Thread: DNS questions

DNS questions

Hi,

In the next two weeks I will buy a Dedicated Server because my reseller account is full. I have some questions about DNS:

1. Does dedicated server companies provide you with a Master DNS server so you will be able to host your sites?
    2. How will I be able to provide my Reseller clients with DNS like these? (ns1.myclient.com etc)

thanks
    Convert your PSD to HTML. we create valid xHTML/CSS and SEO optimized web pages for you.

Usually you need to run the nameserver(s) yourself. Some host may offer backup, however, it is not always possible to automaticly sync that with your client's domains. Best is to use two of your own servers, or if you only have one server: use a simple VPS as secondary DNS. (Primary being your server itself).

Thanks Xandrios,

I will only have one server for all deamons. Do you think it will be possible to run Bind and simulate both ns1 and ns2?

Also, I will use cPanel, so do you know if there is any public DNS service around?
    Convert your PSD to HTML. we create valid xHTML/CSS and SEO optimized web pages for you.

Yes you can run both ns1 and ns2 on the same server. However that is not how it is supposed to be setup: Since both nameservers will be unreachable in case of your server being down. Which means lost mail, unreachable websites and such.

A $15/month VPS account somewhere should be enough to run the CPanel DNS (special DNS-only version of Cpanel). Which will make sure always one of your nameservers will be online. And thus that mail can temporarily be saved @ the VPS, a temporarily "we are down because of X" page can be setup, stuff like that

Before you jump ship, make sure you have some basic management skills.

Learn a few things about security etc and work your way up before transferring all your data/clients to your own server.

It's not worth compromising the data / your clients data etc.

Should only take a few days to make it secure.

You'll save a lot of potential hassle down the line if you're prepared.

If you don't know what your doing, have at least someone else that does. Support can cost a fair bit as well.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

If you just get a control panel you'll be fine. They all run DNS on the same server, and it works just fine.

Ideally you'd have separate machines on separate Class "C"s but the control panels don't do it.

What you need to do is decide what domain you want to use. When you get the new server, take two of the IPs (doesn't matter which, you can still use them for hosting, SSL, etc) then go to where you registered that domain, and register two name servers using those two IPs.

You make the "A" entries in your control panel and you're done. Now you don't have to rely on anyone's DNS, and you can give out those name servers to your customers. The exception to the rule is if cPanel doesnt automatically set your IPs to respond to DNS queries. I don't know because I don't use it. Plesk does, but Ensim doesn't. etc etc. Even if they don't it's a simple step to change.

It's really simple and there's nothing to it.

thank you all for the advices.

I think Xandrios solution with Cpanel DNS and a separate VPS is the best and more secure solution. I never had my own Dedicated Server with cPanel, but I have lot's of expertise on Linux.

e-Places, sorry I don't understand your way of handling DNS.

If you just get a control panel you'll be fine.
    You mean that cPanel it self manages DNS records if you just install Bind on the server? This will be really cool!

Ideally you'd have separate machines on separate Class "C"s but the control panels don't do it.
    cPanel doesn't have support on handling DNS on different IP's?

On general, e-Places, can you explain your answer please? This infos are valuable.

Also, with cPanel DNS, will I be able to provide my customers their own DNS's?

thanks again

You don't need a separate VPS; if your primary machine (which hosts web, email, etc etc.) goes down, it doesn't matter how many DNS servers you have. Your services are still unreachable.

Save your money and run everything on one box.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

Quote Originally Posted by tical
    You don't need a separate VPS; if your primary machine (which hosts web, email, etc etc.) goes down, it doesn't matter how many DNS servers you have. Your services are still unreachable.

Save your money and run everything on one box.
    Exactly, there is no point wasting money. If your main box goes down, your DNS is up but no services are available to handle the requests?

You might want to consider setting up the VPS as a secondary name server, for backups and to queue mail for you as a secondary MX incase your main box goes down entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by tical
    Most MTAs will bounce e-mail immediately in the event of a DNS lookup failure, but will defer email and at least attempt delivery a few times for a successful lookup followed by a connection failure. In the event of an extended outage, having a DNS server with established glue records and a working web server could prove handy. The benefits are peripheral, but they are there.

Eric
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Just put a secondary IP address on the same server and point ns2 to that IP address. For future expansion VPS with secondary DNS on somewhere else is a good choice too.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219