Liquid Web, SoftLayer, or Server Wizards?

Which one would you go with for a messageboard that has a high traffic amount per month? (On avg: 7 Million hits and 55,000 unique visits).

I would go with softlayer but I have a bias towards them. ( I actually use the private VLAN)

SoftLayer is unmanaged, whereas the other 2 are managed. Which do you need?
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Contact Steven at Rack911. He can put together a cluster or single server and manage it for you. It sounds like this is what you need. Don't go for stuff like cPanel, etc. as that just adds bloat.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

A managed server would really be the way for me to go, as I really don't know that much at all. Cost might be prohibitive for a managed server, but I'd be willing to spend the extra cost to make sure what happened to me this weekend doesn't happen again.

What happened to you this weekend?

Softlayer+third party management is a good choice IMO.

They have nice deals, I just recently moved a vBulletin which always has 1,000+ users online at a time from liquidweb->softlayer and well it was well worth it.

-Scott
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

Quote Originally Posted by pixelized
    What happened to you this weekend?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=544279

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Mc
    I just recently moved a vBulletin which always has 1,000+ users online at a time from liquidweb->softlayer
    Interesting. Would you mind sharing with us which was your previous configuration (hardware) and which is your current one with your new provider?

Thanks.
    DirectorioVPS · List of VPS plans around the world
    ComunidadHosting · The Largest Web Hosting Forum In Spanish!

Quote Originally Posted by Apolo
    Interesting. Would you mind sharing with us which was your previous configuration (hardware) and which is your current one with your new provider?

Thanks.
    It would also be interesting to hear what kind of setup the site is running on the software side...e.g.. Apache or is this Lighty, etc.?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Not sure on the old specs the new ones though are,

2x's

Motherboard SuperMicro X7DBR-3 Intel Xeon DualCore DualProc Sata/Sas [2Proc]

Processor Intel Xeon-Woodcrest 5130-DualCore [2GHz]
    Processor Intel Xeon-Woodcrest 5130-DualCore [2GHz]

RAM slot 1 Generic 2GB DDR2 [2GB]
    RAM slot 2 Generic 2GB DDR2 [2GB]
    RAM slot 3 Empty
    RAM slot 4 Empty
    RAM slot 5 Empty
    RAM slot 6 Empty
    RAM slot 7 Empty
    RAM slot 8 Empty

Drive Controller Adaptec 4800SAS SA-SCSI RAID-1 Controller

Hard Drive 1 Fujitsu MAX3073 SAS 3073 [73GB]
    Hard Drive 2 Fujitsu MAX3073 SAS 3073 [73GB]

Just using apache 2 , php 4.4.4 and mysql 4

-Scott
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules

We recently moved a 400 user board to softlayer from the planet and its been doing great, the forum users had reported an increase in performence considering it was close to the same exact hardware. Personally I think softlayer would be the place to go.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    We recently moved a 400 user board to softlayer from the planet and its been doing great, the forum users had reported an increase in performence considering it was close to the same exact hardware. Personally I think softlayer would be the place to go.
    Agreed

-Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    SoftLayer tends to use higher quality hardware and not only that but their SATA drives are pretty quick - SATA II > SATA I