with double my specifications and a 3 months money back guarantee... can I really go wrong? Feel free to reply if they are totally crap in your opinion/they won't refund/post-sale support is crap. Looking for honesty & experience, thanks.

I hate an account in dreamhost and I recomend you stay away because I went over a bit of bandiwdth maby a gig and they recharge for the whole plan $100 something what ever the whole plan was for that year. I cancelled my account with them. Both sites are overselling so you will run into unexpected problems and accedental TOS violations
    Reliable + Fast Servers
    http://www.CollarHosting.com

I recommend hostgator personally...but I know more about dreamhost than imhosted

Quote Originally Posted by billionaire
    I hate an account in dreamhost and I recomend you stay away because I went over a bit of bandiwdth maby a gig and they recharge for the whole plan $100 something what ever the whole plan was for that year. I cancelled my account with them. Both sites are overselling so you will run into unexpected problems and accedental TOS violations
    Bandwidth overages are billed at $1 per gigabyte over for level 1 & 2 plans and $0.50 per gigabyte over for level 2 & 3 plans. I'm not familiar with the case you're referring to but if you could mention the domain you had hosted with DreamHost I'd be happy to look into the issue for you.

Could you please explain what you mean by running into "accidental TOS violations"?

Don't know Imhosted, but dreamhost is actually good (overall), and billionaire the last time i checked you can limit the bandwidth on dreamhost (so if you want, when you reach your...1tb of bandwidth the site will stop working), now the "accidental TOS violations" is quite puzzling...

I have an account in Tomcat from Imhosted. They were... sadly my favourite supprt team until the last week, the system was down each night (several hours) i had to download all my files and databases, i tried to install again but the errors DB continued. I could not unzip, unrar some files that before were deflated.

It was after they changed the version of Mysql ( i think) because before all was ok.

I have 5 days looking for a Tomcat hosting because the support was really slow, before was 20 minutes, now until the next day or midnight.

I spent money and time for a week and today i must to install 5 systems from zero again!!! And i am very very tired to try to re-install all of my systems again without success.

Maybe and im sure the other systems offered by Imhosted are Ok. But Tomcat and the support team this month have been bad TO ME (i dont know how other people with Tomcat are now).
    Last edited by azulazul; 09-07-2006 at 08:11 PM.