How much power do I need?

I'm interested in getting a VPS account once my shared hosting runs out. The only problem is that I'm not really sure how much power I will need to run all of my sites... here's what I want to host:
    • Invision forum with a max. of about 20 users on at any one time. 80k posts and 300 members.
    • 20 other smaller domains that shouldn't be too hard to run.
    • Currently using 1GB of space and 10GB of bandwidth a month. Obviously I need room to expand.
    • I would like to run a small IRC server on the VPS for roughly 20 people.
    • I would also like the possibility of running a public proxy server, though this is not going to be a deciding factor.
    How much RAM and CPU do you think this will need? I don't plan on running much in the way of a control panel (I might put on webmin), I just want a really basic setup for as cheap as possible (but not rubbish!).

Hi DoubleVision,

You need only ;

P4 3.0 ( or AMD 3100+ ) CPU
    512 Ram
    Need disc ( 10 GB to 20 GB )
    and a good company for VPS

I think like as this server about 39-49 $.

Proxy websites (not servers per say) need a lot of processing power and aren't suitable for VPS. The other bits are. If you look at a 256MB VPS with IRC allowed I think you should be ok especially if just command line/webmin only
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

The IRC requirement will narrow your field of possible vendors. Hosts try to avoid IRC, because it has a history of attracting complications.

Hmm... sounds like I might as well go for a cheap dedication machine then. Any suggestions?

colo4jax comes to mind first. I belive they allow irc and sell dedicated servers.

Have a look at:

Had a few downtimes with them but that was due to the data center having a power failure and out of there control. I also know how hard it is to find a VPS provider for IRC hosting!

I think you need a 512 mb memory based vps