Site Disappeared

Hi, new and clueless, have pity.

I have a virtual dedicated server at godaddy and have 2 sites on it. They have been there for one week, everything fine. A couple of hours ago one disappeared, the url cannot be found. I haven't changed anything at all, nothing. Now I have a huge problem. When I look at the WHM and cPanel everything looks fine.

I need some pointers on where to start looking. I could have set it up wrong, but why would I have trouble after a week?

Any help and pointers appreciated.

Are you able to ftp into the account and or check email? Perhaps the content itself was just deleted by an attack of some sort.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

more

Now I cannot ftp either, but I have changed something in whm, no telling what I have done. But before I changed I could ftp in, and everything was there and intact.

Actually, I can ftp in, everything is still there. What else to look for?

Did you FTP in through your IP or domain?

Maybe you changed the DNS entries for that domain and it's pointing somewhere that doesn't exist. Make sure the name servers are at godaddy since youre hosting with them.

If in doubt you can PM me a url of both your sites, they should be the same server right?

Quote Originally Posted by krimchik
    Hi, new and clueless, have pity.

I have a virtual dedicated server at godaddy and have 2 sites on it. They have been there for one week, everything fine. A couple of hours ago one disappeared, the url cannot be found. I haven't changed anything at all, nothing. Now I have a huge problem. When I look at the WHM and cPanel everything looks fine.

I need some pointers on where to start looking. I could have set it up wrong, but why would I have trouble after a week?

Any help and pointers appreciated.
    You may want to first check DNS for your domain.

nslookup -type=ns domain.com

Above tells you if your domain even exists and has not expired.

nslookup www.domain.com

Above tells you what IP your domain name points to.

Then ping that IP or telnet to port 80 of that IP.

I suspect that something is up with your DNS or the websites are not configured correctly on that virtual server.

Did you delete the old nameservers, or just append new ones? It's happened before...

Check your domain at http://www.dnsreport.com

That will tell you whether the parent servers are reporting the right authoritative name server/IP and if the name servers have the correct NS and A records.
    Ripple Web
    RippleWeb.com
    Dedicated Servers - Private Cloud Services - Colocation