Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Internet charges, bandwidth and speed

Hi everyone,

Assuming everyone uses cable internet i.e. broadband, what are your internet charges per month? Is your bandwidth limited? Is your Internet time limited? What is your Internet speed in terms of kbps or mbps?

I use 256kbps Internet which is priced at Rs.200 per month only but is limited to 450MB. I use about 1GB of bandwidth per month, so I have to renew my pack atleast once in a month if not twice.

If I want 256kbps Internet unlimited, I will have to pay Rs.1900 per month.

Here is my ISPs website:
    http://www.net4uindia.com/packages.htm

The best speed it provides is 1mbps only.

For your information, 1$USD = Rs.45 approx
    - Yash Rungta

Here in the USA I pay $30/ month..... I get 3Mbps down and 768kbps up.
    Unlimited bandwidth...... there are better provider for $10 more.
    Web Hosting Review - Real Reviews by Real People Submit your company and get a link to your site, Read Reviews GET YOUR Voice HEARD and REVIEW your HOST NOW!!! Check out our IT Blog Tips & Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by WebGuru72
    Here in the USA I pay $30/ month..... I get 3Mbps down and 768kbps up.
    Unlimited bandwidth...... there are better provider for $10 more.
    That is an excellent deal mate! 3Mbps for only $30/month! I wish we had the same rates here as well
    - Yash Rungta

i pay $45 (USD) a month for 7 mbps down, 3 mbps up, unlimited anything else

Soon you will you can get 100mbps for $150/month here too
    Web Hosting Review - Real Reviews by Real People Submit your company and get a link to your site, Read Reviews GET YOUR Voice HEARD and REVIEW your HOST NOW!!! Check out our IT Blog Tips & Tricks

Our ISP has promised that it will be reducing the rates this October. Hopefully, I will be able to afford a 1mbps connection, I have never worked on a connection faster than 256kbps, man, life would be soo faster!!!!

There was a time when a 64kbps unlimited cable connection here used to be an luxury, that about 4-5 years ago. Now, 64kbps is considered real slow, even here in India.
    Last edited by yashsr; 09-02-2006 at 12:41 AM.
    - Yash Rungta

I can only get dialup because TIme Warner won't run cable 1/5th of a mile to my house unless I pay $10,000

Canada, 10mbps, unlimited, $40cdn/month

Canada, 7.5 mbps, unlimited, around USD 40, and includes a basic digital cable TV package.

Quote Originally Posted by Carp
    I can only get dialup because TIme Warner won't run cable 1/5th of a mile to my house unless I pay $10,000
    Oh How sad! What is the maximum speed that one can get on dialup? Is it 56kbps or have these increased as well?
    - Yash Rungta

I pay $50 a month and get 4 mbps down and about 512k up.

What really stinks is that I have satellite tv and the cable station charges an extra $10 per month if you are not a cable tv susbscriber.

Vancouver, Canada. Telus 'high' speed, 3.6mbps down about $80 CAD
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

I pay $60 and get 6mbit unlimited from Adelphia - cable.

It's the best available for a reasonable price in my neighborhood. I've been quoted around $400-450 to run a fiber line here though, which isn't too bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Carp
    I can only get dialup because Time Warner won't run cable 1/5th of a mile to my house unless I pay $10,000
    Grab a contractor and offer him $300 to lay a roll of RG-11 down from their nearest tap to your house. Have him do the groundblock, RG6 from there to the cable outlet he installs by your computer.

They say it wont work, but trust me, if the tap is set right, it will unless you split the line for TV. Then you lose too much signal. I used to contract out to TW and Charter. I've run lines 1000 feet and got good TV/Internet. I have run RG-11 almost 2000ft and still had good internet. Thats why I was their main computer contractor, I could always make it work. RG-11 is about as thick as your small finger, so is thicker than the normal RG6 cable. I have cheated and used it in place of a trunk line like this to get a customer serviced when cable comp wouldnt run more trunk.

Have him run the outlet and RG-11. Tell him "dont" hook it up at the tap. Then call TW and say you have a line to the pole. You would like someone to come hook it up and install a modem. Just "dont" tell them who the contractor was. You might want to go look at their line. If you see a big silver amp on the line within 100ft or so of the last tap, there's enough juice to get to your house at 1/5 mile, but prob not enough to split the line for tv also.

How to tell if it's a contractor? He drives his own vehicle with sometimes a TW magnet on the side. I never put one, and they needed me too bad to fire me over it

Sorry, dont know any contractors in your area.

Just upgraded my line to 10mbps down 1mbps up for $59.95/month for first 6 then moves to $79.99.
    Looking for GameServer Domains ???
    I have ALOT of them !!!
    PM me if interested.
    GeekGathering.com

I pay €30 per month and I can theoretically get 8mbps, but I can only get 2mbps in my area. I've also no bandwidth cap, so all is good I guess.

25 Euro for 2mbps down and 256kbps up
    most of traffic if free, but some traffic is metered and limited with very complicated system for posting here,

Our bandwidth is 8Mbit down, 448Kbit up. We also get 50GB of transfer per month with 1GB extra costing £1. Never hit the limit though. We pay £29.99.

A lot of ISPs claim "unlimited" transfer, but I bet if you sat downloading at full speed 24/7 for a month they wouldn't be too happy
    Steve

8mbit download, 1.5mbit upload with unlimitted downloads (apprantly). but then syaing that i download a lot and never hit the limit.

we pay £40/month but that includes a mobile phone contract with 1000 texts and 500 minutes any network and free k800i.

£25.95/mo, up to 8mbps down but not compatible in area , 256kbps up.
    Ampinet.co.uk - UK Webhosting - Coming Soon!
    99.99% Uptime Guarentee | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 24/7 Support

Paying 9Mpbs download and almost 1Mpbs upload.. Only $30 a month
    > UNIXIELHOST | Affordable Web Hosting
    > cPanel/WHM & Fantastico
    > http://www.unixielhost.net

I live in Uruguay - South America and I pay $ 50 for 512kb/128kb (and never work that speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude
    Grab a contractor and offer him $300 to lay a roll of RG-11 down from their nearest tap to your house. Have him do the groundblock, RG6 from there to the cable outlet he installs by your computer.

They say it wont work, but trust me, if the tap is set right, it will unless you split the line for TV. Then you lose too much signal. I used to contract out to TW and Charter. I've run lines 1000 feet and got good TV/Internet. I have run RG-11 almost 2000ft and still had good internet. Thats why I was their main computer contractor, I could always make it work. RG-11 is about as thick as your small finger, so is thicker than the normal RG6 cable. I have cheated and used it in place of a trunk line like this to get a customer serviced when cable comp wouldnt run more trunk.

Have him run the outlet and RG-11. Tell him "dont" hook it up at the tap. Then call TW and say you have a line to the pole. You would like someone to come hook it up and install a modem. Just "dont" tell them who the contractor was. You might want to go look at their line. If you see a big silver amp on the line within 100ft or so of the last tap, there's enough juice to get to your house at 1/5 mile, but prob not enough to split the line for tv also.

How to tell if it's a contractor? He drives his own vehicle with sometimes a TW magnet on the side. I never put one, and they needed me too bad to fire me over it

Sorry, dont know any contractors in your area.
    My friend is a contractor but it's all through the woods and i don't think he can get his hoe in there.

10down 2up 80m
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

I'm on a 10Mbit/1.5Mbit cable connection for about $45 a month. That's $45 Canadian which is about $40 US.

There is no download limit / cap or any real restrictions... and I actually get these speeds outside of the network.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast