Just a few questions regarding resellers.

There are somethings which are really confusing me about these reseller plans I have seen.

On eBay I noticed they have a large amount of *unlimited* reselling packages which allow you to unlimited badwidth and hard disk space. Yet I have seen other companies on the web which would charge you the same fee for maybe only 5gb space and 50gb bandwidth. Why is this i mean I havnt notices anything dodgy about the ebay ones they seem legit and all.

Secondly if unlimited plans like the exist then why arent companies offering huge amounts of diskspace for very little money like 100gb space for 20 bucks a month or w/e. It doesnt seem to make sense. Im new to the whole reselling thing so if these questions sound a bit noobish forgive me lol.

Thanks

Lea0001.

Simple question for you, lea.

If these Hosting companies can offer 'unlimited' Web space, for example, and their Server is a computer which is similar to the one you use at home, then how come you do not have 'unlimited' Web space for your own computer?

Because there is no such thing!

Hosters offering 'unlimited' anything on a Server which definitely has limits, is all a Marketing gimmick. They try to lure the greedy and/or the unknowning, into using their Services. Most likely the features which really count, like Uptime & Support, will be sorely lacking.

Buyer beware.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Lea001,

maybe hosting is a new area for you. Not sure if you have ever taken a public bus? though I am sure you have seen one. Now imagine if the bus company suddenly introduces an unlimited seater bus that will take you from point A to point B, do you think that would be possible? Can you imagine that happening? Well, the same applies to web hosting.

As mentioned by Rob, there is a limit as to what your server/computer can do and can hold. There is no such thing as unlimited hard disk

Secondly if unlimited plans like the exist then why arent companies offering huge amounts of diskspace for very little money like 100gb space for 20 bucks a month or w/e.
    The real question would be, why would anyone be offering limited hosting?

ok thanks for that guys. I have another question though .

How is it possible to compete with sites that offer plans close to 1$ a gig(and large bw) when most reseller plans recommend that you sell your hosting for 9.95/ for only 200MBs. I do not undestand how there is such a wide price range. And there are many hosts like ix which are definently legit.

ty

its easy....the simple answer is...

you don't compete

Why is there a $10000 car and a $1million dollar car? well they are targetting different market

Yeah but thats the thing what does it offer over high webspaced providers etc.

Its like were selling a ford for 200,000 and theyre selling a mercedez for 10,000 thats how I see it. So what do the smaller spaced companies offer. The 200mb ones.

Most of them can offer reliability, fair pricing and peace of mind.

Massive overselling will catch up to providers sooner or later, and that's when your site and those under your reseller account will suffer.

Buy what you need at the moment, don't buy for the future. The odds are, you'll never come close to using such huge allotments (could be that you won't use it, or the host has a TOS which won't permit you to, etc..)

In the end, it's your choice, but I would prefer a Mercedes at any price compared to a Ford

So what do the smaller spaced companies offer. The 200mb ones.
    In many cases, a physical presence within reach. People, especially the ones not really accustomed with the web, will like the old way of doing business.

Also, for many stores or people, at the end of the day, it won't make a big difference whether you give them 10Gb of space or 200mb, as their site will need well under 100MB anyway.

I never looked at it that way, but being a new seller on the market, I have found it extremely difficult to sell any webhosting services at all! There are so many different company and people always seem to look for whats the cheapest and has the biggest userbase, which sucks for new comers.

Well this sounds bad, but you need an "angle" be it personal support or its all based in x city in the usa .Something to make people choose you, You have to get the customers, If you don't 100% win them over they will go for someone else.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !