Shared host w/ php5 AND....

I'm looking for a shared host with php5 and the abillity to change the php.ini file. Specifically I want to turn off magic_quotes_gpc and a few other variables.

One host told me its not possible to do this with a shared host -- Do any of you know of this is possible?

Thank you
    Last edited by zoomee; 09-02-2006 at 11:09 PM.

I would search around the Offers forums and check with few hosts there that are already offering PHP5. Also try using the Host Quote option and see what you get.

Good luck!
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by zoomee
    I'm looking for a shared host with php5 and the abillity to change the php.ini file. Specifically I want to turn off magic_quotes_gpc and a few other variables.

One host told me its not possible to do this with a shared host -- Do any of you know of this is possible?

Thank you
    This is a PHP.ini adjusts settings for everyone, so that one host was pretty much right. You should adjust your code for the changes.

You can set php.ini only for one user if you run PHP as CGI.
    Also, you can do many changes through .htaccess without the need of modify php.ini
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

What are your other requirements and budget? You might want to try searching on www.findmyhosting.com

Most web hosts now offer both php4 + php5, and some have even started to offer php5 as default. Many changes for php can be made through .htaccess as Jedito explained above, or php.ini if the php is running as CGI for individual users.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    You can set php.ini only for one user if you run PHP as CGI.
    Also, you can do many changes through .htaccess without the need of modify php.ini
    Correct, you can also use the ini_set function to manipulate some of the settings prior to script execution:

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.ini-set.php

Any host using Ensim (and having PHP5 installed) should be able to accomodate this; Ensim runs PHP as a CGI for security reasons.