Virtual Picket Line outside Aplus.net

I had a dedicated server at aplus.net. I'm still paying for it too. Yep... they require a 30 day notice for termination of their dedicated server accounts... yep even though I cleared it off days after a total server melt down where most of my user submitted data was lost. (see complete story elsewhere on this forum)

I paid these guys this final month because I feared they would send me to some awful collections agency and it was worth $169 to avoid the inevitable harassment for withholding payment.

But... back to the purpose of this post. I simply want to invite you to participate in my virtual picket line outside aplus.net. Web hosting companies like this must be stopped! I can't think of another way to do it but to hit them where it hurts most, the pocket books!

Do you have an aplus.net war story? Please share it!

Read more about the picket line: stopaplus.blogspot.com

There are so many negative aplus threads here... I'm sure you could find plenty of people interested in sharing their story
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

they are holding a domain name of mine hostage after I think almost 2 years of being gone.

I had a dedicated server with them for awhile, cancelled it, received confirmation and everything of the cancel. All is well. this was acct #1

1 year later I go to renew a domain with them (acct #2) and they inform me of an outstanding balance of $250ish for an unpaid dedicated server bill, they explain I cannot just renew the domain but I must pay everything even though this is 2 separate accounts.

I proceed to somehow dig up the old cancellation emails and approval, then was ran around and continued to be run around until I finally just said forget it and let the domain go. This went on for a few days before they ended with 'we cannot help you because we cannot find your cancellation paperwork on our end.

lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by AvailNetworks
    they are holding a domain name of mine hostage after I think almost 2 years of being gone.

I had a dedicated server with them for awhile, cancelled it, received confirmation and everything of the cancel. All is well. this was acct #1

1 year later I go to renew a domain with them (acct #2) and they inform me of an outstanding balance of $250ish for an unpaid dedicated server bill, they explain I cannot just renew the domain but I must pay everything even though this is 2 separate accounts.

I proceed to somehow dig up the old cancellation emails and approval, then was ran around and continued to be run around until I finally just said forget it and let the domain go. This went on for a few days before they ended with 'we cannot help you because we cannot find your cancellation paperwork on our end.

lovely.

They totally cannot hold your domain, just transfer it out and if they don't co-operate, find out who is the actual registrar and call them directly. I don't think APlus.net is a ICANN registrar so they are using a reseller account with another ICANN registrar and you can call and complain to them and force them to unlock the domain name. Once unlocked just transfer your domain name out of there to another provider.

That domain name belongs totally to you, they can stop DNS service for it but they cannot take control of your domain name. That is clearly illegal. You have right to transfer that domain out of there any time you want regardless of any unpaid bills you have with them.

You really think getting a domain changed is that easy?

If that's the case tell me what your registrar is and what your domain names are, i'll take them from you since all I have to do is call.

unfortunately they are an ICANN registrar. I attempted to transfer and they would not authorize it. Thankfully it was not a critical domain and I could just let it go without complaining to much.....but the principal of the thing still burns me

STORY #2:

got a few strange numbers on my personal cell phone starting with the area code 925 I believe. Finally figured it was aplus who called wanting to sell me web developement with a pre recorded message. I answered the call and got transferred to a rep and asked to be removed from the list, I got hung up on by 6 different reps before one finally sad "ok" then hung up on me.

too me 3 more tries after that for one to say "no problem, I will remove you now, thanks and have a nice day"

Same here avail -- weird thing is, I never gave them my number. I had a domain with them, but I got the cell number way after. Took 3 calls before I got through to a supervisor and chewed them out. Needless to say, they took me off the list.

Just threaten legal action to the little guys and they pass it right up the chain.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

I'm so glad I never got any domains through these guys. At this point I think all ties are cut (crossing my fingers).

Quote Originally Posted by AvailNetworks
    unfortunately they are an ICANN registrar. I attempted to transfer and they would not authorize it. Thankfully it was not a critical domain and I could just let it go without complaining to much.....but the principal of the thing still burns me

STORY #2:

got a few strange numbers on my personal cell phone starting with the area code 925 I believe. Finally figured it was aplus who called wanting to sell me web developement with a pre recorded message. I answered the call and got transferred to a rep and asked to be removed from the list, I got hung up on by 6 different reps before one finally sad "ok" then hung up on me.

too me 3 more tries after that for one to say "no problem, I will remove you now, thanks and have a nice day"
    Here is how they do it:

As an ICANN registrar they are given the complete list of domains registered every day, they delete any domains that are outside of US, then the reset are given to their Bulgaria connection, slave labor there does whois on every domain name and sends the information to aplus here in the US, all domains with numbers on Do Not Call are taken out(most people end up using their cell phone to sign up for domains, big mistake), their automated system then starts calling the numbers, if you answer it you would be sent to live operator, then if you are a hot lead you are sent to a sales person, if you don't answer it will try several times and would leave you vague massages.

What they do is illegal, but since they can say the information is from a third party they can get away with it.

Average Joe Shmo does not know any better and end up signing up for hosting and design, about 50% of designs are canceled and many are in the courts now.
    You should always read the provider rules, they make everything to their advantage, just go to one that you agree with.