Washing Machine Problem

Hey, I don't know if you guys have any insight on this but it's driving me crazy. My washing machine overflows a ton of the time.. not from the top though, from the drain. The way that it works is that it drains from the machine before the spin cycle, up through this tube and then down the drain... but as it drains the tube doesnt allow it drain out so it just fills up the tube and overflows.

The thing is, if we lift up the lid it allows the drain to clear and drains the water properly. At first we thought it was a clogged or small drain, but that's not the case since we stuck a snake down there and nothing was clogging it.

Any ideas?

Zaitech,
    More than likely your hose is to far down in the drain pipe .This is creating suction(vacuum effect). You need pull the hose up some.
    HTH

my washer breaks very few months. it is always something simple. always get a warranty.

Well this was here when we moved in, so it's semi-old but still in very good shape..

As for the tube being far down, we tried pulling it up a lot and it still did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitech
    Well this was here when we moved in, so it's semi-old but still in very good shape..

As for the tube being far down, we tried pulling it up a lot and it still did it.
    try pulling it out some more... also, is it a tight fit?

My cousin took some small rope and tide one end to the hot water, wrapped it around the water hose going from the washing machine and put the tip of the hose into the pipe. The other end of rope he tied to the cold water.

Personally, I would reboot the machine; works 95% of the time. Seriously, I would call a plumber (they could tell you what is wrong for free over the phone, I bet). Or visit a home improvement forumů.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Yeah, I posted on a home improvement forum already but it's extemely inactive so I havn't gotten a response yet. But no it's not a tight fit. I might try taking the tube all the way to the top of the pipe and holding it there.

Yeah, I posted on a home improvement forum already but it's extemely inactive so I havn't gotten a response yet. .
    Oh, yea, Martha is off house arrest, so I doubt if anyone is home on those forums.

The thing is, if we lift up the lid it allows the drain to clear and drains the water properly.
    What lid? The washer lid?

There's also a 1 1/2 inch to 3 inch pipe coming out of the roof that allows air into the drain system to equalize the pressure. Every drain pipe in the house connects to it. If that gets clogged, maybe from a bird or something the water can't drain because there is no air to replace the water, (or not enough air).

Quote Originally Posted by page-zone
    There's also a 1 1/2 inch to 3 inch pipe coming out of the roof that allows air into the drain system to equalize the pressure. Every drain pipe in the house connects to it. If that gets clogged, maybe from a bird or something the water can't drain because there is no air to replace the water, (or not enough air).
    Is that what happened, what someone told you, or what you guess? Just wondering, in case I run into this in the future.... never know....

I've never seen or heard of a vent pipe get clogged, but there isn't anything stopping it. Most of them (all the ones I've ever seen) stick straight up from the roof, and aren't covered. I'd be surprised to see one get clogged because they go straight down to the 4 inch sewer pipe. Other house drains usually connect into that from the side. Ever drain has one pipe going down, and one branching from that going over to the vent pipe.

I'm not even sure if it's called a "vent pipe". I just know them from years of remodeling, and if they are clogged above where the washer drain is there will be a vaccume and the water will stay in the drain just like a finger over the top of a straw. Especially if the washer drain hose has a small air gap around it.

It might be something to check. And the reason they exist is so water can freely drain down to the sewer pipe, and to vent gasses from the sewer pipe. There's no u-joint that does that in the main sewer drain like there is in every other drain in the house. Without that pipe, living in the house would be pretty miserable.
    Last edited by page-zone; 09-04-2006 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by page-zone
    I've never seen or heard of a vent pipe get clogged, but there isn't anything stopping it. Most of them (all the ones I've ever seen) stick straight up from the roof, and aren't covered. I'd be surprised to see one get clogged because they go straight down to the 4 inch sewer pipe. Other house drains usually connect into that from the side. Ever drain has one pipe going down, and one branching from that going over to the vent pipe.

I'm not even sure if it's called a "vent pipe". I just know them from years of remodeling, and if they are clogged above where the washer drain is there will be a vaccume and the water will stay in the drain just like a finger over the top of a straw. Especially if the washer drain hose has a small air gap around it.

It might be something to check. And the reason they exist is so water can freely drain down to the sewer pipe, and to vent gasses from the sewer pipe. There's no u-joint that does that in the main sewer drain like there is in every other drain in the house. Without that pipe, living in the house would be pretty miserable.
    Oh, crap... I'm sorry for my post... for some reason I thought you were the original poster. lol... sorry, man.... you were providing more info for the OP to check....

I'll give that a try, not sure where it is but I'll look around for it. Thanks for the tips so far.

If it is clogged from a bird just unclog the vent pipe and it should drain smoothly, or should I also make sure there is no gap between the drain pipe and the other water hose?

You could find the only pipe sticking out of the roof that is completely open to the sky (& rain). Turn the hose on a little, if it hits the bottom and sounds like a mini cavern it's probably not blocked.

If it hits what sounds like tin, and people start yelling from the house, thats the furnace. You'll need to measure the diameter of that one and buy it a vent cap.

If it hits something and the water makes like a "thud" sound - thats probably an animal carcass. Or a bunch of angry bees.

Remember this is plumbing advice from a rank amature.
    Last edited by page-zone; 09-04-2006 at 11:59 PM.