Checking disk performance on windows

On Linux, I can type "top" and it tells me how much time is being spent waiting for the disk, and "vmstat" shows how many bytes are being read in/out of the disk.

What's the equivalent in Win2003?

the performance mmc which you may found in Administrative tools will be what you are looking. You can use in conjunction with the task manager ( allow you to select columns on which modules you would like to monitor ).
    Tweakservers : Authorised Reseller of SmarterMail | SmarterStats | SmarterStats | Mailenable

The performance monitor/system monitor, is a utility used to track a range of processes and give a real time graphical display of the results, on a Windows 2003 system. This tool can be found in Start > setting > control panel > administrative tools > performance.

And meantime you can check the current process and the usage by looking into the taskmanager. By this you can get how much CPU usage the specific process is consuming and also various analysis can be done.

right click task bar > choose task manager.
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty

You mean this program, right: http://lina.aaanime.net/~pmak/perf.PNG

I feel stupid for asking, but what do I do with it in order to see the disk usage?

Open task manager and go to view > select colums .. you can add stuff like I/O reads/writes into there.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    Open task manager and go to view > select colums .. you can add stuff like I/O reads/writes into there.

Dan
    My Task Manager doesn't have a "View > Select Columns". It only has:

Refresh Now
    Update Speed >
    CPU History >
    Show Kernel Times

Yes
    ** In the Performance window, right-click the right pane, and then click Add Counters.
    **Under Performance object , click physical disk object
    **You can select all counters or specific counters. This system monitor will give a clear break down than taskmanager.
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty