Online payment processor

Hi,

I need a good recommendation for online payment processor. Our requirements are quite simple:

- Charge customer automatically every year (annually)
    - Small amount to charge the customer ($15 / year)
    - Reliable and professional support (most important)
    - Good passback information (late payment, no payment, cancellation, etc.).

Any recommendation ?

Thanks!

search is your friend!

xTiNcTion

Quote Originally Posted by kapot
    Hi,

I need a good recommendation for online payment processor. Our requirements are quite simple:

- Charge customer automatically every year (annually)
    - Small amount to charge the customer ($15 / year)
    - Reliable and professional support (most important)
    - Good passback information (late payment, no payment, cancellation, etc.).

Any recommendation ?

Thanks!
    Sounds like you need an online payment processor plus billing software. Most processors that I am aware of will do the first three items on your list but the last item sounds like a need for billing software. Correct me if I am wrong.

BrilliantHost,

I found that most payment processors do not support annual charge to the customer.

About the passbacks, I meant something like an information that will be sent to an URL where I can use my own script to parse that information. As simple as that. Billing software maybe can do that as well.

But again, I am new to this so thats why I am asking any recommendation.

What do you use (if you have the same payment workflow like me) ?

Quote Originally Posted by BrilliantHosts
    Sounds like you need an online payment processor plus billing software. Most processors that I am aware of will do the first three items on your list but the last item sounds like a need for billing software. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BrilliantHosts

Yes I agree with you because only payment processors cant handle automatically monthly and yearly payments but he will need a billing software like modernbill or clientExEc

Regards

Talking

www.google.com is a great friend

Quote Originally Posted by xTiNcTion
    search is your friend!

You are all correct when you say the merchant account processor does not handle recurring billing. Based on the criteria set forth by kapot, billing software will be the best option. Payment gateways also offer recurring billing but their overall functionality is limited and the gateways carry a monthly fee themselves.
    John Conde
    Merchant Account Services
    | IT'S HERE: Merchant Accounts 101 : Learn Everything About Merchant Accounts

BrilliantHost,

I found that most payment processors do not support annual charge to the customer.

About the passbacks, I meant something like an information that will be sent to an URL where I can use my own script to parse that information. As simple as that. Billing software maybe can do that as well.

But again, I am new to this so thats why I am asking any recommendation.

What do you use (if you have the same payment workflow like me) ?
    I didn't read the first line very well, did I. I don't know any that will do re-occurring anual charges. I was thinking in terms of monthly charges which most will do.

I use Authorize.net for processing my payments. So they take care of your items 2 & 3. For items 1 & 4 I use ClientExec and H-Sphere. I use H-sphere basically to handle all of my hosting customers (Monthly and annual charges) and I use ClientExec to bill customers and charge credit cards for one off charges if they are not hosting with me. For instance I manage a couple of online stores for people that don't host with me. They call up sporadically with changes hey want made. After I perform the work they request I send them an invoice and charge their card using ClientExec. The billing software is what provides the feedback you are looking for.

Thanks for your reply. So basically, if the payment processor does not support re-occuring charges, the billing software can do this, right ?

However you need to have a merchant account to use with billing software . This is something that I cant do, because my business is still new and the amount of transaction is so low. I do have couple of customers already.

I will take a look on ModernBill and ClientExec then.

Which one do you prefer ? Based on your personal experience (if any) for easy to use and reliability.

Thanks for your reply. So basically, if the payment processor does not support re-occuring charges, the billing software can do this, right ?

However you need to have a merchant account to use with billing software . This is something that I cant do, because my business is still new and the amount of transaction is so low. I do have couple of customers already.

I will take a look on ModernBill and ClientExec then.

Which one do you prefer ? Based on your personal experience (if any) for easy to use and reliability.
    Most payment processors will either provide you with a merchant account or require that you have a merchant account. The billing software does not have a merchant account requirement. Here is what I have found. I started my first online biz over 3 years ago. I had no customers and I had not even sold anything yet and I got a merchant account. The key for me was to set my business up as a legitimate business. I did the research and got all the permits and registered with the state and county and filed a DBA and brought all the paperwork to my bank and they gave me a merchant account. You cannot get one if you are trying to start out under the table. I am not saying you are not a legitimate biz but you should have no probs getting one if you are.

I only have experience with ClientExec. I have never used ModernBill. But I can recommend ClientExec.

Hello Kapot,

When you sign up for the merchant account portion, just make sure that you indicate that you will be accepting annual payments. The reason why is that some merchant processors do not allow such merchants to be approved and if they do not know this upfront and find it out later, they may take action to hold funds on your account.

So simply disclose that info upfront to any processor that you interview to make sure that your account is approved for the kind of sales that you will be doing and you can avoid any later confusion or issues on that.

A billing software package like ModernBill or ClientExec can definitely automate the annual subscriptions for you so that is always a good option to consider. Another way that you could also implement it would be to use a payment gateway that supports recurring billing and which also provides you with the desired "pass back" information on each transaction.

That way you can synchronize a local database on your side with the billings that are being done by the payment gateway.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!