Win 2003 - Create/Add files but not modify permissions

Hi, i have a drawings directory on our windows 2003 server, i want to allow users to create/add new files to the directory but not be able to delete or modify... im concerned about accidents happening to our important files.

However i cant seem to find the right settings, as under special permissions tab the Create Files/Write Data allows for modification.

Any pointers so i can achieve this level of security?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

You need to assign modify permission for the user, I believe you are trying to overwrite or modifying the images through some means of script .. if it so then you need to assign modify permission for the appropriate web user. Let us know how you operate on this.........?

FYI: Try to inherit and reset the permission for the images directory.
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty

If you are very concern of your files, do backup reguarly on the folder. Script something that copy all the files to a backup directory accordingly to the day of the backup so you have copies of different day file.
    tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

Thanks for the replies.

As soon as the user drags the file into the images directory, it is moved there but cannot be modified or renamed, only the administrator can do this.

I have read its possible but every security combination i have tried doesnt seem to work. If i set to read only then i cannot create files in the first place, if i allow create files then the file can be modified!

Im so stuck

Quote Originally Posted by o-dog
    Thanks for the replies.

As soon as the user drags the file into the images directory, it is moved there but cannot be modified or renamed, only the administrator can do this.

I have read its possible but every security combination i have tried doesnt seem to work. If i set to read only then i cannot create files in the first place, if i allow create files then the file can be modified!

Im so stuck
    Seems to be the user has not modify permission. Are you sure that you have set it correctly. Try to inherit the permission for the user.

A new folder's permissions is inherited from its parent folder. So you should go to the root of the directory tree you want to reset, make sure the permissions there are set correctly, then go the the root folder's Properties -> Security -> Advanced, check the Replace Permission entries on all child objects checkbox, and press Apply/Ok
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty

sorry thats what i want to happen, at the moment the user can create the file in the images directory AND modify it (by virtue of the Create/Modify files attribute)

Chris! are your users uploading/writing data via FTP or you have a script which allows users to upload files?

From above, i guess the users are uploading data/creating files using FTP client... so, following solution should work for you, hopefully...

. Add ACL to the directory in Security tab and go to "Advanced" settings
    . Edit permissions entry for this user
    . Select appropriate option in "Apply onto" drop-down menu
    . And mark Allow/Deny checks for the appropriate privilleges
    . And apply these permissions to the children object (if required)
    Muhammad Waseem
    Inspedium Corporation (Pvt) Ltd.
    InsPanel - Hosting Control Panel for Windows 2000/2003

As you are no doubt aware the permissions are as follows:

Create Files/Write Data
    Create Folders/Append Data
    Write Attributes
    Write Extended Attributes
    Delete Subfolders and Files
    Delete

I have disallowed Delete Subfolders and Files, and i have allowed Create Fliles/Write Data so users can create files, i have also allowed users to Create Folders/Append Data.

Had a brainwave in that i will check what happens when i deny 'Create Folders/Append Data'.

Will keep you posted.

I assume
    create+add=modify but no delete.

I need to check one i get to work on monday n i will be back.

i dont think its possible with windows security permissions

Really appreciate your help, if you could let me know after checking would appreciate it very much.

Cheers