Need a webhost ..

Hello all, I usually browse the site and never had the pleasure of registering or giving my opinions..

As of recently HostGator has been acting fuzzy with our account, today it was suspended for so called "apache abuse" .. i'm not quite understanding what it means and that's all we were told about. The site we run does use some image tools via apache (but that tool has been discontinued ages ago) and we do have a few people still using it, 2-3 users tops.

We're on a $9.95/mo plan with HostGator, account suspended, been down for hours w/out a support reply as of yet on how to fix this account (assuming because of labor day), but we're hoping to move to a new provider and just get it over with.

The specs of our plan is at their Shared Link (Can't post URL's here yet) (Baby plan)

<< removed >> we dont abuse our unlimited features that they do offer, we have approx. 4 domains hosted on the site, a few CNAME pointers for DNS and we'd be willing to compromise on some of the features as long as they do not affect our current operations.

Hope to hear [suggestions or recommendations] from some of you. (Hopefully HostGator doesn't pop in here when they can't respond to a support ticket.)

EDIT: We've used them for several different occasions, never problems like this, our bill is automatically debited from my card and is ALWAYS paid on time. We're repeat customers of them and things just aren't the same. We could have easily fixed any abuse problems had we been appropriately warned, or we'd simply upgrade to another account if that's what they wanted to better handle the site. I'm not sure if it's the forum or what, we've been ranging around 30,000 hits a month and i think that may be the problem, but it's the core of our site. :/
    Last edited by writespeak; 09-04-2006 at 06:04 PM.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with host gator. I have not heard of 'apache' abuse. What type of site did you host with them? If your looking for hosting you might try taking a look at the offers section, and see if any of the hosts there can provide you with a new hosting account that wont knock your site out for 'apache' abuse.
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

We do host minor apps for our site, and site related mp3s and those are restricted on your site, could you compromise that? We normally only push out 15GB per month .. We'd also be willing to pay the $9.95 that we currently pay HostGator if you could meet us half way on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcallister
    I am sorry to hear about your experience with host gator. I have not heard of 'apache' abuse. What type of site did you host with them? If your looking for hosting you might try taking a look at the offers section, and see if any of the hosts there can provide you with a new hosting account that wont knock your site out for 'apache' abuse.
    I've not heard of it either .. I've managed dedicated servers for years and always used external webhosting from several providers, mainly HostGator, not sure if they are just wanting to push us out the door or what, but a better or honest explanation would gotten us to atleast upgrade or something..

The site we host is just a gaming site, we don't host any playable games via the web, but we just offer a place for the members of our gaming community to check out some videos of new games, listen to parody mp3s and download gaming related patches and apps.

hmm... How many average users did you have on your site at any given time? Maybe they consider apache abuse when you have too many visitors on the site at once? Just a guess, but they still should have given you a better explanation.
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

The users on the site were pretty random, sometimes 10-12 and sometimes 30 or more during peak.. blah, I made a mistake in this post above.. Sorry about requesting hosting services, the offer section looks kind of shabby though, too many of those $4 plans in there, heh. WeEe. I guess I'll just go on the infamous hunt...

OR .. could anyone tell me of some good providers that they have had good experiences with? (Hope that's not against teh rules

Erm, my new slogan for HostGator -- "We eat up our customers" ..

Quote Originally Posted by jmcallister
    hmm... How many average users did you have on your site at any given time? Maybe they consider apache abuse when you have too many visitors on the site at once? Just a guess, but they still should have given you a better explanation.
    Most ironic thing is .. I have an actual IMPORT/EXPORT business for crystal and bronze products and now my site is down for that, making us look unprofessional and we can't get our e-mail for one of our most recent transactions involving a crystal shipment. Jesus this blows.

8. I believe apache abuse is just to many simultaneous connections to your website. This may have been due to a massive rush of traffic you had to your site.

You may be able to talk hostgator into giving you a second chance if you explain it was a one time thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Hosting 101
    I believe apache abuse is just to many simultaneous connections to your website. This may have been due to a massive rush of traffic you had to your site.

You may be able to talk hostgator into giving you a second chance if you explain it was a one time thing.
    You've been the most helpful here, when I return from the Beach I'll give your site a look and possibly switch there if the plans meet our specs. Thanks for all the help.

I contacted HostGator through their livechat to get an answer from them of what they define "apache abuse" as... and I was told:

Utilizing too many resources or if a script hangs/crashes the apache/httpd service on the server.
    I hope that helped and gave you some insight!
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

laugh. our site is strictly PHP, the only thing we use is gif image minipulation via apache modules which is written in PHP.

oh well, i got a reply to my ticket 7 hours later .. "What domain is this for" .. laugh.

someone grew too fast.

yeah I had some friends who got suspended for the same thing and they was a semi high traffic site. sddesign.biz suspended without warning. I think hostgator is just another one of those oversellers where if you start actually using what you are allocated you get suspended. I dont mean to bad mouth another company but sd was with them a while and just when they started getting popular, bam! suspended then terminated the second time.
    I also know they dont even have apache flood protection because I have got a few customers from there that said their site could be dropped by any kid with an apache dosser on his pc.

Thats the thing people dont realize about oversellers, when you start actually using the resources they get you. I have heard quite a few instances of people getting suspended for resource abuse on hostgator.

I would just move on, if your site is getting popular and gaining lots of traffic then you will end up being terminated. I will have to dig up the post on nuke-evolution forums where sd had the same situation.

For a high traffic site you are better off going with a bigger company with bigger network or perhaps get your own server or vps.
    Last edited by jon-f; 09-04-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fragtopia
    I've not heard of it either .. I've managed dedicated servers for years.
    Maybe bring the site to one of the servers you managed to check out what apache abuse they are talking.

Yeah, we're moving on. Our first initial problem began with our mysql databases, one db had a live connection that received a good bit of attention then bam, our mysql stuff was put on lockdown w/out warning or notice .. still to this day does not work properly, didn't even give us a chance to dackup the database to host it elsewhere, just blatantly deleted one of our most valuable databases, we had to use a 3 week old db and it just wasn't the same.

Now the "apache abuse" propaganda, just another run around to me. I think you're right, oversold and now having to ditch the trafficked sites in order to keep the sites hosted that generate 10 visits per month.

Quote Originally Posted by efarmer
    Maybe bring the site to one of the servers you managed to check out what apache abuse they are talking.
    We still have some dedicated servers but they're used for other purposes, I don't want to run a non-profit site on something as costly as VPS or Dedicated.. In the end I may be forced to though.

Server usage and Network usage are different things. But, the quick solution is to move to a host with more powerful servers. Also I never thought that HostGator was much of an overseller.