bliksemhosting - reviews wanted

Hi

I've had enough of my current host (downtime, terrible "technical" support and no customer service) - but am only hosting a small personal site

so after looking around for reasonably priced but decent quality hosting bliksemhosting stood out (their 99.9% guarantee or a free month is impressive)

i've looked via google and searched these forums and reviews seem to be generally positive but wondered if anyone had any other comments (or indeed could recommend any other hosts).

wht doesnt have specific review forums but you can find reviews just by browsing. There are some recent reviews here though about bliksem:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...archid=1402823
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Why not try a search in google for the name, you amy find reviews from other people posted on other websites.

Just found this, http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...bliksemhosting.

Hope that Helps
    Last edited by redihot.com; 09-02-2006 at 06:39 PM.
    redihot.com | low cost quality hosting
    Looking for a web hosting solution? Gain complete satisfaction today.
    With our 99.95% Uptime Guarantee, 24/7 Monitoring, Friendly Support, Cpanel/Fantastico, Domains and much more, why wait?

(i had just typed a longish post including links to other threads but then the '
    You need five posts before being able to use any of this board's vB code features. Including smilies and linking to URLs.' error came up and i lost the thread... in summary).

I was hoping that someone who uses their shared-hosting services could give an unbalanced view.

I've found quite a few reviews of the semi-dedicated, VPS, and reseller services, but few of the shared service.

There are a few recent threads that do give cause for concern (and i've noticed a bit of a pattern suggesting that whilst their support is usually good and friendly, there seems to be an undertone of replies being curt and doing only the minimum required).

Also from looking at their posts on the forum it would seem that any criticism results in an immediate attack. Whilst i accept they have a right to respond - it would seem they are at times a little over-zealous and perhaps a little too unfriendly. I'm concerned that this could mean impatience when it comes to any 'triffling' support issue.

People either seem to love them or (a few) hate them - but i can't find any recent balanced reviews. (and ones that give a host 10/10 or say they are 'perfect' obvious seem a little naive - it's only when things go wrong that a host is truly tested - and their recent problems (on another thread) don't make things sound too great).

I've been using their shared services for about 1 1/2 years -- been very happy with them. Tech support is helpful, no real issues....

Quote Originally Posted by zlod
    There are a few recent threads that do give cause for concern (and i've noticed a bit of a pattern suggesting that whilst their support is usually good and friendly, there seems to be an undertone of replies being curt and doing only the minimum required).

Also from looking at their posts on the forum it would seem that any criticism results in an immediate attack. Whilst i accept they have a right to respond - it would seem they are at times a little over-zealous and perhaps a little too unfriendly. I'm concerned that this could mean impatience when it comes to any 'triffling' support issue.
    Whether you get shared / reseller / VPS / dedicated, customer service from Bliksem is generally the same. I was a Bliksem customer for several months and left them because of the very points you mentioned above.

People either seem to love them or (a few) hate them - but i can't find any recent balanced reviews.
    I can't say I hate them 'coz I do mention in all my posts against them that despite their attitude, they seem to know what their doing. That is, as far as the technical aspects are concerned. As for their customer service, I'd say the rumors are true.

Ultimately, you be the judge as there are a lot of loudmouths in WHT who seem to exaggerate the issues. I could just be a loudmouth or I could be right.

So you'll have to read between the lines to figure out if I'm just one of those pain in the behind customers or I make a valid complaint as well. You can find my posts here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=530717
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=526020

In my opinion, they are balanced reviews. Although I left Bliksem for their attitude, I make it a point to mention that their servers and support were pretty rock solid.

As it is, you won't find too many complaints about Bliksem on WHT. But when you do, it's about their attitude. If you can live with attitude like that or don't believe "the very few" of us (and growing, haven't you noticed?) and want to try it out yourself, then sign-up and let us know 6 months down the road.

My recommendation? I've used several different hosts since May 2003. First hand experience: Stay away from Site5. My favorite is HostGator and I'm very happy with ResellerZoom as well (I have both Budget and Advanced. Stay away from their Budget plans). By the way, these are all Reseller Plans and I understand you want a review of Shared Hosting. There are many aspects of the service that's pretty much the same anyway.

Good luck!

Here you can see Jav (BlikWerk) respond to customer issues first hand.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=457749

That's generally his attitude (I experienced it myself) and that's why I left. But it's the same attitude that allows him to keep his servers stable as well.

Maybe this can help you get a feel of how it will be like as a Bliksem customer.

I actually went with them (and did get what seems to be a great deal (although it does break your rule of paying for a year in advance ... let alone an apparent 4 years! (2 free)).

I did read some very disturbing things about the company before going with them (for example, the fact that they say there are "Free Site Backups" but haven't always seemed to have bothered with this.

And especially what you said here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...3&postcount=13

"They do have a tendency of "scolding" their customers. I always feel like with Bliksem, the roles are reversed. It is the customers who always have to defend themselves and prove something to Bliksem, rather than the other way around."

I have experienced that. Luckily as long as the site stays up i'll have no cause for much need of the support.
    (although they have a policy where i have to give them my password to change it - which does seem overkill and a little too heavyhanded)

They really ought to learn that manners cost nothing. There have been more and more comments on their attitude - and whilst i can't fault the hosting itself it's the little things like how polite replies are, or how helpful they are (how was i meant to know in advance that they want my password to change it) that they are also judged on.

I have experienced that. Luckily as long as the site stays up i'll have no cause for much need of the support. (although they have a policy where i have to give them my password to change it - which does seem overkill and a little too heavyhanded)

They really ought to learn that manners cost nothing. There have been more and more comments on their attitude - and whilst i can't fault the hosting itself it's the little things like how polite replies are, or how helpful they are (how was i meant to know in advance that they want my password to change it) that they are also judged on.
    Good luck and make sure to come back later with a further review.

My very first day with Bliksem -- my very first ticket -- I had my phone ringing and Jav very angry saying that I was being rude to their support staff, etc. He was speaking to me for about half an hour (overseas to the Philippines) and was really "passionate" (a nice word for ...) about hosting.

The thing is, after the phone call, I was actually impressed. I said to myself "Hey, this guy's really serious about his business" and I felt that would mean really stable servers for me. But as I went further down the road, I got more of the same "attitude" from them. At a certain point, if I wanted to open a ticket, I'd have to think twice (even ten times) because I'd asked myself if it was worth opening a ticket and risking getting scolded again!

Darn it man! I am the customer. Why was I putting up with such BS! So I decided to let them be and let them go.

Before Bliksem, my number one concern had been stable servers (heck, what more would you want?). After Bliksem, I am reminded that customer service (or after sales service and support) has and will always be the primary factor to consider when buying a product or subscribing to a service.

Because of Bliksem, I get to really appreciate the other hosts I work with.

Thanks Jav, for reminding me. I hope, you, too will learn about customer service before it's too late.

I have experienced what you're talking about: i had the audacity to question their password policy (i think there's a bigger security problem with me giving anyone my password than them allowing me to change it) and their replies could have been a little better phrased to avoid any abruptness on their part (or perhaps these 'security' policies could actually be mentioned somewhere prior to signing up).

And their forum is still down - which always gives me cause for concern.

All that said, Jav himself has always given me polite, courtesy and reasonably details replies - which is a one thousand percent on my last host - who were quite simply a joke.

(Although i still have an unresolved issue of several different (via different ISPs and servers) traceroutes all timing out at the last hop. They are adament that it's not them, but at least one uptime monitor is being set off every so often because of it)

I'm not happy with Bliksem. My support ticket and even forum posts have not been responded to for over a week now. I can't access my phpmyadmin. They said they're going to fix it but it's been a long time now. What are these people thinking? Their forum looks like a ghost as well. No one seems to be there to respond to anyone posting. It's basically desserted. I would definitely be leaving them soon as i'm not happy with them.

A. M.

Good luck with your search for a new host. Seems that Bliksem's slowly disintegrating.

Quote Originally Posted by wowplanet
    I'm not happy with Bliksem. My support ticket and even forum posts have not been responded to for over a week now. I can't access my phpmyadmin. They said they're going to fix it but it's been a long time now. What are these people thinking? Their forum looks like a ghost as well. No one seems to be there to respond to anyone posting. It's basically desserted. I would definitely be leaving them soon as i'm not happy with them.

A. M.
    How long are you with this hosting? Show your URL, please.

Quote Originally Posted by wowplanet
    It's basically desserted. I would definitely be leaving them soon as i'm not happy with them.

A. M.

The Sooner The Better

Bliksem has fallen off. The only thing there good for is sending out bill notice 20 days early...... WOW.

they seemed so good at the start.

now their forum is down, support tickets were sent to a "temporary" different place, and now no place to submit tickets.

AND on top of that since the outset of my hosting i've had trouble with a couple of uptime monitoring services giving false positive downtime reports and people unable to connect to the site.
    (I know the site isn't down, but there is something causing it - and it's too much of a coincidence to suggest it's everyone else's problem and nothing to do with the site) But i'm at a loss as to what it may be and how to fix it

Strange how they just up and disappeared. Haven't they been around the block for quite some time?
    Personal Website: Here | Currently Hosted By: HostGator | Twitter: @Quartz87

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz_
    Strange how they just up and disappeared. Haven't they been around the block for quite some time?
    they're still there - and uptime is still good
    it's just they seem to be having a load of difficulties at the moment and seem to be keeping customers in the dark about it

they're still there - and uptime is still good
    it's just they seem to be having a load of difficulties at the moment and seem to be keeping customers in the dark about it
    Ahhhhhh, well that's better than being gone then
    Personal Website: Here | Currently Hosted By: HostGator | Twitter: @Quartz87

okay - still no response from them at all.

...looks like it's time to look for another host (and perform a chargeback with paypal and the credit card...) ...

... any recommendations for decent (but reasonably priced) shared hosting?

... any recommendations for decent (but reasonably priced) shared hosting?
    What are your requirements and budget? I would recommend doing a search on www.hostsearch.com

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    What are your requirements and budget? I would recommend doing a search on www.hostsearch.com
    1gb space
    5gb transfer
    and a reasonable amount of each of the cpanel options (addon domains, mysql, email accounts, etc)

I've no set budget - i'm willing to be quite flexible - as i'm getting tired of getting stuck with poor host after poor host

also - thanks for the link - but it's almost impossible to tell 'how good' each of the hosts are (not that personal recommendations helped me this time anyway)