Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any comments on ServerAxis?

I'm looking for a replacement Xen VPS host, does anyone have any comments on ServerAxis? They seem to have great plans, but the most important thing for me is stability. I've been evaluating UnixShell but every month or two my VPS will be down for a few hours without any explanation. Thanks!

I've only been with them a few weeks but no complaints so far.

The initial sign up took longer then I expected. Account creation probably only takes place during business hours since mine was created on Monday morning. They are the first host that didn't email me my password which is great from a security standpoint.

I've been with them for just 2 and a half months, these are my experiences until now.

pros:
    • The specs of the VPS are nice, for just $30 you get 512M RAM and 20G diskspace.
    • The performance has been great as far as I can tell, but of course this depends on the other VPS on the server.
    • Availability: i haven't experienced any problems with network connectivity or server uptime. I last rebooted the server two months ago and it is still running.
    cons:
    • No virtual serial console. If you mess up your firewall rules and lock yourself out, touch luck.
    • They don't allow IRC. This by itself isn't really an issue but the way they enforce this policy is. They do this by blocking all access to ports in the range 6660 - 7000. This doesn't just block IRC but many others as well, Bittorrent being one of the most well known, and a custom server I have to access.
    • Their website contains very little information. No FAQ or Knowledge Base, I don't need help configuring my server but some VPS specific information would be nice, like how kernel upgrades are handled etc..
    • I can't reboot my VPS without going to their admin panel (i was told this is because of a bug in the current kernel). This is quite annoying during the initial configuration but after that it is just a minor annoyance.
    • Eek, my debian server is running a redhat kernel! Not that much of an issue, but they got the ownership on a couple of files wrong. No harm done, but my nitpicking self noticed that
    Even though I listed more cons than pros, the pros greatly outweigh the cons. The only major issue for me are the blocked ports, support couldn't even give a decent explanation, just that they wouldn't change it. I am probably going to move my server to another host because of this silly restriction, too bad because i liked the VPS otherwise.

Thanks for the reply Scott! I'm giving ServerAxis a trial and also noticed the lack of a virtual serial console and snapshots which is disappointing. However the features, performance, and price are excellent. Having support for x86_64 is a nice touch. I'll report back on long term stability as I learn how it is.

They dont accept paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by scottR
    • They don't allow IRC. This by itself isn't really an issue but the way they enforce this policy is. They do this by blocking all access to ports in the range 6660 - 7000. This doesn't just block IRC but many others as well, Bittorrent being one of the most well known, and a custom server I have to access.
    I've been a ServerAxis customer for about 6 months and I didn't know about that restriction. I agree that simply blocking incoming ports to a VPS is a bad way to accomplish this goal. It seems like I did try BT once and couldn't get it to work, now I know why. Thanks for letting me know!

Aside from that, I've been very pleased with ServerAxis. I don't need much hand-holding at all and I'm very happy to have a host that gives me a great deal on some great specs without making me pay for stuff I don't need. I'm also very happy with Xen; I like to be able to use tools such as "top" and "free" and get accurate results instead of inspecting some bean_counter file.

I agree though that a virtual serial console would give me much more peace of mind... I'm always scared to make changes to my firewall or sshd_config!

Cant get a response

Anyone else having trouble getting a repsonse from Server Axis this week?

I signed up with them four days ago (1.5 days to activate server, perfectly fine with that), yesterday I had two "uncommanded" server reboots on my VPS (Plan 1), I emailed their support department with information about my server, logs, etc, this was done at about 9:30 PM pacific time (Las Vegas), at approximately 10:30 PM I got a response on the cause of it and at 4:00 AM the next day (today) I received a follow-up email with the problem apparently fixed once and for all,

So if first impressions count, I am impressed,

-- sb

for those who use serveraxis now,

how long, in average, do you have your support ticket replied? and how often you submit ticket for technical support?
    i am considering serveraxis. although i really hope that i do not have to submit a ticket , but it's nice to have a quick responce when needed.

thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by ridwan
    how long, in average, do you have your support ticket replied? and how often you submit ticket for technical support?
    I've e-mailed support twice in the month that I've been using them. (Once for a rDNS request, and once for the server hiccup the other day) Both times I had a reply within an hour.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

I'm not impressed by support, it usually takes 2 to 3 hours before they reply with a single one-line answer.

When I sent a critical question (server was down) in the early afternoon (US time), they only answered the next morning. The answer just explained what they did and why i couldn't reach te server, not even proposing a solution. In the end it took nearly 24 hours for them to go in and change one line in a config file so that I could access the server and clean up the mess.

They used to have a pager for this kind of things, but they removed it from their website. My guess would be that they brought down a lot of servers at that time and support got to much work to do.

I was interested in ServerAxis so I am curious to hear from other customers about them. Is support usually quicker to respond?

What you fail to mention here is that your server was down because over the course of 30 days you did not respond to any of the emails we sent you. After you've ignored us for 30 days I don't think a 24 hour resolution is unreasonable.

I'm not impressed by support, it usually takes 2 to 3 hours before they reply with a single one-line answer.

When I sent a critical question (server was down) in the early afternoon (US time), they only answered the next morning. The answer just explained what they did and why i couldn't reach te server, not even proposing a solution. In the end it took nearly 24 hours for them to go in and change one line in a config file so that I could access the server and clean up the mess.

