Streaming with Windows Media Service

I would like to stream audio and video with the windows media service. If I understand this right, I don't need to pay extra for the windows media service, just for the windows server 2003. I have never used windows for hosting services or streaming so far, therefore I'm a bit confused, which version of windows server 2003 I need and which license. Can someonw help me here?

Or is there a better solution to stream audio and VIDEO so that the windows media player can be used?

Yes ther is no need to buy any additional packages/software to run windows media service it is inbulit. You can opt win2003 standard edition itself.

Easy to configure and work with windows media server. Just adding suitable extension's/site in this will enough.
    Live Your DreamZ

I saw, that I can buy the win2003 standard editions with different numbers of CALs. How does this work with streaming? Do I need a license per client who watch the stream? Or are this licenses only for local users who connect to the server?

Auckland, New Zealand
    You just any standard windows 2003 version. You don't need to buy additional Cals. Those come into affect when you're doing more complex setups.
    BLUETRIDENT.NET - Reliable Shared, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions Provider
    Managed Hosting with Personal Service
    Highspeed Content Servers, Lighttpd, Ruby on Rails, Cluster Servers & Rich Web Application Hosting

You can purchase Windows 2003 Web Edition, as it's cheaper than Standard and Enterprise editions. There are no extra charges to pay for the users connected to your server/stream (as far as i know).

Windows Streaming Server is the best choice to broadcast audio and/or video, but if you only want to broadcast audio, SHOUTcast Server is the best solution IMO.
    Muhammad Waseem
    Inspedium Corporation (Pvt) Ltd.
    InsPanel - Hosting Control Panel for Windows 2000/2003

Thanks for the information. I just found the following on the microsoft site:

Note: Windows Media Services is not included with the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system, Web Edition or the Itanium-based versions of the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating systems.
    In this case I will buy the standard edition.