Question on VPS's and Private IPs

When a hosting provider offers "one dedicated IP" per VPS plan, does this mean it is truly a dedicated IP? In a shared hosting environment, he can probably have one IP per network segment with NAT'ed nodes. With VPS and such offer of dedicated IP, is this IP per machine or per image?

It is just that if it were per image (i.e., truly dedicated to me), I think this probably would require one NIC per image, right?

Hi!
    It depends on the setup. Virtuozzo can either be setup to used named conventions (no dedicated ip per VPS) or Ip-based VPSs..requiring one IP per VPS.

Openvz..what I have..has no such option. If you are going to have...say...twenty VPSs on server 1...you will (as a host) need to ask for at least twenty more IPs..that's not including the one IP that the main host uses..and cannot have a vps on.

That Ip really is dedicated...but not guaranteed "clean"..by no means. I have noticed if a IP has been used once in the past for Cpanel..either normally licensed or demo...they won't let *you* have a demo license. I don't think that's really fair..but..it's not a problem..yet.

One NIC card only...you could have two...I'm not sure how much extra it would cost...and if you could easily do loadbalancing and fallover with them.

The way it works...basically...the host node is a router...and routes all the traffic to and from the VPSs. This has performance problems..of course...but it works quite well.

Bryon

Quote Originally Posted by Amr Ramadan
    It is just that if it were per image (i.e., truly dedicated to me), I think this probably would require one NIC per image, right?
    For VPS it is usually dedicated IPs, i.e. having a public IP address that is exclusive for you. You don't need to have one physical NIC per image, as it is possible to create virtual NICs -- at least on Linux. I am not quite sure about Xen. However on Virtuozzo/OpenVZ the host server will create those venet devices and route traffic through. Not sure about Virtuozzo, but in OpenVZ 2.6.16+ with vzctl 3.0.11+ you can also create virtual ethernet devices and bridge that with your physical NIC.