They used to have a pager for this kind of things, but they removed it from their website. My guess would be that they brought down a lot of servers at that time and support got to much work to do.

I've only been with them a few weeks but no complaints so far

?

Quote Originally Posted by ServerDave
    What you fail to mention here is that your server was down because over the course of 30 days you did not respond to any of the emails we sent you. After you've ignored us for 30 days I don't think a 24 hour resolution is unreasonable.
    Yes, and none of those messages made it to my mailbox while i receive other messages like invoices just fine. I checked with the server admins and no message ever reached our mailservers. The least you could have done is call me..
    That was a 24h + 2days for dns changes to propagate downtime.

Anyway, this just shows the importance of a virtual serial console and a website with more information. So to update my previous post, i'd say the pros still outweigh the cons, just not that much anymore.

Yes, and none of those messages made it to my mailbox while i receive other messages like invoices just fine. I checked with the server admins and no message ever reached our mailservers. The least you could have done is call me..
    That was a 24h + 2days for dns changes to propagate downtime.

Anyway, this just shows the importance of a virtual serial console and a website with more information. So to update my previous post, i'd say the pros still outweigh the cons, just not that much anymore.
    Your server admin says no email reached your mail server but our mail server says there were no delivery errors?

What I find interesting is that you claim to not have received any of the emails from support but then after the fact you did not seem to have any problems receiving emails from support. Are we to believe then it "just worked" or do you only respond to the emails you want to?

I didn't even notice that the emergency pager is now gone. That's a shame because I was OK with waiting hours for a support response when I knew that the "emergency" lifeline was always there.

Maybe too many people were abusing the "emergency" system? Are there plans to bring back this feature?

I just the first day to use the serveraxis's vps,but it downed when I emerge -e system my gentoo box.10 hours later,it still down
    My Personal Sites:Oh !!!MIYU-GのDAYs
    http://www.1221.in
    MY LIFE IS COOL,SO IS MY VPS I WILL TELL YOU MORE ABOUT VPS

I've moved a few sites over to for about 1 1/2 months. It's been a good experience until today, they've been down for about 3 hours in the past 24 hours. Send in couple of emails and pm serverdave (is he part of support/sales?) but only got a couple of generic emails reply; none of my email was answer; not sure why. Does anyone know if they have phone support?
    CRONHosting.com | ClickThese Web Directory | NextLevelArcade.com | AllTherapyTalk.com |

Quote Originally Posted by saidev
    I've moved a few sites over to for about 1 1/2 months. It's been a good experience until today, they've been down for about 3 hours in the past 24 hours. Send in couple of emails and pm serverdave (is he part of support/sales?) but only got a couple of generic emails reply; none of my email was answer; not sure why. Does anyone know if they have phone support?
    So Am I. No Questions Answered.From 2:57@beijing timezone the server down,I sent the support email,18 hours later.still downed.
    My Personal Sites:Oh !!!MIYU-GのDAYs
    http://www.1221.in
    MY LIFE IS COOL,SO IS MY VPS I WILL TELL YOU MORE ABOUT VPS

I have been with serveraxis for a little over a month now and so far I am pleased. My support emails are typically answered within 3 hours.

We have been having some problems with one of our virtual server machines but it should all be worked out now.

Unhappy

Has anyone else had trouble getting into contact with ServerAxis?

I sent an email to support@serveraxis.com and sales@serveraxis.com asking them a couple of questions regarding their Xen Opteron Virtual 2 server on the 17th, and I'm still waiting for a reply. I even sent them a reminder email from another email account in case there was something wrong with my email, but also no response.

Because I couldn't find another provider with same specs/price, I went ahead and ordered the VPS anyway, but it has now been 30 hours since I placed the order and still have heard nothing from ServerAxis other than an automated email saying we will be contacted by a sales representative.

I understand that provisioning the VPS server is not instant, but not receiving any updates or replies for a day and half is really frustrating.

Hello Andre, unfortunately ServerAxis's response to email can be very inconsistent. Sometimes they reply right away and sometimes it's much longer (although since being a customer I've never had it take longer than 8 hours or so to reply). Just this Monday my server hung on booting due to a config problem and their support fixed it very quickly.

ServerAxis are far and away the best feature/price combination, support (when they answer) are very knowledgeable and my VPS has always performed great. But it frankly makes me nervous that their response times can be so long, plus they no longer have an emergency pager, they have no customer forums on their website, and there is no virtual root console where I can troubleshoot boot errors. It also seems that the host server has had more problems (requiring reboot) in the past couple months than in the past, and they usually don't communicate to users when this happens.

All in all my experience with them is very good and I'm not yet considering leaving but I'll be happy to have more options once other Xen providers (hopefully) begin to match them on price. You just can't beat their $45/mo. for 1GB RAM, not even close, but I really wish I could build more confidence that my server won't be down for an extended period if there is a problem that is out of my control.

Sure, you get a lot of spec for the money, but their support really does suck the proverbial fat one.
    All my sites are down for over an hour now - no reply from support yet, so no idea what's causing it. There can't be more than a handful of VPSs on the box, so why can't all customers affected be emailed?

Even when you do eventually get a reply from support, it is usually terse and unhelpful - like they are doing you a favor...

My advice - steer clear if you expect good support - if you want a good spec XEN VPS and are prepared to take the risk that your site won't be down for hours at a time with no communication, then they are fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast